English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 28 March 2007, 22:28   #41
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosale.co.uk
Thanks everybody for all the advice, I'll give it a shot.

And yes, I'll try to do the same for the Prehistorik CD.

wow the coolest amigaseller around
Old 28 March 2007, 22:32   #42
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Thanks everybody for all the advice, I'll give it a shot.

And yes, I'll try to do the same for the Prehistorik CD.
WONDERFUL!!!!!

Thank you SO VERY MUCH!

Could you please upload them to TheBoss's ftp when you've iso'd them? I'm sure he would be happy to give you an account over there (if you don't have one already that is) in exchange for these two gems

Last edited by fisken uno; 28 March 2007 at 22:43.
Old 28 March 2007, 22:32   #43
DamienD
Banned

Dizzy just beat me to it...

Anyway, I've been reading all your posts in the SPS thread retrosale.co.uk

If only I had a real Amiga then I would definitely try to image all the disks that you've offered to post and get them straight back to you ASAP

You are an absolute LEGEND!!! Thanks for trying to help out the Amiga community in the way that you are
Old 28 March 2007, 22:43   #44
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy

wow the coolest amigaseller around
I second this, it's very nice to offer this to the EAB community.
Old 28 March 2007, 22:48   #45
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
I second this
...you mean third or fourth this
Old 28 March 2007, 23:03   #46
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
...you mean third or fourth this
Breakfasted a clown today, Damien?

Btw: Your pm storage is full.
Old 29 March 2007, 14:03   #47
fisken uno
Zone Friend

*waiting in excitement to hear how the ripping process goes*
Old 29 March 2007, 22:24   #48
viddi

Hey boss, you got it.

AND I LOST THIS AUCTION JUST BECAUSE OF YOU

Old 30 March 2007, 09:13   #49
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
sry I didnt check this thread out for a few days so i had no idea you where bidding on it too viddi (whats your name on ebay?) You are mostly just interested in making a clone, right? I'll do that as soon as I get the game

I hope you didnt go after Prehistorik CDTV too, it is in new condition so I went for it...expensive bunch!, ouch

retrosale.co.uk: Do you offer any special Amiga collectors rebat for us CDTV/CD32 collectors?, if so include it in the invoice please
Old 30 March 2007, 09:19   #50
retrosale.co.uk

Hi

Ok, I was able to dump Prehistorik and have successfully tested it under CDTV emulation using WinUAE. And yes, the CD-Audio (which I really like!) was emulated perfectly ...

But I'm afraid there's definitely something strange about the format of the Sherlock Holmes CD. I tried every app I could throw at it, but all struggle to read it (there almost certainly can't be any damage to the CD, as the surface is immaculate as you'd expect for a new CD i.e. there isn't a single mark/scratch on it!)

I have tried using the 'best' of the images with WinUAE, but it wouldn't go past the ICOM splash screen. But the ORIGINAL does exactly the same thing under WinUAE, so I suppose there's still a minor chance that the CD-Image *might* work on an actual CDTV (or CD32).

Anyway, I have asked said "Boss" (who also won both auctions) for some FTP Information, and if he obliges, I will upload Prehistorik (plus the Sherlock Holmes CD-Image, though I am doubtful whether it will work) to the server.

Then it would be up to the Amiga emulation/preservation community to decide how to distribute them!

--
Dave.

P.S. We actually have the PC-CDROM version of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective as well, if it's of interest to anyone reading ... ?!?!
Old 30 March 2007, 09:23   #51
retrosale.co.uk

Elo there Boss! (our posts 'crossed')

Congrats on the auction wins!

If you can email me your FTP details I'll try and put CD-Images for both games* on your server (though it probably won't be until Sunday at the earliest). * = Sherlock Holmes image might not function

re: discounts for persons involved with preservation. Well, if I was actually selling my own stuff then I might, but all these discs are being eBayed on behalf of a third party, so I'm afraid I really can't. :-/
Old 30 March 2007, 09:32   #52
fisken uno
Zone Friend

@retrosale.co.uk: Good job! Looking forward to FINALLY be able to play Prehistorik CDTV!

