English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 May 2017, 18:59   #1
ZEUSDAZ

New Sh*t Game Time video: TOP BANANA (Amiga - STINKER ALERT!)

Hi everyone and welcome to another addition of the Shit Game Time review section, this time I shit-rate the SHOCKING Top Banana on the Amiga A500 requested by youtuber "Crlgroup".
Sick bucket, second pair of eyes and ears are advised for this one!
Shi*t rated at the end of the video!
CONTAINS SWEARING!
[ Show youtube player ]

Zeus.
Old 28 May 2017, 21:40   #2
Nobby_UK

I knew about it but thought it was a PD Game.

Much too much going on in the background.
Old 28 May 2017, 23:55   #3
Superman

I remember playing this on an Amiga Format coverdisk and it really is a terrible game.
Old 29 May 2017, 00:33   #4
idrougge

This was an Acorn original.
Old 29 May 2017, 01:15   #5
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
holy bugger, the main character looks like Mickael Jackson in super wierdo mode!
Old 29 May 2017, 11:50   #6
clebin

It may be crap but I'm glad it exists! The world would be a duller place without Top Banana in it.

I liked the bit in the video where the reviewer finds himself laughing at the stupidity of the game, which is a validation of sorts for Top Banana (unless you plonked down £26 for it!)

It was nice seeing that genuine emotion in the video and it gave me a smile. I'm not a fan of these mock-angry game reviews otherwise, except something like Zero Punctuation (if it's still going) where time has gone into writing a clever script a la Charlie Brooker, rather than just unscripted swearing. Sorry Zeus, I like your other stuff!
Old 29 May 2017, 13:40   #7
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Zeus laughing the "mmmm" sound effect cracked me up too.
Old 29 May 2017, 13:52   #8
ransom1122

MMM MMMM EEEHHH MMMM ah that sound effect makes me laugh all the time.
Old 29 May 2017, 22:01   #9
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
It was nice seeing that genuine emotion in the video and it gave me a smile. I'm not a fan of these mock-angry game reviews otherwise, except something like Zero Punctuation (if it's still going) where time has gone into writing a clever script a la Charlie Brooker, rather than just unscripted swearing. Sorry Zeus, I like your other stuff!
You may enjoy my "let's play" section on the channel then as those vids are of games I enjoy which don't disgust or anger me as in hardly any colourful language
Sh*t Game Time vids are nothing but dog poo quality games which will automatically show my true feelings and not put on in any way, they really hurt my health!
Old 30 May 2017, 16:23   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
It may be crap but I'm glad it exists! The world would be a duller place without Top Banana in it.
I agree!!
What kind of balls does it take to
1) Make this kind of game and
2) Publish it
?

The game is not absolutely terrible, but the super WEIRD approach at its art is what makes it unpalatable for most. It's confusing as fuck and I wonder what kind of drugs were used in the making of the game

Like, what in the fuck is going on here?

This video reminded me of this weird-ass game and now I want to play it through some day. Thanks!
Old 30 May 2017, 16:45   #11
BrooksterMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I remember playing this on an Amiga Format coverdisk and it really is a terrible game.
This is my same experience, in fact that coverdisk was my very first Amiga Format shortly after getting our A500.

I just remember the sfx was absolutely insane and coming from the ZX Spectrum I still thought it sounded awesome - particularly the rip of the Catchphrase game show buzzer.
Old 30 May 2017, 21:19   #12
nobody

Absolutely terrible. Anarchy everywhere. Most epic that it's 2 disks and costed 26£ instead of given for free in the streets.
Old 31 May 2017, 17:25   #13
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I know. I'm the person who had to put it there.

Not that I actually had any input into the choosing process. I was just told it would appeal to the "alternative community". Green Party Eco activists.

Still waiting for them to show up and say they liked it - but I did get to speak to the people who put it together, who did explain that it was just an experiment that got bought and marketed as a commercial enterprise.

(shakes head).

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 31 May 2017 at 17:34.
Old 31 May 2017, 17:31   #14
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
and I wonder what kind of drugs were used in the making of the game
In between you, me and the garden gate - none.

IIRC The rest of the industry were bombed off their tits, when it came to platform games and shooters anyway. Oliver Twins excepted (squeaky clean guys, unlike me).

I think it was more a case of the enthusiastic amateurism rather than narcotic use, and that was my impression when I met Hex and asked them about it, some years later.

They didn't use decks either on the set. Twin Macbooks. Still, danceable tunes anyway.
Old 31 May 2017, 18:10   #15
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Cat View Post
I know. I'm the person who had to put it there.

Not that I actually had any input into the choosing process. I was just told it would appeal to the "alternative community". Green Party Eco activists.

Still waiting for them to show up and say they liked it - but I did get to speak to the people who put it together, who did explain that it was just an experiment that got bought and marketed as a commercial enterprise.

(shakes head).
Ouch. It looks like trying to appease people who have no interest in video games has a long tradition
Old 31 May 2017, 18:15   #16
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Cat View Post
I think it was more a case of the enthusiastic amateurism rather than narcotic use, and that was my impression when I met Hex and asked them about it, some years later.
They didn't use decks either on the set. Twin Macbooks. Still, danceable tunes anyway.
You're going off your mouth again with dis-info.
Old 31 May 2017, 21:04   #17
ZEUSDAZ

So Mr. Pat The Cat, does that exuse the bullsh*t positive reviews on the front of the box???
I think not, bottom line they were crud at programming a game, drugged off their heads and used bullsh*t fake self positive reviews placed on the box whilst charging £26, I gave it 100 shits which it totally deserved and what Zeus says goes in the SGT reviews and Zeus says 100 shits!!!
Hex you were FU**ED IN THE HEADS FOR THIS GARBAGE!!!
Old 31 May 2017, 21:39   #18
Amiga1992

Jeez, you're really angry about this game
Old 31 May 2017, 23:16   #19
idrougge

Remember that this was originally an Acorn Archimedes game. The Archimedes games market was always a bit like the Amiga games market in 1997, so naturally the game was received differently than it might have been had it been an Amiga original.
Old 01 June 2017, 01:38   #20
Sinphaltimus

I'll play it for free.