English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Do you think the Amiga community should have its own 'App' digital download resource?
Yes 32 69.57%
No 6 13.04%
Aminet does all I want it to do 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 November 2013, 18:51   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Amiga version of Play Store or Itunes concept

Waste of time thread, mods feel free to delete it, no interest from anyone.

Last edited by Galahad/FLT; 11 November 2013 at 05:15.
Old 11 November 2013, 01:37   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Christ, over 80 views and barely 8 make their opinions known.

I get it, no-ones interested.
Old 11 November 2013, 02:46   #3
amiman99

I think it's nice idea. You can showcase newest sw on the front page. Maybe even downloadable from Amiga.
Aminet is like "Playstore", but boring looking and uninteresting to the masses, but it does the job.
Oh! Maybe just create a nice Front store to Aminet with links directed to Aminet.
Old 11 November 2013, 03:50   #4
mihcael
Zone Friend

This is along the same lines, orginated for aros and seems mostly focused on Next-Gen Amiga stuff.

http://www.ares-shop.de/
Old 11 November 2013, 07:07   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Christ, over 80 views and barely 8 make their opinions known.

I get it, no-ones interested.
I don't think you gave the original post enough time, the 80 views were probably 70 bots! Without seeing the original thread it's hard to know what the motives were.

If the app store was going to be used to persuade Mark "Complete Wanker" Cale to release Putty Squad, you'd probably get 100% of people agreeing to it. Likewise, if someone was going to redo Outrun or something then people would be up for it!

What did you intend it to be exactly?
Old 11 November 2013, 08:52   #6
Greyfox
Pixel Blender!

Send a message via MSN to Greyfox
Well there is the brilliant AmigaPad 2 in a jailbreak, which I use on the go, but wasn't there one been created by the boys that did the c64 one? But it never appeared, probably based of kick start rom licensing and the fact with all the different chipsets from each Amiga's.

but unfortunately never happen, I think the logistics to getting this work flawlessly is a huge order without frame rate issues etc..but it would be great if it could be done, or better still a UAE4all2 or a direct WinUAE ports would be the way to go.
Old 11 November 2013, 17:17   #7
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
There is such a thing on it's way for AmigaOS4, http://amistore.net
A classic Amiga equivalent would be brilliant! Particularly if it generated new classic content using a crowd funding model!
Old 11 November 2013, 22:11   #8
desiv

I don't see why Cloanto doesn't add this to Amigaforever.
Shouldn't be too difficult to do with their current process. Shouldn't be too tricky to add some type of basic signature to the RP9.
And it doesn't have to be too tricky, as we all know we can all get any game we need in ADF or WHDLoad anyway, so they don't have to add any tricky DRM. ;-)

But if there was an easy way for me to DL a few classic games and pay a bit for them..
I do that now with GOG and some of the old PC games...

I can't see anyone spending a lot of time on it, but if it could be integrated into something existing (ala Cloanto), then maybe..

It could even be integrated in GOG, if there would be a way to integrate an Amiga emulator in there too...
As it's pretty easy to move stuff from WinUAE to my real Amiga, that would work as well, but I'm not sure the GOG guys would want to deal with the effort and/or licensing issues with an Amiga emulator and kickstart...

Which is why I go back to Cloanto, as they have already done the work on that side.

If there was a way for me to "buy" Babylonian Twins or Putty Squad (or <insert game here>)using Amiga Forever for not too much, I'd do that...

desiv
Old 13 November 2013, 09:19   #9
musojon74

I think an Amiga repo would be very nice. Like the App Store on Mac computer or Ubuntu Software Centre - so we can have all the free stuff and also allow the paid projects to be sold from there. I would have to sort out my network card though! Finally a use for it.
Jon
Old 13 November 2013, 09:59   #10
Dunny

It's an excellent idea, but how are you going to stop people from downloading from other places? Also, you can't charge people for developing their own Amiga software either. I think if you can address both those issues, an iTunes-alike will be do-able.

D.
Old 13 November 2013, 10:47   #11
leathered

I’m not convinced there’s any need to try preventing downloads from other sources. It would be a place people can upload their work to if they want to share it, for sale or not. If it’s for sale the most sensible thing is for the author to not upload somewhere else. You can’t stop piracy and ‘free spreading’ – none of the online stores have found a way to stop that! There are after all a great many things about online stores that people really don’t like – DRM being a case in point.
Look at WHDload – most genuine Amiga supporters are willing to pay for the registration of a product they find genuinely useful and enjoy. Yet WHDload remains freely distributable in unregistered form.

Perhaps certain types of ‘licenses’ could be developed. I certainly would expect to pay someone for a hosting a product I’m trying to sell- I really wouldn’t think otherwise.
Old 13 November 2013, 11:19   #12
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lielo View Post
I’m not convinced there’s any need to try preventing downloads from other sources.
I was taking the michael there. If we want to implement iTunes on the Amiga we need to stop people from downloading what they want, and only allow them to use apps that are approved.

D.
Old 13 November 2013, 11:38   #13
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Waste of time thread, mods feel free to delete it, no interest from anyone.
Can I restore your original post Galahad mate?

Seems like you haven't given this thread a chance for people to really contribute within it.

The concept is actually a good idea and could potentially bring people together that 'CAN' contribute in their own different ways. As always, these suggestions/ideas need time to accumulate the interest in the first place, which always seem to start off at a slow pace anyway.

Good idea though
Old 13 November 2013, 12:27   #14
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I was taking the michael there. If we want to implement iTunes on the Amiga we need to stop people from downloading what they want, and only allow them to use apps that are approved.
Great idea! Let's tell people what they may and may not run on their own machine!
Old 13 November 2013, 13:04   #15
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Great idea! Let's tell people what they may and may not run on their own machine!
Exactly! It worked for Apple, and who doesn't want to get rid of those pesky illegal ADF downloads? It's a win-win for all Amiga enthusiasts!

D.
Old 13 November 2013, 14:35   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Are many applications in AmigaOS stand alone these days?

Last time I tried installing Amiga Apps downloaded from Aminet I had to solve 10's of library dependencies before they would work. Installing the latest MUI, countless MUI classes, Gadtools, Ixemul, Reqtools, IconLib, classAct etc. etc.

I believe that is the most annoying and technically challenging part of using applications from Aminet for the casual Amiga user.

If an app store could check and pull in all these required libs then it would be very very helpful for novice Amiga users.
Old 13 November 2013, 15:49   #17
amigakit.com

We are developing an Amiga App Store - an actual Amiga application to run under AmigaOS and make sure that developers get paid for their hard work. Its is called AmiStore: watch this space for more information soon.
Old 13 November 2013, 16:40   #18
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Hi Amigakit will Amistore have 68k Classic and AmigaOS4.x support?
Old 13 November 2013, 17:00   #19
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
We are developing an Amiga App Store - an actual Amiga application to run under AmigaOS and make sure that developers get paid for their hard work. Its is called AmiStore: watch this space for more information soon.
Awesome!!!

desiv
Old 13 November 2013, 17:10   #20
amigakit.com

@DDNI

Yes it will have support for both PPC and 68K Amigas. Classic Amigas may need a good accelerator and memory for the full graphical version- it runs on my fully specced out A1200 at least! However, we *may* produce a basic edition for low spec Amigas later on.

Here is a Work-In-Progress pic:

Last edited by amigakit.com; 13 November 2013 at 17:17.