About Sherlock... If the original behaves the same there might indeed be a chance that the clone works "on the real thing". There really isn't much more you can do if you've Clone'd it... Except perhaps making an image on a REAL Amiga and transfer it back to PC but this seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

Anyhow... Thank you so very much, man.
Old 30 March 2007, 09:35   #53
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
hey thx man I'm glad I can finally add these two games into my private collection
Ah okay selling for another person, well it never hurts to ask and that person sure had some interesting cdtv games

You are welcome to upload those clones onto my server, although its offine for the next 4 hours.

You can use the default account to login and upload, if you are interested in some games there, I can make them available

FTP Server:
IP: animepowers.myftp.org
Name: cd32
Pass: cd32
Port: 21

PS: Will send you an email shortly.
Old 30 March 2007, 09:43   #54
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
P.S. We actually have the PC-CDROM version of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective as well, if it's of interest to anyone reading ... ?!?!
I might depends on the price
Old 30 March 2007, 10:05   #55
viddi

@ TheBoss:

I´m phénix_noir but I don´t want Prehistorik

Okay, I´m back home soon and download the SH-image when it´s available.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by viddi; 30 March 2007 at 12:02.
Old 30 March 2007, 15:23   #56
thor

Quote:
But I'm afraid there's definitely something strange about the format of the Sherlock Holmes CD. I tried every app I could throw at it, but all struggle to read it (there almost certainly can't be any damage to the CD, as the surface is immaculate as you'd expect for a new CD i.e. there isn't a single mark/scratch on it!)

I have tried using the 'best' of the images with WinUAE, but it wouldn't go past the ICOM splash screen. But the ORIGINAL does exactly the same thing under WinUAE, so I suppose there's still a minor chance that the CD-Image *might* work on an actual CDTV (or CD32).
Thanks for trying to image SH. I can't get past the ICOM screen in WinUAE either, on a CD32 it works a bit better (see earlier posts by nujack and me), the problems could be caused by 68020 incompatiblity, but I'm pretty certain it works on a CDTV. While you imaged it did it take really long to read some of the tracks? Did it complain about read errors / did you set the programs to ignore them? I expected that you have problems too, as I don't think nujack and me are too dumb to image a CD and it's the only one that made problems so far and there's a reason that there is no working image of it yet. I doubt it's a copy protection, I guess it's maybe non-standard tracks on the CD. I really like to see someone trying to image it on a CDTV/CD32.
Old 30 March 2007, 18:35   #57
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Perhaps simple mastering error? CDTV's drive may accidentally ignore the errors. It isn't too intelligent device after all
Old 30 March 2007, 20:03   #58
thor

Yes, could be the reason. At least someone acknowledges the fact that there are serious problems imaging the CD with non-CDTV/A570/CD32 (?) drives no matter how many tools you're trying to image the CD with
Old 01 April 2007, 17:25   #59
retrosale.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I might depends on the price
I checked on Friday and the PC version they have is actually Volume 2 (and it's sealed too).

So if you're still interested, make an offer!
Old 01 April 2007, 17:35   #60
retrosale.co.uk

Hi Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
While you imaged it did it take really long to read some of the tracks?
Yep!

Quote:
Did it complain about read errors
Yep!

But when I used the 'Standard Copy Protected Game CD' setting within one particular app, it didn't moan about the read errors, though it still took a LONG time to read certain tracks (this is the image I intend to upload to The Boss's server either much later tonight or tomorrow).

Quote:
did you set the programs to ignore them?
Yep!

I've spotted quite a few CD-TV units lying around this place, so one day I suppose I really should try and burn the image to CD-R and try it out with one of those ...

Do you know if the drive inside a CD-TV will read CD-R media? Obviously I'd burn at 1x but are there any certain types of CD-R that are known to fail?!? (e.g. Greens/Golds/Blues/Purples etc)