English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 August 2007, 15:16   #81
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
In most cases these adapters have a driver which exposes a virtual 'COM' port, and I've yet to find any serial port based software that doesn't work with them.
You need to be careful though to buy the right one as most of them offer limited serial compatibility (like just emulating TX, RX signals). I have one of those cheap adapters and it doesn't work with utilities on the disk.
Old 22 June 2009, 20:56   #82
ppill

Hombre 0.89rc1

http://www.box.net/shared/67r9rm7zk2

New features:

- pull-down menus
- DMS support (unpacking) (man, that took hours to figure out)
- antivirus software included (bootblock.library)
- dozens of other minor changes/clean ups

This version is really just a work-in-progress preview of what's to come... so handle with care

DMS support although works won't allow you to decrunch files larger that 525kb on single drive systems. Mounting the necessary handlers and copying the xdms executable to ram: doesn't leave much room for the .dms file itself (not to mention the memory needed for xdms to work). With two drives you'll get away with anything that fits on a 720kb FAT formatted disk. You can also use files accessed via the NET: mount entry but this can get painfully slow

Anyway... enjoy

Old 23 June 2009, 00:13   #83
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Luv you.

You know what I'm gonna ask though... can you fit CFD and Fat95 on for first time PCMCIA CF card users?
Old 23 June 2009, 04:54   #84
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@ppill

Its looking great my friend, howmuch space have you got left on the FDD ?
Old 23 June 2009, 08:42   #85
ppill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Luv you.

You know what I'm gonna ask though... can you fit CFD and Fat95 on for first time PCMCIA CF card users?
Love you back guys

Too little to do anything worthwhile. I'll just add a couple of keymaps for different layouts, that's all I'm afraid.

There's another floppy I'm working on that focuses on PCMCIA. It's just a slightly modified CF_ClassicWB adf that I use to boot of an HDF. More of that next week
Old 24 June 2009, 00:03   #86
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Great work ppill. Thanks.
Old 04 July 2009, 11:02   #87
Info-Seeker

Great work you are doing here PPill, first class all the way. I have recently been decking out a 1200 and came across some interesting stuff you might find useful for your A1200 version. I noticed a bunch of people talking about a cf card solution for the 1200. While this is great, they would still have to write out the ADFs to floppy to use them. The CF card would give you the benefit of additional storage space and possibly allow for multiple disks to be sent at a time rather than writing them out as they come in, but it doesn't really address the need to write them to floppy for use.

During my research I came across this little gem on AmiNet, an app called ADF Device - ADF_Device.lha. It allows you to mount up to 16 virtual floppies and easily swap adf images in and out via command line. I found it extremely useful for installing apps and looking through multiple disks in my archive. I can not even begin to tell you how much time it has saved me. I have the 1200 set up in my bedroom while my 4000 with most of the stuff on it is on the other side of the house in my office. It's a bit of a walk, not to brag or anything. After multiple trips back and forth, a few bad floppies, and incompatible versions, this little beauty has really made a home for itself here, and it is only 14k LHArc'd. It may warrant attention for your A1200 version, at the least come in handy for you!

-Info
Old 04 July 2009, 12:26   #88
ppill

Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it

And thanks for the suggestion I'll certainly give it a try.

There at least a dozen of similar utilities like FMS, xfs.device, file.device, vdisk.device etc. and all have their shortcomings. Have a look as well. Maybe you'll find something more useful.

The floppy I mentioned before won't really be an A1200 version of Hombre. It will be just a bundle of useful, preconfigured software that uses the PCMCIA CF adapter. And you can do a lot more than just mount CF0: and copy files over

Can't really tell when it'll be ready but I'm getting there.
Old 04 July 2009, 23:24   #89
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
The floppy I mentioned before won't really be an A1200 version of Hombre. It will be just a bundle of useful, preconfigured software that uses the PCMCIA CF adapter. And you can do a lot more than just mount CF0: and copy files over

Hi ppil,

There's no rush, mate. I'm really looking forward to this one, but even if it's only half as good as your previous offerings it'll be well worth the wait!

prowler
Old 09 January 2010, 01:44   #90
Cammy

Quote:

Heya Ppill, I'm really looking forward to the A1200 disk you're making. I think Hombre is great, and an A1200/A600 solution with PCMCIA CF/SD support would be awesome. I have an ADF Transfer Kit disk here by pcfreax which boots up with an older version of TrackSaver GUI which works well enough, but it would be nice if there were a few extra options in the menu like Hombre has.

Any progress on the new disk?
Old 09 January 2010, 17:09   #91
ppill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Heya Ppill, I'm really looking forward to the A1200 disk you're making. I think Hombre is great, and an A1200/A600 solution with PCMCIA CF/SD support would be awesome. I have an ADF Transfer Kit disk here by pcfreax which boots up with an older version of TrackSaver GUI which works well enough, but it would be nice if there were a few extra options in the menu like Hombre has.

Any progress on the new disk?
I'm afraid there's hasn't been much progress. I just don't have the time

There is a very early version that I put together some time ago but it's not ready for release. I do plan on finishing it sometime next month during the winter break. Can't really say when exactly.

