English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 February 2023, 00:01   #301
Torti-the-Smurf

OHA ...!!! a Major Bug !!!!

Will you make A One file version too ? pleeease
A one file version that saves the options and highscores ?

So we MIST users no longer need the WHDLoad slave.
That slave is the cause of those graphic glitches in the flying stages.

Pleeeease

A exit funtion would be the crown juwel....
ohhh.. and bring back the overpowered Turrican..... i miss him, he was so freaking cool

Pretty please

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 04 February 2023 at 00:26. Reason: adding a few emojis :)
Old 04 February 2023, 10:20   #302
A500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
Although I'm starting to think I've supported more control options than there are people that have actually played the game.

Well, I know there are several more (me included) playing the game where I live. You've done a stellar job and I'm really grateful for the game!
Old 04 February 2023, 21:02   #303
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Big problem spotted in one leve in T2 AGA v1.15 :

On my A1230, in the level after the shoot part, the turrican sprite froze on the screen.

EDIT : the problem occurs as well on the alien level (first one).

EDIT2 : the problem occurs as well on the last level.

It's like the animations are stuck at 1fps on screen.
Old 04 February 2023, 23:25   #304
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Big problem spotted in one leve in T2 AGA v1.15 :

On my A1230, in the level after the shoot part, the turrican sprite froze on the screen.
Do you mean after the spaceship levels?
If so it’s probably the same bug as a few posts earlier. Fix is coming soon.
Old 05 February 2023, 13:14   #305
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Do you mean after the spaceship levels?
If so it’s probably the same bug as a few posts earlier. Fix is coming soon.
OK muzza !

Anyway, it's awesome to see this game in 256 colors running at 50fps.
Old 05 February 2023, 21:20   #306
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Just tried the cd32 on my steam deck and it works brilliantly! Thanks so much for this, love it!!
Old 06 February 2023, 05:16   #307
Jimiga

Hi there, thanks so much for making this version!

I'm playing on MiSTer FPGA Amiga minimig core with A1200 settings. Game plays perfectly!

One hitch though, I'm selecting the Save Game option when starting a game by clicking on an empty slot. However nothing ever shows up in the Save slots despite getting the "Game Saved" confirmations when clearing stages.

I've tried selecting slots 1-4 when playing. When restarting a new game, they always remain showing as "Empty".

Am I misunderstanding how to use this? Or could it be that it won't work on the WHDLoad version using MiSTer?
Old 06 February 2023, 05:23   #308
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimiga View Post
Hi there, thanks so much for making this version!

I'm playing on MiSTer FPGA Amiga minimig core with A1200 settings. Game plays perfectly!

One hitch though, I'm selecting the Save Game option when starting a game by clicking on an empty slot. However nothing ever shows up in the Save slots despite getting the "Game Saved" confirmations when clearing stages.

I've tried selecting slots 1-4 when playing. When restarting a new game, they always remain showing as "Empty".

Am I misunderstanding how to use this? Or could it be that it won't work on the WHDLoad version using MiSTer?

The game outputs a file called T2SavedData.dat (it may be in the data folder). Check if it exists. Maybe something is disallowing files to be written on your system?
Old 06 February 2023, 06:08   #309
Jimiga

Thanks for the fast reply, testing this out now!
Old 06 February 2023, 07:15   #310
Jimiga

Quote:
The game outputs a file called T2SavedData.dat (it may be in the data folder). Check if it exists. Maybe something is disallowing files to be written on your system?
Thanks for this info. I've retested using a different method:

The game will save, but only if you suicide quit with ESC.
Using this method, upon starting a new game I see the save data in the slot and can load it.

However, if you then die of natural causes, no progress data is saved in these slots and anything that was there previously, from the suicide quit, is erased and a blank slot shows.

I'm finding I have to suicide quit at all times for any saved progress to stay present in these slots.

Is this how it should work correctly? I may be misunderstanding, but I was expecting after a normal game over to see the last saved data still in the slot and that it would not be erased unless you actually select 'overwrite' from the menu when starting a game.
Old 06 February 2023, 07:20   #311
Muzza

Quote:
Thanks for this info. I've retested using a different method:

The game will save, but only if you suicide quit with ESC.
Using this method, upon starting a new game I see the save data in the slot and can load it.

However, if you then die of natural causes, no progress data is saved in these slots and anything that was there previously, from the suicide quit, is erased and a blank slot shows.

