English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 September 2022, 21:59   #1
Leon Besson
Banned

BSC AlFa/Data Oktagon 2008 SCSI issue

Yo! bromigos!

I’ve managed to pickup a BSC Oktagon 2008 SCSI Rev 7 Zorro Card with 6MB RAM installed.

After having an issue with Defective Card messages fro Kickstart (Pushed down on all chips and Cleaned Edge Connector with Contact Cleaner) I have now managed to get the card to be partially seen.

The partially seen bit is that I now can access the 6MB RAM. The other side the SCSI part doesn’t appear to be working

Now when I boot up sysinfo from bootable floppy and investigate. I don’t see a Oktagon.device being shown in Libs? When I look at the Boards then I can see entries for the Oktagon card and the RAM (4MB and 2MB). Under drives the SCSI button is greyed out.

I have tried both a Apple 350MB and Seagate 2GB Barracuda drives. Both drives power up and spin. Tried the jumpers and using Termination on both sides of the cable.

I’m guessing the ROM is bad. Doesn’t look like an original as it appears to be a EPROM. Again taken this out and re-seated and no joy.

Anyone else who own one of these got any recommendations?
Old 14 September 2022, 13:38   #2
Leon Besson
Banned

Looking at this, it appears I might need to take the plunge and buy another ROM chip.
There appears to be a Oktopussy ROM which fixes the 68060 issue and allows for bigger drives. So will buy that and report back.
Old 14 September 2022, 14:54   #3
Jope
-

The device is visible under Devices if it has been initialized, you need to click the cycle gadget until the right page shows up. Nevertheless, Oktapussy is probably a better choice for an expanded Amiga.

The SCSI button is only active in that screen, if you click on a hard disk partition that looks like it could support SCSI bus inquiry.
Old 14 September 2022, 14:59   #4
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The device is visible under Devices if it has been initialized, you need to click the cycle gadget until the right page shows up. Nevertheless, Oktapussy is probably a better choice for an expanded Amiga.

The SCSI button is only active in that screen, if you click on a hard disk partition that looks like it could support SCSI bus inquiry.
The 2GB drive I fitted already has a OS39 install with boot set. I can only conclude that 2GB is too big if the current ROM is working.

But I also don’t see any LED activity on the SCSI side.

I’m test running this in a Rev B A4K with 16MB FastRAM with a 030+FPU. Board is recapped and so is PSU.
Old 28 September 2022, 01:22   #5
Leon Besson
Banned

Thought I’d best give you Bromigos! An update to this saga.

Bought and installed a Oktopussy ROM. Still no joy with the SCSI side of things. Seller even gave me a bootable HDinstall disk in German. Das ist Nicht Gut! Still no Oktagon.device being shown up or any sign of a disk.

Still can see 6MB of extra RAM so part of the card is still working.

After reading the manual about the card. It mentions about a login page? And even pressing and holding “F1” on power up?

Anyone whose got one of these cards shed any light if there is supposed to be a early startup BIOS settings for these?
I know on the Phase 5 603 and 604 cards holding “ESC” key gets you into a menu to change SCSI settings. Does the Okatagon 2008 have something similar?

Thanks Mangs!