English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 12 August 2017, 20:49   #1
mark_k

PC/Atari 800KB disk images wanted

I'm doing some testing of mfm.device (from CrossDOS) with different disk formats.

I'd like to obtain an image file of an 800KB-format PC/DOS disk. That would have 10 sectors/track instead of the normal 9 which a 720KB disk has. [I haven't been able to get CrossDOS to write a disk in that format in WinUAE. But it may well be able to read 800KB disks.]

The image file needs to be low-level and usable in WinUAE, so SuperCard .scp, CT raw or IPF.

If you feel like helping out and:
- Have access to an old PC with real/native floppy drive or an Atari ST
- Can use e.g. fdformat under MS-DOS to format a disk to 800KB, then image it. Or in Linux there's fdformat. fdformat in FreeBSD too. (Same name as the MS-DOS program but unrelated apart from performing a similar function.)
- Have suitable hardware to create a low-level image of the disk. 68020+ Amiga will work for the CT raw tool, or SuperCard Pro or Kryoflux.

An image of a 1600KB high density disk would be nice to have too. Again fdformat should be able to create such disks. Also some old SNES game copiers could format disks to 1600KB...
Old 12 August 2017, 22:56   #2
Cylon

You could use a DraCo for this instead, i believe. they have similar floppy drives. There was a thread over on a1k.org about that.

found it.
http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.ph...2&postcount=19
Old 13 August 2017, 10:38   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

What about 1581 formatted disks for C64? They are also 800kB afaik.

Edit: Otherwise I do have a DOS machine with a proper floppy drive to my right and a Kryoflux to my left, so I could try to make both those images.. I think I even have fdformat on the DOS machine already.
Old 13 August 2017, 14:14   #4
mark_k

I think the 1581 format physically has 10 512-byte sectors per track. Whether or not the format is identical to an 800KB disk made by fdformat, I don't know. But it would be interesting to see whether mfm.device can recognise a 1581 disk.
Old 13 August 2017, 15:00   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

I put three Kryoflux dumps in the zone, one of a blank 1581 formatted DD disk and using FDFORMAT (DOS version), an 800k DD and a 1600k HD floppy.
Old 13 August 2017, 16:44   #6
mark_k

Thanks very much for that! In case anyone else cares about this I used the KryoFlux DTC program to convert them to "CT raw" format (usable in WinUAE), uploaded to The Zone.

I very quickly checked the Blank-800k (PC format) image, and CrossDOS does recognise it.

Would you be able to upload another example image, created after filling the disk with some random files and dirs? I want to check that CrossDOS can handle it, i.e. that the files/dirs all read correctly.

Edit: I couldn't get CrossDOS (in WinUAE) to recognise the Blank-1600k image. Not sure whether that's a problem with WinUAE (maybe it assumes a CT raw image is a DD, not HD, disk?), or the SPS DLL, or CrossDOS/mfm.device. Or whether I just used the wrong options when running DTC to create the Blank-1600k.ctr image.

Last edited by mark_k; 13 August 2017 at 16:58.
Old 13 August 2017, 17:18   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Would you be able to upload another example image, created after filling the disk with some random files and dirs? I want to check that CrossDOS can handle it, i.e. that the files/dirs all read correctly.

Edit: I couldn't get CrossDOS (in WinUAE) to recognise the Blank-1600k image. Not sure whether that's a problem with WinUAE (maybe it assumes a CT raw image is a DD, not HD, disk?), or the SPS DLL, or CrossDOS/mfm.device. Or whether I just used the wrong options when running DTC to create the Blank-1600k.ctr image.
I filled the 800k disk with files and folders and uploaded a dump to the Zone.
To format the 1600k disk, I used the -F16 option on FDFORMAT.
Old 13 August 2017, 18:33   #8
mark_k

Thanks again. It may be that CT raw format doesn't support HD disks, hence why I couldn't (yet) get the 1600K one working in WinUAE.

Some notes about 800KB disks:
  • Even if your PC0 mount file has BlocksPerTrack=9 as for normal 720KB disks, CrossDOS can automatically detect the 800KB disk format, providing there is a DOS BPB(?) on the disk. If the 800KB disk were to contain (say) all zero bytes it wouldn't automatically detect the format. [Perhaps that's why it doesn't detect the 1581-format disk?]
  • Say you want to copy an 800KB disk from DF0: to DF1:. Then you'd use a command like DiskCopy FROM PC0: TO PC1:
    But if you're using the normal/usual CrossDOS mount file for PC1: which has BlocksPerTrack=9, DiskCopy will refuse to do that because the geometries of source and dest won't match (even if the disk in DF1: is completely blank/unrecorded).

By changing my PC1 mount file to have BlocksPerTrack=10 I managed to get DiskCopy to work. mfm.device has an (undocumented?) command for setting the disk format. It might be possible to write a program which uses that, to set 10 secs/track format before running DiskCopy to work around that issue.