Anyway thanks for the intrest

Hombre's had quite a few downloads (around 400) so I guess there are people out there using it. This one should attract a bigger crowd
Old 10 January 2010, 19:43   #92
Cammy

Hey, that's no problem, I can totally understand having no time! I hope you get some over your Winter break, we're waiting patiently

As for Hombre, I have a suggestion if it's not too much to ask. Many Amiga users now have AmigaOnes, Pegasos IIs, and Sams running AmigaOS4 who can not write to Amiga floppy disks just the same as PCs (without Catweasels of course) and so are also stuck with the problem of having to find another way to transfer ADFs over a serial cable to their classic Amiga to write them back to disk. This problem is solved by the recent Transfer tool for 68k and PPC Amigas on Aminet - http://aminet.net/package/comm/misc/transfer . Perhaps it could be added to the other transfer methods, making Hombre even more useful to more Amiga users.

Thanks for all the good work
Old 05 July 2010, 00:07   #93
Ballisticbrian

God, I need to read through this thread carefully and work out what I need to do, but it's clear this ppill guy is a legend! cheers!

Old 07 January 2011, 12:55   #94
ppill

So I'm working on an update of Hombre and was wondering if anyone had any success in using DosBox (serial, parallel ports emulation) to connect to an Amiga.

I'm thinking of programs like TwinExpress, EasyTransfer, Paradise, Parnet etc.

I'm really looking for a way to get 115200 bauds serial transfers without having to boot into DOS.

Thanks!
Old 22 January 2011, 00:16   #95
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Attachment 13047

This is what I see when I boot my current 'kick 1.3' setup. OK, it's not really a workbench screen but that's only because the Workbench that came with that version of the OS is pretty useless.
Just my little secret project that will hopefully be released next week
Looks better than Wb 2 or 3 in corporate grey aha
Old 27 February 2011, 04:48   #96
Shnoober

Quote:
So I'm working on an update of Hombre and was wondering if anyone had any success in using DosBox (serial, parallel ports emulation) to connect to an Amiga.

I'm thinking of programs like TwinExpress, EasyTransfer, Paradise, Parnet etc.

I'm really looking for a way to get 115200 bauds serial transfers without having to boot into DOS.

Thanks!
It seems like getting 115k would be an issue for most Amigas but if you can manage it wouldn't WinUAE be a better option on the PC side? That way you don't get any mutilated filenames.

Anyway, I also wanted to say how much I appreciate your work on Hombre. It's really helped me out a couple of times even though I had to modify it to include diskspare.device.

Old 28 February 2011, 12:23   #97
ppill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnoober View Post
It seems like getting 115k would be an issue for most Amigas but if you can manage it wouldn't WinUAE be a better option on the PC side? That way you don't get any mutilated filenames.

Anyway, I also wanted to say how much I appreciate your work on Hombre. It's really helped me out a couple of times even though I had to modify it to include diskspare.device.
Twinexpress manages to get 115k on an A500 so not a problem.

DOSBox would be great since you wouldn't have boot into dos to use twinexpress which is the fastest way of getting files over a null-modem cable.

Thanks for the kind works

Another version (probably the last one) is in the works. Nothing earth shattering but still...
Old 16 March 2011, 09:28   #98
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Heya ppill,

I'm happy to hear you want to continue with Hombre It's a really great disk to use with Linux/apccomm. Earlier tonight I brought 0.89 to a club meeting and people were quite impressed with your work.
Old 16 March 2011, 11:21   #99
ppill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethylene View Post
Heya ppill,

I'm happy to hear you want to continue with Hombre It's a really great disk to use with Linux/apccomm. Earlier tonight I brought 0.89 to a club meeting and people were quite impressed with your work.
It's always great to hear that people are using Hombre

I never got apccomm to work with my linux setup but at least it's useful for other people

I've got some time off now so a new version (final one I think) should be out in a week or so.

Anyway, thanks for spreading the word and the disk
Old 18 May 2011, 04:04   #100
ppill

Help needed!

I seem to have found a weird bug when it comes to floppy based transfers in Hombre when using two disk drives (the external one is used to read PC FAT32 720kb floppies, the internal to write back images to Amiga disks... these can include zipped ADF, DMS, and normal ADFs chopped in two).

After writing the files to an Amiga disk the FAT floppy becomes unreadable (it acts as if it's write protected and needs to formated if you want to use it again).

This could be due to my external drive's interface as it's been acting up lately... I went through different drives, cables... and I'm stumped.

It should work! Well it works... the files are written correctly it's just that the PC floppy gets corrupted somehow.

Sooo, I'm looking for people to help me test this.

You need an Amiga with 1.3 ROMs, 1Meg of memory and an external drive.

EDIT: link removed check the post below for the new one.

Here's a link to the test version (PAL and NTSC).

It's late and I haven't had any sleep yet If someone's interested I'll post the instructions later today.

This is not a full version of Hombre v1.01 just the files needed to test this issue.

Last edited by ppill; 18 May 2011 at 13:48.