English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 26 October 2020, 00:25   #1
xboxown

Issue with my PFS3...

Hey guys,

I am using a 260 GB HDD with file system PFS 3 all-in-one version 0.19. It is the experimental one that suppose to see beyond 127 GB hard drive space. It have been working for a long time and only when I started extracting some archives to my HDD it went down. PFSDoctor cannot fix it...as it attempts to deal with the offending partition my Amiga video signal goes down and it attempts to reboot. Workbench sees the partition and when I attempt to open it from disk icon it freezes but I can see all files from CLI and access them. All the folders that was put out in workbench no longer appears in workbench.

What advice do you have and what is the file system for pfs3?
Old 26 October 2020, 03:27   #2
klx300r

I unfortunately had the same thing happen to one of my drives a few months back (with non beta release) and had to start over again but this time used the latest FFS that came with OS3.1.4 update.

Best advice I can give you is that no matter what file system you use please make sure to regularly back up your important stuff to keep them safe.
Old 26 October 2020, 06:18   #3
xboxown

It is one folder...one that is putting my hard drive...it is the game SuperWormy folder.

I cannot delete it...it is write protected, I cannot rename it...it is write protected and even pfsdoctor fails when attempting to modify this partition. How to remove the write protection so I can get rid of this offending sector and how do I disable this sector from writing to it?
Old 26 October 2020, 19:11   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"lock dhx: off" in shell should remove write protection.

Those two problems are unlikely to have anything in common and there is nothing that can be done without having access to drive image.

Experimental stays experimental until there is some kind of filesystem torture tester.
Old 26 October 2020, 20:12   #5
xboxown

It is a shame I lose everything because of one single folder .

Especially when I have downloaded games and played deep in them and have my saved game....sadly I have lost all my data.

Is 3.1 the latest? When I add the file system it says version 19.2. Is that correct?
Old 26 October 2020, 20:29   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It most likely is recoverable if you can image the broken partition and somehow find a way for me to download it. (I'll keep it private).

Unfortunately most likely it is too late to find out what actually happened but at least it should be possible to fix pfsdoctor crash.

19.2 is latest.
Old 26 October 2020, 20:31   #7
xboxown

Well...it is too late now....I have lost all...and I mean all my data....everything....and now I am formatting it using 19.2.

I pray this disaster would not repeat itself.
Old 26 October 2020, 20:50   #8
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxown View Post
Well...it is too late now....I have lost all...and I mean all my data....everything....and now I am formatting it using 19.2.

I pray this disaster would not repeat itself.
Why do you not backup your data?
Old 29 October 2020, 06:11   #9
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
Why do you not backup your data?
How do you backup 36 GB worth of Data in an Amiga? You cannot burn CD or DVD in an Amiga and saying uploading the file via ftp is not a good idea

When I try to do lha for compressing the files the first thing it does...it attempts to compress superwormy which is the corrupted file and result in freezing while freezing files....

If I attempt to use pfsdoctor to fix the hard drive and it reaches to that point it puts the video is down and causes the Amiga to reboot or crash.
Old 29 October 2020, 10:32   #10
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ Maybe you should have tried to plug a second drive and then copy all the files.
Just an idea...
Old 29 October 2020, 11:57   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Fastest way is to get USB adapter and use PC to image the drive. 36G is nothing.
Old 29 October 2020, 18:10   #12
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Fastest way is to get USB adapter and use PC to image the drive. 36G is nothing.
The actual hard drive is 230 GB. Alas, it is too late.