English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 11 April 2021, 20:04   #1
Patrickx1989

Installing Shogo Mobile Armor Divison

Hi,

I just bought Shogo from Hyperion and am trying to get it to run under WinUAE. I'm pretty much a beginner to this, but after a bit of fiddling around, I managed to get the installer to launch under AmigaSYS. However, at 20% the installer asks for some kind of registration where you have to put in your serial number - I obviously have that because I bought the game, but apparently Hyperion seems to have implemented some crude form of online verification into the installer. Before I can even type in the number, I get an error message "Registration failed, no binaries installed. Please contact customer support".

I'm actually very confused by this, I never encountered anything like this for example with Napalm, Myst or any other CD games. Please tell me how to solve this (or bypass it, I don't mind a cracked installer either lol).

Last edited by Patrickx1989; 12 April 2021 at 10:06.
Old 11 April 2021, 22:28   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickx1989 View Post
Before I can even type in the number, I get an error message "Registration failed, no binaries installed. Please contact customer support".
It's probably not the installer which takes the serial number, but the installer tries to run a program which then shall ask for the number, but the program fails for some other reason. The installer only sees that the program failed and thinks that the registration failed.

Which OS do you run the installer on? You probably need OS 3.9.

And also probably wizard.library or some other third-party GUI library.

You should run SnoopDOS to find out exactly what is missing.
Old 12 April 2021, 13:55   #3
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post

Which OS do you run the installer on? You probably need OS 3.9.

He probably needs a OS4, as he has bought it lately. There is a new version for a OS4. WarpOS version is sold out years ago.
Old 12 April 2021, 16:16   #4
Patrickx1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
He probably needs a OS4, as he has bought it lately. There is a new version for a OS4. WarpOS version is sold out years ago.

No, the download also includes the CD iso for the OS3 version, and that is the one I am trying to install. So that's definitely not the problem.
Old 12 April 2021, 20:34   #5
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickx1989 View Post
No, the download also includes the CD iso for the OS3 version, and that is the one I am trying to install. So that's definitely not the problem.
It is NOT OS3 version, it is WarpOS version wich requires PPC cpu. If you have a PPC accelerator, easiest way to get it work is install OS3.9.
Old 13 April 2021, 10:22   #6
Daedalus

WarpOS implies OS3, as it is an add-on for OS3 that provides PPC compatibility. OS3 is meant here as in contrast to OS4... The ISO even has "OS3" in the name. And it contains WarpOS on the CD itself in the Extras drawer (as do any other Hyperion PPC games I've seen), so OS 3.9 isn't needed (although apparently the launcher needs an update to work on OS 3.1).

As for the original issue, how do you know it was actually accessing anything online? I don't remember having any issues, but I've only installed it on OS4...
Old 13 April 2021, 12:03   #7
Patrickx1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
As for the original issue, how do you know it was actually accessing anything online? I don't remember having any issues, but I've only installed it on OS4...

I don't, I concluded that from the error message I got and because it hung directly at the registration process.
Old 13 April 2021, 19:27   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
It's probably not the installer which takes the serial number, but the installer tries to run a program which then shall ask for the number, but the program fails for some other reason. The installer only sees that the program failed and thinks that the registration failed.

<snip>

And also probably wizard.library or some other third-party GUI library.

You should run SnoopDOS to find out exactly what is missing.
thomas is most probably right regarding this; I had the same issue when I first tried installing Descent: Freespace - The Great War
Old 13 April 2021, 22:50   #9
DamienD
Banned

Heya Patrickx1989,

I just tried installing this on my "ClassicWB Lite 3.1". HDF.

It also fails for me:
SnoopDOS reports the folllowing; all related to WarpOS / PPC installation, which I won't do as I've never tried before:
So I would say you need to configure WinUAE for WarpOS / PPC, then install all requires software / drivers / libraries for these, before finally trying to install the game.
Old 13 April 2021, 23:22   #10
Patrickx1989

Oh, crap, but I half expected it. I just didn't expect it to already fail at installation. My plan was to just install it and then play around with the WinUAE PPC settings under "RAM" etc, hoping to get it to run. I might try contacting Hyperion and ask them if they have a preinstalled drawer version of this like the one that comes with the OS4 download version.
Old 14 April 2021, 00:05   #11
DamienD
Banned

It should work under OS 3.1, but you will need to know how to configure PPC / WarpOS in WinUAE and then install all required software first.

Just start doing some reading / research; I'm sure people have documented the process

Me, I don't know the first thing about either and to be quite frank; I don't want to learn or really care enough.
Old 14 April 2021, 11:38   #12
Patrickx1989

Hmmh, I'll probably continue to play around with this a bit. I'll post again if I make any progress
Old 15 February 2023, 14:07   #13
Ponki1986

Patrickx1989 did you manage to install the game? I'm having the same problem myself. I searched for the reason and the installer cannot find the Client file in the destination directory. The reason for this is that the base.hpa, bin.hpa and sounds.hpa files are not unpacked by the HunPack command. When I try to unpack them manually, I get a message that a file with a stamp from the German language cannot be created. It's an O with two dots on top. If you have hard disks mounted as folders in WinUAE, I suspect that you should perform the installation on a file partition, formatted in FastFileSystem.