English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 31 March 2021, 16:12   #61
Daedalus

Yeah, that's a shame because the game looks much better under Warp3D IMHO.
Old 31 March 2021, 19:08   #62
Zarnal

It' ok with Voodoo + G-Rex. But...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 March 2021, 19:10   #63
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarnal View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
Quick video of how it looks for me i.e. the native 68k version.

I disabled sound though, and not sure why the video is so small; the game is played RTG Fullscreen at 720 x 576 like so
https://streamable.com/6qb4t9
Old 31 March 2021, 19:38   #64
Zarnal

WinUae + G-Rex + JIT + Warp3D Voodoo3 beta emulation.

Mission 2-68K and " hardware " mode :

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Zarnal; 31 March 2021 at 19:51.
Old 01 April 2021, 10:06   #65
Valken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarnal View Post
WinUae + G-Rex + JIT + Warp3D Voodoo3 beta emulation.

Mission 2-68K and " hardware " mode :

[ Show youtube player ]
That is actually VERY GOOD! Almost PC like! Can you share the WinUAE config after you have debugged it?
Old 01 April 2021, 14:16   #66
Zarnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
That is actually VERY GOOD! Almost PC like! Can you share the WinUAE config after you have debugged it?

Hello,

a simple WinUae configuration will be insufficient.
There are steps to perform when the WB is installed (drivers, Warp3D, libs, variables).
Old 01 April 2021, 16:11   #67
DivingFinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I've never done it under WinUAE, but I

I wonder if it wasn't an official release, maybe compiled for an individual to fix some issue? But good that it's available one way or another now anyway.

i was one of the programmers for the Amiga port of Freespace and also mostly responsible for this special beta version. It was chosen to release it as a beta because the changes we're quite major and we didn't have the resources to playtest it properly. I did most of the testing myself. I think the 68k version got very little testing because I only had 68040 and it was too slow to run the game properly.

If remember correctly the most major changes were rewriting the music streaming code from scratch and porting the code from StormC to GCC in preparation for a possible OS4 port in the future.
Old 01 April 2021, 16:16   #68
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Hi @DivingFinn, welcome to EAB. It would be great to read a bit more about your coding and game creation history on the Amiga.
Old 01 April 2021, 18:59   #69
zipper

I suppose here is a part of it: ftp://codetapper.com/pub/exotica/old...nen/index.html
Old 01 April 2021, 19:09   #70
DivingFinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Hi @DivingFinn, welcome to EAB. It would be great to read a bit more about your coding and game creation history on the Amiga.
I got my first amiga in the early 90's. It was the A500 with mem expansion. It was mostly used for gaming and music purposes. I didn't do any coding with it.

In the mid 90's I got a used A1200HD and soon bought a 8mb mem expansion for it. This is when I first started experimenting with coding. I think I started with Arexx and Blitz Basic. I mostly coded some small tools for my own use but released at least one on aminet. Not very useful today but back in the day surprisingly many found it useful. http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/hpy

Later I upgraded to Blizzard-IV 030/50Mhz and even later to BlizzardPPC and BVisionPCC. This is the time when I started experimenting with C. I ported some ppc.library versions of games to WarpOS and added some improvements to them. Most "famous" ones were ADoomPPC (versions after 1.3) and WarpQuake. I also ported some tron type game (gltron?) and a ppc native version of the gcc compiler.

After a while Hyperion contacted me and asked if I was interested being part of the team to port Freespace for the amiga. After Freespace was finished the plan was to port Aliens vs Predator. Hyperion had access to the Mac version of the source code but it was heavily modified and didn't include everything necessary to compile it so I believe the plan was cancelled.

After the next gen amiga thing didn't catch on I kinda lost interest in the amiga scene. I also lost interest in coding because it didn't feel "right" on linux or windows machines. I do still code but only occasionally and usually just some small tools I need for my own use.

I have recently restored my old A1200 and have started coding with Blitz Basic again (back2roots ) and maybe I'll even release something again in the future.
Old 01 April 2021, 19:17   #71
DivingFinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post

WOW, nice find
Old 01 April 2021, 19:32   #72
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

@DivingFinn Welcome back!

Thanks for your efforts on wos gcc back in the day. Tried to contact you in the past for the startup source code for gcc wos (startwos.c) but I guess my message never arived (Talking years ago here).

(sorry for the OT)
Old 26 October 2023, 22:33   #73
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Just as an FYI:
"FreespaceUpd68k_1.lha" only updates the "Freespace.exe" file.

"Freespace68k Beta 2.lha" contains an updated "Freespace.exe" file and "ajoy.library".
So really you can skip applying "FreespaceUpd68k_1.lha", and just apply "Freespace68k Beta 2.lha" to have a working / bug free game

Thanks for the info.

ajoy.library?

Is that an update to the controller requirements. I gather you needed multiple buttons on your controller like a CD32 pad or pc joystick as the Amiga keyboard didn't have the same buttons used in the pc version for things like power control - unless Hyperion changed that?
Old 27 October 2023, 12:53   #74
Captain_ Kal

Obviously not Amiga related (yet ) , but have you ever tried Open Freespace?