English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 September 2012, 12:23   #21
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

I just bought an Amiga 1200 with accelerator on Ebay. I'm playing it on an old TV. It seems so much smoother than emulation and the sound seems better. Smooth and no glitches. Glad I bought one.
Old 27 September 2012, 17:02   #22
source
Zone Friend

Is still run classic hardware more than emulation. I have an A2000 that I use for raytracing as well as any mailings that I do for work. Any kind of desktop publishing I still do with it as well. I have WinUAE installed but I rarely boot it up. I have a 500 as well that I am wanting to get set up on a TV in my basement. I havn't had the time to get things together for it. I have a couple of 4000's as well that I have in pieces at the moment. I am wanting to set up a rendering farm. I know that doing it on the PC would be faster, but I just like seeing the old hardware do its magic.
Old 27 September 2012, 18:03   #23
Paul_s

Happy

Yes, I buy real HW from time to time...

When I sold my 1200 in 1999 I had a break for 3 - 4 years without... then bought a CD32... had various models over the years since then but sold them on once I'd cleaned them up! That's all I seem to do with them!

Left with just one A500 now which I may end up selling as I don't really have the inclination to fire it up much! Which seems a shame as someone else could put it to better use than sitting in my wardrobe. I don't really have the room to have it set up all the time (Stupid PC!!! - I am actually sat exactly in the same spot where I was 22 years with my original 500 )

Don't get me wrong, love Amiga but UAE is that bit more convenient these days to fire up and have a quick blast on my favourite games.

If I had my original 500 from the 90's then I might be more into it... just doesn't feel the same without *that* A500 if anyone understands me?

If I were to buy another one then it would need to be NOS for that 'new' feel. God I have issues
Old 27 September 2012, 18:08   #24
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
just doesn't feel the same without *that* A500 if anyone understands me?
I completely understand. I still have my dead A600. I have given away all parts of it that are removable for free... but I still can't stand to part with it. Every time i look at the mangled mess of what's left of it, I'm reminded of how I shouldn't treat my possessions, and the sorrow i felt when i got angry with it and smashed it to bits makes me value my higher spec 1200 all the more
Old 27 September 2012, 18:44   #25
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
I completely understand. I still have my dead A600. I have given away all parts of it that are removable for free... but I still can't stand to part with it. Every time i look at the mangled mess of what's left of it, I'm reminded of how I shouldn't treat my possessions, and the sorrow i felt when i got angry with it and smashed it to bits makes me value my higher spec 1200 all the more
I remember throwing my Speccy +3 in the bin! But eBay wasn't around then when I did it

Tried playing Lotus II again a month or so ago on my 2000 before I sold it off... just couldn't get back into it right... 15 minutes later and I'd had enough! But saying that I like collecting the games themselves and magazines..... Love reading about the Amiga... but it's like I cherish the memories but can't come to using one again because the feeling just isn't the same.... *sigh* BRING BACK THE FACKING 80's/90's!
Old 27 September 2012, 18:48   #26
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
*sigh* BRING BACK THE FACKING 80's/90's!
totally agree! next time there is an EAB meetup, we should only be allowed to turn up in Hypercolor T-shirts or shell suits and only be allowed to listen to music up to year 1992 2 Unlimited anyone?
Old 27 September 2012, 19:50   #27
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

I'm good with that, all the best music came out before 1980 anyway.
Old 28 September 2012, 00:02   #28
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I'm actually trying to buy an A4000, but the really high prices (no one wants to gift me one? ) are keeping me away from that dream
Old 28 September 2012, 00:08   #29
diablothe2nd

an A1200 is the next best thing. In this day and age the cost of owning and maintaining an A4000 outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

There is only marginal differences between an A1200 with 060 @50Mhz vs an A4000 with 060 @ 50Mhz. The cost for the latter will be at least 1.5x more. Still, if you've got the money to burn, you'll definitely earn some bragging rights you also start off the bat with a unit with plenty of space for upgrades thus saving you having to relocate to a tower.
Old 28 September 2012, 00:12   #30
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
an A1200 is the next best thing. In this day and age the cost of owning and maintaining an A4000 outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

