English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 December 2020, 14:14   #941
kamelito
Zone Friend

@Thor
I’m sorry but like I wrote others low level debugger/monitor does not have issue with the keyboard with the same WinUAE configuration so you’re code should be able to do the same without changing the settings of the emulator.
Old 19 December 2020, 14:52   #942
Thomas Richter

I do not know what other implementations do, and it is not my matter. They probably time through the vertical blank. However, COP doesn't, as it is supposed and required to work without a vertical blank. In such a case, it needs to rely on CIA timing. Its keyboard timing is entirely build around a delay loop that is computed from the ~700kHz CIA clock speed. If emulators don't get this correctly, that's a fault of the emulator and not a fault of the debugger.
Old 20 December 2020, 14:22   #943
IanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
It has been tried. No one gave a shit.

If there would have been money to be made, this thing would still exist.

MorphOS and AOS 4.1 are barely alive.

The market has changed to a large percentage of the use of mobile OSes over the last ten years.

Desktop OS is kept around for coders and professionals. No casual (probably at least 95% of the market) will build a pc and put Windows, MacOS or god forbid, Linux on it anymore.

Amiga is barely a market for a few thousand people left.
That's niche hobbyist, but nothing more.

See above.

Call me whatever you want, you are still wrong.
As I said before, try reading what was written and apply some basic comprehension skills. That way you might actually say something useful.

The desktop market is still very much alive. Just ask Apple, Microsoft and those tens of thousands of people writing/porting to hundreds of Linux distributions. Oh, and Apple have just designed and released ultra powerful ARM processors for your 'dying' market, whilst AMD and Intel constantly realease new desktop CPUs. Nvidia and AMD might disagree about the market being dead... their gaming oriented GPUs sell by the million. Maybe you should take a look at the real world for a change.

Your argument about products like Amithlon not being developed commercially is answered by your own comment about the size of the Amiga user base. Of course, you only have to look at products like (Win)UAE, which is free and also exceptionally popular, to see the flaw in your argument. Following your logic, it would't exist, but it clearly does. There is no huge financial incentive in the Amiga market. OS 3.1.4 and 3.2 won't make anyone rich.

Morphos and AOS4 are, for better or worse, still alive. Aros is being actively developed for several architectures... and that is free. Yet again contradicting your view. Clearly some people give a shit... just not you. You just talk shit.

One of us is clearly wrong... and by looking at the evidence, it is obvious who it is. ?
Old 20 December 2020, 14:39   #944
IanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
It has been tried. No one gave a shit.

If there would have been money to be made, this thing would still exist.

MorphOS and AOS 4.1 are barely alive.

The market has changed to a large percentage of the use of mobile OSes over the last ten years.

Desktop OS is kept around for coders and professionals. No casual (probably at least 95% of the market) will build a pc and put Windows, MacOS or god forbid, Linux on it anymore.

Amiga is barely a market for a few thousand people left.
That's niche hobbyist, but nothing more.

See above.

Call me whatever you want, you are still wrong.
As I said before, try reading what was written and apply some basic comprehension skills. That way you might actually say something useful.

The desktop market is still very much alive. Just ask Apple, Microsoft and those tens of thousands of people writing/porting to hundreds of Linux distributions. Oh, and Apple have just designed and released ultra powerful ARM processors for your 'dying' market, whilst AMD and Intel constantly realease new desktop CPUs. Nvidia and AMD might disagree about the market being dead... their gaming oriented GPUs sell by the million. Maybe you should take a look at the real world for a change.

Your argument about products like Amithlon not being developed commercially is answered by your own comment about the size of the Amiga user base. Of course, you only have to look at products like (Win)UAE, which is free and also exceptionally popular, to see the flaw in your argument. Following your logic, it would't exist, but it clearly does. There is no huge financial incentive in the Amiga market. OS 3.1.4 and 3.2 won't make anyone rich.

Morphos and AOS4 are, for better or worse, still alive. Aros is being actively developed for several architectures... and that is free. Yet again contradicting your view. Clearly some people give a shit... just not you. You just talk shit.

