English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 November 2021, 18:49   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Shit Game Time: Power Drift (Amiga)

Hi all, It's Friday again which means a new edition of Shit Game Time and this time I have been asked to play and shit-rate Power Drift on the Amiga.
One ugly choppy moving pile of messy poo.

This is a paid request by youtuber "Ray C", I hope you enjoy it,...or not, I don't really care

POWER DRIFT (AMGA) SGT Review: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by ZEUSDAZ; 02 July 2022 at 00:54.
Old 12 November 2021, 18:59   #2
zipper

Yes, a mess. With help of little acceleration it was a tad better - not difficult to master.
Old 12 November 2021, 22:18   #3
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Casually there is in this same forum the following thread (by me) looking for a solution or a remake...

[Brainstorming] Power Drift and pseudo 3D circuit games
Old 12 November 2021, 22:39   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
And it was SO GOOD for C64! I liked it much more than arcade original.
Old 13 November 2021, 01:28   #5
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

Oh my goodness.. Just played it and the gameplay IS really bad. Graphically looks good but the rest is definately crap!

The cracked (or crapped), Defjam version is the only trained version but it still doesn't make the gameplay enjoyable at all.
Old 13 November 2021, 14:22   #6
rothers

I checked out the C64 version and wow - it's far far better.

I do appreciate what the Amiga programmer tried to do, it's a full 3D engine using sprites, the Amiga just didn't have the power to do it (at least with the knowledge at the time).

Assuming it's got it's timings coded correctly I'd imagine it looks good on an 030.
Old 13 November 2021, 19:36   #7
Torti-the-Smurf

Power Drift on the Amiga

That should be interesting

Thanks Zeus; i will watch it right NOW !
Old 16 November 2021, 00:19   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah not much to say about this one, we already have a thread dedicated to taking it apart and not putting it back together again I'm so glad I never got this one back in the day, I already had Turbo Outrun for my choppy needs.
Old 16 November 2021, 00:36   #9
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Considering what it's actually trying to achieve, it's actually NOT too bad... just that the Amiga definitely couldn't handle the amount of stuff it's trying to throw around. I'd hazard a guess that it's an ST conversion? so perhaps it could have been faster if using the blitter... (I've not looked into it, so maybe it does/doesn't)
Old 16 November 2021, 01:12   #10
lesta_smsc

The concept was nice but it was trying far too hard for the sprites. Super Hang On, Lotus and Chase HQ did well for a similar theme but for some reason this just caused huge slow down which may be the reason it plays so badly. Anyone tried this on accelerator to see how well it speeds up!?
Old 16 November 2021, 07:19   #11
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I did in a simulated 1200: performance is better however handling is not good and the main sprite is too big
Old 18 November 2021, 20:41   #12
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
The concept was nice but it was trying far too hard for the sprites. Super Hang On, Lotus and Chase HQ did well for a similar theme but for some reason this just caused huge slow down which may be the reason it plays so badly. Anyone tried this on accelerator to see how well it speeds up!?
Forgot to add this video test i made of a1200 settings - HAD to replace the music with one of my mods, also because was testing for a possible improvement

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 November 2021, 20:49   #13
rothers

It's quite an impressive engine really, this could have been a great game with more work.
Old 18 November 2021, 22:00   #14
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Considering what it's actually trying to achieve, it's actually NOT too bad... just that the Amiga definitely couldn't handle the amount of stuff it's trying to throw around. I'd hazard a guess that it's an ST conversion? so perhaps it could have been faster if using the blitter... (I've not looked into it, so maybe it does/doesn't)
I invite you in the other thread where i did look for evidences, reverse engineer and engines
Old 19 November 2021, 23:05   #15
PatmanQC

I always thought it was decent on the Amiga. By no means arcade perfect but the programmer did a commendable job trying to re-create the arcade experience
Old 25 November 2021, 15:52   #16
SunSpire

Ugh, that's a nasty frame rate. Seems unplayable on an unexpanded A500.
The box art image somehow reminds me of Combo racer, although the vehicles are completely different. But maybe that'd be a more fun to play candidate, it has multiplayer and comes with a built-in track editor.

[ Show youtube player ]

World Rally Fever for PCDOS also comes to mind, which really exaggerated on that pseudo 3D'ish look and feel of Power Drift.

[ Show youtube player ]

Hmm, was there ever a conversion of Street Racer for Amiga?

Last edited by SunSpire; 25 November 2021 at 16:02.
Old 25 November 2021, 16:02   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSpire View Post
Hmm, was there ever a conversion of Street Racer for Amiga?
A1200, yes... They should have called it Ice Racer.
Old 26 November 2021, 06:23   #18
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSpire View Post
Ugh, that's a nasty frame rate. Seems unplayable on an unexpanded A500.
But actually it is playable. Despite the low frame rate the controls are quite responsive.

My arcade gaming skills are poor, but I managed to reach level 4 after only a few tries. The secret? Calibrate the mouse. In ZEUSDAZ's video you can see him consistently over-steering and then getting upset when he crashed. The other secret? Stay off the edges of the road, then you won't crash as much.

Some other complaints are a bit off-base too. Some graphical 'glitches' are in the original arcade game too, an inherent result of the way the roadway is rendered. The music isn't as good as the original, but it's not bad either. The car sprite is about the same size as the arcade version.

Here's a video comparing the arcade original to various home computers and gaming consoles. From ZX Spectrum to Dreamcast the order of playing matches the quality of the port. The Amiga version looks faster and has much better sound than the Atari ST version, despite both having the same codebase. Only the 'high-end' gaming consoles did a better job.

[ Show youtube player ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powerdrift.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	73929  
Old 26 November 2021, 09:47   #19
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

the only thing that video proves to me is: the Amiga version should have been an improved version of he C64 version rather than a poor arcade port.

If I had a dreamcast I'd definitely have bought this game, motion sickness be damned.