English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Duel 02: Golden Axe - Double Dragon 2
Golden Axe 29 78.38%
Double Dragon 2 - The Revenge 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 October 2012, 13:41   #41
frikilokooo

First of all is that I don't like arcade conversions,I enjoyed playing Pang on Amiga but today with mame I'm not interested in arcade conversions.

I really like the Golden Axe arcade,for me GA revolutionized the scrolling beat'em ups introducing the double-click to run,gameplay based in the ability and not pounding buttons and die after a while and more stuff.The Amiga conversion fails the arcade gameplay,it's different gameplay and doesn't seem to be playing the arcade,for me it is a big disappointment.However the technical section is excellent.
Old 13 October 2012, 14:08   #42
fishyfish
Banned

I couldnt disagree more. In fact I used to practice the amiga version at home, which helped me be able to complete the coin-op with 1 credit, so clearly gameplay is pretty accurate.
Old 13 October 2012, 14:20   #43
JudasEZT

enemies of the coin-op had some kind of inertia when approaching player.

I had the coin-op at the bar my sister was propietary of. When I got much of practice I had to use two credits to finish it =( but anyway I had never to pay for any credit =D

I got really amazed when I saw a copy for Amiga. My schoolmates and I played it a lot and got fun with the ending,.. which I found a lovely lite version of the coin-op... really surprised they squeezed all that stuff in one single-disk.

As for Double Dragon 2, fortunately it differs of the coin-op controls.. better for us.
Old 13 October 2012, 21:06   #44
fishyfish
Banned

I probably prefered Amiga DD2 to arcade version. It does play a little dfferent, but thats exactly why I preferred it..... no.2 was basically the same as no.1 with some different graphics in the arcades. Amiga DD2 was simultaneously both very double dragon-ish, and different enough from arcade DD1 to not feel like you was playing no.1 with different graphics. The gameplay in my opnion works quite well with the maps and enemies (plus their placement). Id even go so far as to say Amiga DD2 was more playable than arcade version (although arcade DD1 in my opinion was better than either).

No.3 was a great conversion (Sales Curve conversions were usually pretty good), and enjoyable enough, but I prefered no.2.
Slight sidebar, but DD3 is the only game I know of where you had to spend real money to buy upgrades in the games shops. Even as a big arcade game fan at the time I remember thinking it was a terrible idea. I wonder how much that influenced the games lack of success.
Old 14 October 2012, 03:22   #45
Cammy

Here's an image showing the visual differences between the ports of Golden Axe on Amiga and Sega platforms:

It would have been nice to have 2-button support in Golden Axe on the Amiga.
Old 14 October 2012, 09:58   #46
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
I couldnt disagree more. In fact I used to practice the amiga version at home, which helped me be able to complete the coin-op with 1 credit, so clearly gameplay is pretty accurate.
I didn't need to play the Amiga version to complete the arcade with just one credit,btw complete the arcade is a snap.

One thing that doesn't correspond to the arcade is the jumping sword attack,very effective in the arcade and useless in the conversion.
Old 15 October 2012, 10:04   #47
JudasEZT

Golden Axe is winning for even a greater margin than past Duel.
I didnt thought the counting was going to be so different.

While I write this I feel like Cheech Marin: [ Show youtube player ]