English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 December 2005, 00:32   #1
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
what did i miss on amiga the last 10 years?

I just realised that i left the amiga community before 10 years, around 1995. I wanted to play Doom2 and had to sell my Amiga to get enough money for a PeeCee.

My quick questions (and hopefully long/plenty of answers?):
What did i miss the last ten years? What good games i need to get/play, what demos are a must see? Anything else i missed worth mentioned?

Feel free to post here, you are welcome.
Old 01 December 2005, 10:37   #2
wlcina

Go to the shop and buy Half Life 2 , you peecee lama :-)

selling amiga for a PC :-((
Old 01 December 2005, 10:56   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Welcome back Amigan Adderly,

Okay, well as you explore these forums you will find to ones delight all the things that made amiga (the community) that for me atleast is the biggest thing i missed over the last 10 years.

insofar as games, there were a few and even some hardware improvments and extra dongles one could buy. there is here in this requeium of fellow Amigans that one can find demo's, musics games, news, solve software and hardware problems join in some revival projects too.

its all good.

dont be too disheartened for trading in an Amiga for a PC in 1995, Doom2 after all was quite yummy indeed, i managed to hold off buying a PC untill 2000 when Unreal Tornament came out.... damn that was such a yummy game,

only thing though i was in the lucky position that i didn`t have to sell either of my Amiga's.

I have unfortuntely shrugged off the cheap-thrills PC gamming has to offer, the super smart gfx and the such like (okay okay... i have bought Quake4... but its sooooo nice)
anyways i find myself more on these forums and on my emulated or real amiga.

So welcome back home fellow amigan.

P.S. dont worry about wlcina, he gets grumpy if he doesnt have his breakfast in the morning
Old 01 December 2005, 11:05   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
dont be too disheartened for trading in an Amiga for a PC in 1995, Doom2 after all was quite yummy indeed, i managed to hold off buying a PC untill 2000
Me too
Old 01 December 2005, 11:12   #5
wlcina

Zetr0 I had breakfast, I didnt have a girl(s) ;-)

I have 3 amigas 500, 500+ and 1200, and megaultrasuperduper peecee, I am playing on my 1200 mostly :-) sometimes on peecee :-/ .

(peecee config:
P4 3.6ghz, 2gb ram, 800gb disk space (yeah, plenty space for TOSECs ;-) ) audigy 2zs, Geforce 7800gtx)
Old 01 December 2005, 18:51   #6
NOB
Zone Friend

Maybe some cool TBL Demos. http://www.4players.de/4sceners.php?...BERICHTID=3880
Old 01 December 2005, 19:47   #7
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I think the man wants specifics about what he missed.

1. You can actually play Doom 2 on an Amiga now (I play all the time on my A500!)

2. WHDload - almost every Amiga game working from harddrive!

3. Not many new games - 1995 seemed to be cut-off point

4. Amiga does internet stuff now (better, faster) - Miami, IBrowse, YAM, Jabberwocky

5. Better productivity stuff - FinalWriter 97, Wordworth 7, Pagestream, Scala MM400, STfax

6. 2 pathetic attempts at a new Workbench - 3.5 & 3.9, both just WB 3.1 with added shareware

7. Fancy Workbench look improvement programs - VisualPrefs, MagicMenu, TitleShadow, Newicons

8. Hundreds of useful WB tools/utilities - Scout, SnoopDOS, DrivePrefs, XAD, VirusZ, Iconian

9. Lots of stupid pointless bickering and arguing between AmigaOS and MorphOS fans
Old 01 December 2005, 21:26   #8
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
I think the man wants specifics about what he missed.

1. You can actually play Doom 2 on an Amiga now (I play all the time on my A500!)
3. Not many new games - 1995 seemed to be cut-off point
Thanks for the answers. Hmmm, i will check out Doom 2 on Amiga. It's too bad there aren't any good games since 1995. On all threads i have read here on eab the discussed games are from before 1995 - i know/played most of them

@Zetr0: Around the year 2000 i was addicted to Ultima online, no time for UT. But got Q4 last week. But it's an Amiga Board, we are off-topic

What about Demo Scene then? Anyone can tell me about "must see" demos i missed since 1995??
@NOB: The Black Lotus made some cool demos, that's what i looked for. More please!