There is only marginal differences between an A1200 with 060 @50Mhz vs an A4000 with 060 @ 50Mhz. The cost for the latter will be at least 1.5x more. Still, if you've got the money to burn, you'll definitely earn some bragging rights you also start off the bat with a unit with plenty of space for upgrades thus saving you having to relocate to a tower.
I already have an A1200 with a 040 (bought it broken for cheap ) in it, but I _love_ the expandability of an A4000. Me wants a bridgeboard

I actually even bought a tower system for my A1200 (obviously for ultra-cheap), but I actually went back to desktop since every busboard out there was Zorro II and the Tower was clunky as heck. An A4000D is nice and elegant, instead

I know I could get an A2000 for peanuts, but I haven't got ALL that desk space, so I can only afford a single miggy on my desk - and it has to be an all-in-one system

It's a sad life to be a student with no stable work and with the Amiga bug
Old 28 September 2012, 00:15   #31
diablothe2nd

or you could do something like this thread i started today

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=842047#post842047

(see my mock up photoshop image at post #13 :P )

agreed on the towers. this is why i've chosen the route in the thread above
Old 28 September 2012, 00:18   #32
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
or you could do something like this thread i started today

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=842047#post842047

(see my mock up photoshop image at post #13 :P )

agreed on the towers. this is why i've chosen the route in the thread above
Well, that's great idea But a Mediator costs as much as an A4000... and I'm not really interested in PCI (original style Zorro III RTG all the way!) so I guess I'm still limited to an A4000
Old 28 September 2012, 00:21   #33
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
But a Mediator costs as much as an A4000
and how much does a Cyberstorm cost vs a Blizzard? swings and roundabouts though
Old 28 September 2012, 00:25   #34
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
and how much does a Cyberstorm cost vs a Blizzard? swings and roundabouts though
A cheap A3640 is fine fer me!
Old 28 September 2012, 00:27   #35
diablothe2nd

wait till you get the bug, you'll be hemorrhaging money on upgrades in no time and by the sound of it, you're inches away from the tipping point!
Old 28 September 2012, 00:30   #36
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:

wait till you get the bug, you'll be haemorrhaging money on upgrades in no time and by then sound of it, you're inches away from the tipping point!
Trust me, if I hadn't uni taxes coming soon I'd have already spilled the money on a nice A4000 I've found

It looks like I still retain some of my sanity... at least for another while
Old 28 September 2012, 00:33   #37
diablothe2nd

Quote:
at least for another while
....until you eventually land your dream A4000, then it's downhill from there!

Then we can officially welcome you the "dark side"

ahhhh how awesome it is to own the real deal over the emulated substitute. It'll reach the stage where you throw so much money at it that you simply can't emulate it (when/if you get a PPC), at least on X86 hardware
Old 28 September 2012, 00:37   #38
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
It'll reach the stage where you throw so much money at it that you simply can't emulated it (when/if you get a PPC)
I actually already have one, but it's broken right now BlizzardPPC sitting in my cupboard waiting for some miracle... It has the oscillator pins entirely damaged (bought it like that... it wasn't visible in the pics, damn fleabay!), and I haven't been able to restore it yet *sighs*

I still keep WinUAE for quick testing, but all my Amiga gaming goes on my real A1200

Well, it kinda looks like I'm monopolizing the thread so I'm outta here for a while
Old 28 September 2012, 00:43   #39
diablothe2nd

Quote:
oscillator pins entirely damaged
Amigakit.com have 50Mhz (and under) crystals for sale. cheap as chips

Quote:
I still keep WinUAE for quick testing, but all my Amiga gaming goes on my real A1200
yep, same here. at least until my replacement PSU turns up

Quote:
Well, it kinda looks like I'm monopolizing the thread so I'm outta here for a while
with the previous comment about emulation, I think you just brought it back on track

besides, I think even the previous chat about hardware, the costs, the drawbacks and what you want from your current/future amiga counts towards the "do people still buy amigas" because it sums up our plight for hunting down that bargain and being concious of future upgrades. i think for those reading the thread that don't own an amiga can relate to this

Old 08 October 2012, 01:44   #40
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Let me ask you guys a few question....

Do you think the AMiga will live forever ? That is, based on readily available hardware (new companies coming along to develop... in addition) seems to be this that you can still repair an AMiga today.

But what happens when these companies just decide to say "We've decided to hang up our gloves and move on with PC's" ?

Where will the AMiga be then ?

Or do you think, even if companies change hands, the AMiga will always exist at some point. ?