One of us is clearly wrong... and by looking at the evidence, it is obvious who it is. ?
Old 22 December 2020, 23:42   #945
ancalimon
Supernormal

I'm confused about piccasso96 v3. Will it be available to purchase?
Old 23 December 2020, 01:59   #946
Anachronist

Thanks for all of the great work that you and the team do @Gulliver! One thing that I would love is full ANSI support in the shell- 16 colors, etc. It's a fringe feature request, but I make a lot of games and programs for the Amiga using ANSI and topaz. Keep up the great work!
Old 23 December 2020, 13:41   #947
kamelito
Zone Friend

What would be nice is to have all OS components checksums so a program could check if the system files has been overwritten and can replace them. Once the checksum are verified a requester could be put it place to warn the user that a program try to overwrite the system files and denied it or just don’t permit to do so except if the update came from Hyperion.
Old 23 December 2020, 14:02   #948
daxb

Nice idea and I think a script can do this easily but where should the checksums come from (source)? Online? The checksums should be save against manipulation. Or is the goal to prevent changes by accidents (install scripts, user did a mistake, virus, ...)?
Old 23 December 2020, 16:16   #949
ajk

Are there any changes in 3.2 to the window gadgets? Particularly, an option to have them drawn in a 1:1 aspect ratio to better cater for square-pixel screen modes?

The traditional style looks good at 640x256 and similar modes, but these days there are lots of options to use larger modes be it within emulation, with a good scandoublers, graphics card etc.

The 3.1.4 FAQ says that the code which was used to implement this functionality in 3.9 is lost (and possibly wasn't cleanly implemented anyway) but have things perhaps changed since?
Old 23 December 2020, 16:44   #950
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Nice idea and I think a script can do this easily but where should the checksums come from (source)? Online? The checksums should be save against manipulation. Or is the goal to prevent changes by accidents (install scripts, user did a mistake, virus, ...)?
The checksums, or signatures should be provided by Hyperion who received from the lead developer(s) I guess.

Last edited by kamelito; 23 December 2020 at 16:57.
Old 23 December 2020, 16:47   #951
kamelito
Zone Friend

I wonder if NVRAM could be used to secure the access of the Amiga using a password mechanism that once activated couldn’t be stopped by inserting a login page before the early startup one.?
Of course it should also be displayed during the first boot and prompted again when the Amiga has been switched off.

Last edited by kamelito; 23 December 2020 at 16:57.
Old 24 December 2020, 11:07   #952
gulliver
BoingBagged

Hi, I would like to share with you that we are currently working on the finishing touches of the AmigaOS 3.2 NDK and also sorting out the inclusion of a much needed OS contribution.

Merry Christmas!
Old 24 December 2020, 12:26   #953
kamelito
Zone Friend

Great! After the update 2 for OS4 that is good news.
Happy holidays!
Old 24 December 2020, 12:33   #954
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Hi, I would like to share with you that we are currently working on the finishing touches of the AmigaOS 3.2 NDK and also sorting out the inclusion of a much needed OS contribution.

Merry Christmas!
Thanks for such good news !
Old 24 December 2020, 18:53   #955
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
Are there any changes in 3.2 to the window gadgets? Particularly, an option to have them drawn in a 1:1 aspect ratio to better cater for square-pixel screen modes?

The traditional style looks good at 640x256 and similar modes, but these days there are lots of options to use larger modes be it within emulation, with a good scandoublers, graphics card etc.

The 3.1.4 FAQ says that the code which was used to implement this functionality in 3.9 is lost (and possibly wasn't cleanly implemented anyway) but have things perhaps changed since?
You will have to wait and see.
Old 24 December 2020, 19:37   #956
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
Are there any changes in 3.2 to the window gadgets? Particularly, an option to have them drawn in a 1:1 aspect ratio to better cater for square-pixels.
Frankly, I'm not a fan of this since it cannot be implemented in a clean way. The problem is that some programs expect a fixed size "sizing" gadget, i.e. exactly 11 pixels high. If that is not true, intuition would have to guess and make adjustments to what the program requests, with possible side effects.

So, for example, the workbench, the console, ViNCEd are fine anyhow and can take care of a sizing gadget of a different than the default size, but Golded, for example, cannot.

I personally would prefer if programs would indicate how to size the sizing gadget, and whether they can handle resized sizing gadgets correctly. Unfortunately, that is always the case.
Old 24 December 2020, 19:38   #957
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
Thanks for all of the great work that you and the team do @Gulliver! One thing that I would love is full ANSI support in the shell- 16 colors, etc. It's a fringe feature request, but I make a lot of games and programs for the Amiga using ANSI and topaz. Keep up the great work!
ViNCEd exists and can do that for you - and you can even use it as a boot console now.
Old 24 December 2020, 21:20   #958
ajk

@boemann

That was my plan all along

@Thomas

I can indeed imagine software exists that will draw things incorrectly. Still, actively developed programs can be updated, others might be patched, and I don't actually remember this causing widespread issues on my 3.9 setup back in the day. It is naturally going to depend on what particular software an individual uses, but the option would be nice to have, even if it can't be quite perfect
Old 24 December 2020, 21:58   #959
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post

Merry Christmas!

What great Yuletide news!
Old 28 December 2020, 18:35   #960
matt3k

Do you have file size limitations on the radar to be increased? Backing up to my nas requires multiple files...