Last edited by Adderly; 01 December 2005 at 22:07.
Old 01 December 2005, 21:55   #9
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcina
Go to the shop and buy Half Life 2 , you peecee lama :-)
selling amiga for a PC :-((
People like you are one reason why i left the Amiga scene. Arrogant lamers with no brain who start rants against Atari/PC/whatever users. Too bad that i must see that your kind is still around and has not learned anything.

Constructive Amiga relevant replies are still welcome.
Old 01 December 2005, 22:00   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Hi, Adderly

OnEscapee, released in 1997, was one of the last great amiga games. It's a Flashback-clone on CD.

http://hol.abime.net/2305

http://onescapee.invictus.hu/feat.htm
Old 01 December 2005, 22:14   #11
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
Hi, Adderly

OnEscapee, released in 1997, was one of the last great amiga games. It's a Flashback-clone on CD.

http://hol.abime.net/2305

http://onescapee.invictus.hu/feat.htm
Wow, the gfx is great. I must check this one out. They offer a free PC version on their webside, but i want the Amiga version, d'oh!
A hot one, Txs Retro-Nerd!
Old 01 December 2005, 22:19   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adderly
Wow, the gfx is great. I must check this one out. They offer a free PC version on their webside, but i want the Amiga version, d'oh!
A hot one, Txs Retro-Nerd!
Haven't tested the PC version yet, only the amiga version which is unfortunatly not for free. But it's a nice game for the good old amiga.
Old 01 December 2005, 23:30   #13
kriz

Also games like: Napalm, T-Zero, Wasted Dreams, Genetic Species, Foundation, Evils Doom and more I cant remember from my head Search them up in the Hol and you will see

Also Amiga now have power-pc cards (for the 1200 and 4000)
Old 01 December 2005, 23:46   #14
andyr

I think Genetic Species is great!

Oh, and don't forget Payback - basically Grand Theft Auto on Amiga!

http://hol.abime.net/3511/screenshot
Old 01 December 2005, 23:51   #15
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Hmmm, i will check out Doom 2 on Amiga. It's too bad there aren't any good games since 1995.
It's called Adoom and you can use Doom, Doom 2, Ultimate Doom wads and also any patch wads. When I mentioned that there were no games since 1995, I was talking ECS. There are a few for AGA or graphics card/accelerated Amiga as Retro-Nerd and kriz have mentioned. (can't run them on MY Amiga, damn it! )

But what Amiga are you going to run? I'm guessing you're going to try WinUAE and in that case, you can run any Amiga game - whatever the requirements.
Old 02 December 2005, 05:14   #16
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Superb, looks like there are some very good games released. I'll play the ones i can get on my xmas holiday...
Thanks, keep on posting!

@mr_a500: Yes, i use WinUAE. I bought some old joysticks (Competition pro and Quickjoy III) on ebay and an usb-adapter to use real Amiga Joysticks on my PC for the "right" feeling. Yes, i know, it's not the real thing compared to an Amiga on your desktop but it's enough to bring back some of these "good old days" feelings...

Last edited by Adderly; 02 December 2005 at 05:32.
Old 02 December 2005, 15:10   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

Where did you get the USB adapter from?

I'd much prefer to use that than the 4 way adapter connected to my parallel port and ppjoy!
Old 02 December 2005, 22:14   #18
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Where did you get the USB adapter from?

I'd much prefer to use that than the 4 way adapter connected to my parallel port and ppjoy!
Also bought from ebay. It's 15 Euros and a great piece of hardware, works without any drivers and is easy to use. You can have a look at this german auction on ebay (just for the pic of the adapter).
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ADME:B:EF:DE:1
Old 03 December 2005, 14:29   #19
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Looks pretty Awsome! (and a kinda homey project... i know that project box anywhere) and now i have to spend the whole day googling plans and pinouts to make one

but atleast i would be able to play a few games a little better!!!!!
Old 04 December 2005, 11:37   #20
wlcina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adderly
People like you are one reason why i left the Amiga scene. Arrogant lamers with no brain who start rants against Atari/PC/whatever users. Too bad that i must see that your kind is still around and has not learned anything.

Constructive Amiga relevant replies are still welcome.
:-) I recommended him a Half Life 2, its not Constructive ? :-) I am not angry because he is a Peecee owner.. Reread carefuly pls :-)