English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 June 2022, 05:07   #1
ImmortalA1000

Starbreeze bought all Cinemaware IP in 2016 and.....

....from what I can see haven't done much with them.

Is Starbreeze the reason the modern remake of It Came from the Desert went silent, author never comments on videos uploaded and the dev blog is no longer public?

Shame because it was looking really cool.
Old 27 June 2022, 08:30   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

This might be one of the reasons: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-of-insolvency
Old 28 June 2022, 21:47   #3
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Not really sure that was anything other than a waste of my time reading about some company that bought the rights to an awesome IP, nearly went bust and was saved by making some forgettable modern game for DLC.

If they had a quiet word with the person working on the remake of Desert and told him to stop that is sad, the word desert or cinemaware doesn't appear anywhere on that page so I can't see how that answers my query.
Old 28 June 2022, 23:53   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay. Payday 2 was huge. Starbreeze thought they can ride that wave forever. They spend way too much money on things including Cinemaware. Shortly afterwards it went south (they bid on the wrong horse and the Walking Dead FPS didn't cash out) and they barely survived by making licensed DLC for Payday 2. So that's why the Cinemaware license got nowhere and people that thought the games are up for grabs (Cinemaware games were free to download at one point) might just have been dropping their projects.

All of the above is just an educated guess. I do remember the time that free Cinemaware Amiga releases were pulled off the internet because new people bought the license to them.
Old 29 June 2022, 23:03   #5
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Okay. Payday 2 was huge. Starbreeze thought they can ride that wave forever. They spend way too much money on things including Cinemaware. Shortly afterwards it went south (they bid on the wrong horse and the Walking Dead FPS didn't cash out) and they barely survived by making licensed DLC for Payday 2. So that's why the Cinemaware license got nowhere and people that thought the games are up for grabs (Cinemaware games were free to download at one point) might just have been dropping their projects.

All of the above is just an educated guess. I do remember the time that free Cinemaware Amiga releases were pulled off the internet because new people bought the license to them.
Ahhh, the modern remake of It Came from the Desert using Unreal Engine(I think) is by a single guy with no permission from Starbreeze all by himself. I was asking if that project was stopped by Starbreeze as it is unauthorised etc
Old 30 June 2022, 01:24   #6
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I luckily downloaded all those Cinemaware titles for all the formats before they disappeared. Just goes to show how you can’t rely on the internet to be a permanent entity of any kind.
Old 30 June 2022, 02:56   #7
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
I luckily downloaded all those Cinemaware titles for all the formats before they disappeared. Just goes to show how you can’t rely on the internet to be a permanent entity of any kind.
I have been downloading YT videos for over a decade lol.

Sadly a HD crashed and I lost my copy of the children's Saturday morning show Saturday Superstore 1984 which had the first ever computer games chart special and the 90-120 minute video is now gone from the internet.
Old 30 June 2022, 14:56   #8
Heywood

It's still possible to get a new copy of Rocket Ranger that has an Amiga version

https://dragonbox.de/en/for-pc/rocke...s-edition.html

They also have Wings (but it doesnt have an Amiga version)

Other Cinemaware games like Defender of the Crown seems to have been available at one stage..
Old 30 June 2022, 17:03   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The games on Cinemaware were free back then: https://web.archive.org/web/20060114...sgame_dotc.asp
Old 11 July 2022, 04:42   #10
ImmortalA1000

I am pretty sure my Cinemaware collection is complete, although I only have the ST version of SDI but it's not a great game and I am happy to play pirate disks on the Amiga.

I might check out Antheads one day, never played it but I have 2 copies.