I'm finding I have to suicide quit at all times for any saved progress to stay present in these slots.

Is this how it should work correctly? I may be misunderstanding, but I was expecting after a normal game over to see the last saved data still in the slot and that it would not be erased unless you actually select 'overwrite' from the menu when starting a game.

This is normal. If you die, there is no game to resume playing.
Old 06 February 2023, 07:25   #312
Jimiga

Fully understood now - it was just my interpretation of how the saves work which was incorrect.

Thanks for explaining this and thanks for all your continued efforts! Really enjoying playing this and it's great to revisit Turrican in 2023 with all the quality of life improvements you've added.
Old 06 February 2023, 07:34   #313
Muzza

Quote:
Fully understood now - it was just my interpretation of how the saves work which was incorrect.
You're not the only one. I've mentioned previously that I wish I had a better way to word the save slots implementation.
It was designed because some players do not have the time to finish the game in one sitting, so it lets you continue where you left off. It was not intended as a way to save/load to undo your mistakes (which would really require saving in the middle of levels, and some kind of in-game menu to work properly).

Now I'm thinking about it... perhaps I should only have a single save slot that is always being saved to. When you start the game, if there is valid data in the save from the last time it was played, it will ask if you want to resume your last game in progress. It would probably help with the confusion. There would be no "save slots" at all, simply a "resume last game".
Old 06 February 2023, 07:39   #314
ransom1122

Quote:
Now I'm thinking about it... perhaps I should only have a single save slot that is always being saved to. When you start the game, if there is valid data in the save from the last time it was played, it will ask if you want to resume your last game in progress. It would probably help with the confusion. There would be no "save slots" at all, simply a "resume last game".
That makes more sense
Old 06 February 2023, 07:43   #315
Jimiga

I hear you - yes I think that does make more sense, the one-slot method you mentioned. That would nicely suit the way it works.
Old 06 February 2023, 14:21   #316
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
Just tried the cd32 on my steam deck and it works brilliantly! Thanks so much for this, love it!!
Can you set the Steam Deck's screen to 50Hz refresh rate?

edit: Apparently it does.

Last edited by john4p; 08 February 2023 at 12:29.
Old 08 February 2023, 03:30   #317
Jimiga

Hi Muzza,

I've been playing more of this and it's great!

One issue I've found playing on MiSTer Minimig core - forgive me if this is already posted here (I searched and couldn't find it).

The scrolling on the shoot 'em up levels doesn't work, glitching to the point where it's not possible to play through.

It's documented here over on the MiSTer forum with a video example.
https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=5910

MiSTer is usually a very solid match for the real thing with pretty extensive config options, and I'm thinking there may be a setting that fixes this.

I'll check my settings and add to this post if that's helpful.

Thanks!
Old 08 February 2023, 05:07   #318
Jimiga

Scrolling issues on SHMUP sections on MiSTer FPGA, and status bar cropping

Further to my last message, I've tested with D-Cache OFF, the scrolling issue is still there.

Curiously, in the mid-stage first shoot'em up level (2 of 3), the scrolling is perfect. Parts 1 and 3 show the issue.

One other issue I've noticed is that the status bar at the bottom of the screen seems shifted over about 10px or so, cropping off the right hand side near the score/ power bar.

Game area does not exhibit this, though upon loading the square blocks are also shifted to the right on all but the first load, cropping the last row in half vertically. Image attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6067.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	78044  
Old 08 February 2023, 11:38   #319
Muzza

I've had many reports of problems with FPGA machines. As best as I can tell, they do not emulate copper timings accurately enough. The Vampire machines received a core update immediately after release which fixed the problem there. I was hoping the authors of other FPGA machines would do the same.
I don't have one to test with and even if I did there is no guarantee I could find a work around for emulation bugs. So far I've had no reports of problems like this on real Amigas so I think this is something that should be raised with the authors of the Minimig.

The next release is going to have a DOS version as an alternative to the WHDLoad version. I had one report that this ran with fewer problems on a Mist machine, although it is not clear why. You could try that when it is released.
Old 08 February 2023, 22:05   #320
Torti-the-Smurf

Yup, the DOS version is flawless on MIST FPGA, but also the older CD32 version.

@Jimiga You might try the CD32 1.1 one file version for now and see how that works for You/MISTer.

If that works, then the upcoming DOS version should be flawless too