English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 May 2020, 20:24   #1
Pyromania

What If - Sony Amiga

Many a company were shown the Amiga tech in 1983/84 and Commodore jumped on it to beat Jack Attack! Sony and Apple were also shown the Amiga but passed. What if Sony had jumped on it and made computers mush earlier. I always loved their TVs and monitors and used/use them but what if you could have bought your entire Amiga from Sony too. Sure the Amiga could have got lost in a big conglomerate like Sony but they are still around unlike Commodore. Maybe things could have turn out better and Jay's team would not have been layed off.
Old 05 May 2020, 20:32   #2
Amigajay

Sony already made computers with the MSX series in the early 80's
Old 05 May 2020, 20:41   #3
dreadnought

I'll repeat my old mantra, that nothing could've won with the concept of a PC. Best that could happen in this scenario would be a Playmiga...maybe not such a bad outcome in itself
Old 05 May 2020, 21:02   #4
Pyromania

In that respect the Amiga 2000 was a PC and could have been expanded to infinity and beyond.
Old 05 May 2020, 22:29   #5
th4t1guy

The Amiga is a great hobbyist machine, but I haven't really seen anything from Sony that fits well into that category. I think if Sony got ahold of it back then, they would've turned it into something unrecognizable.
Old 05 May 2020, 22:44   #6
Locutus

Fun one to remember: Sony had it's own 68k machines in the 1980's called NeWS.

Dual CPU machines at that, although only 1 of the CPU's ran user code the other one was for kernel only use.

Bit of a different price ballpark then the Amiga though.
Old 06 May 2020, 00:06   #7
Mikerochip

@Pyromania, I think, realistically, extending that line of reasoning out, then, the most likely scenario would be, the Amiga being American, would have been sunk without a trace by Sony, assuming Sony did actually make a foothold in the 80's, with the technology they already developed.

And we'd all be playing the MSX 16 today. Or X68K mark 10 or whatever.

Since I'm assuming, if the JP computers became popular, the existing JP computers it had at the time would be what became popular, and to continue, it'd make sense that Sony would develop or at least buy another piece of tech from another JP company (I think)
(Would that not make sense?)

I think the mistake to make on your line of reasoning is that the Amiga was the only innovative computer worth investing in, and, I don't think that's the case.

Really, it'd be the same as what happened globally with the TV market, and other electronica etc.

Sony sees tech innovation, makes their own version, refines it until it's better/more profitable, dumps it at below (initial unit) cost, kill the competition, etc.
Rinse, repeat.

So, yeah. Not the answer to the question you asked, but, maybe, an answer to an alternative question/scenario!

(Which would have been more likely? Who knows. Both are pure speculation!!!)