English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 December 2020, 20:30   #1
kintel

Just broke: GVP Impact Series II A500 HD8+

Hi all,

I have a GVP Impact Series II A500 HD8+ Rev 6. About a year ago I pulled it out of storage and it booted fine on my old A500+ with KS 2.0 ROMs. The power supply behaved erratically, so I put it on my project list to fix one day. I unpacked it again now, and it doesn't work any longer. I hooked up power manually and the harddrive spins up, but the Amiga won't boot.
From here, I've tried a bunch of stuff:
* Modified power jumpers to make it bus-powered (I upgraded my Amiga power supply). Drive still spins up, but no boot.
* I've tried in on a couple of Amigas (with 2.0 ROMs and 1.3 ROMs, A500+ vs. A500 classic) with different results depending on configuration: Sometimes Red boot screen, sometimes yellow and sometimes green.
* I've pulled out all the RAM and reset the jumpers; no change
* I've pulled off the harddrive, and the GVP ROM chip; no change
* +5V and +12V power measures fine
* The Amigas can otherwise accept expansion boards (Action Replay Mk. II still works)
* Expansion port cleaned with alcohol, and pin continuity measured with multimeter after connection; all works

The variation in boot screen color makes me think that the bus drivers or some more serious chips are blown.
Any ideas how to keep diagnose this? I can blindly order some 74LA245 chips and resolder them, but that is a bit of a shot in the dark..
I've got as scope, but don't quite know what to look for.

Any help greatly appreciated.

-Marius

PS! My end goal isn't necessarily to get this working, but to get all my data off the old harddrive and get some solid state storage going, so any alternative ideas towards that goal would also be appreciated!
Old 03 January 2021, 08:58   #2
powrslave
A1200

Hope you figure it out.

Also please try and submit hires pictures of it to the amiga db

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/impact500mk2
Old 29 October 2023, 10:09   #3
lesta_smsc

Just come across this post as I now have the same device and mine is working. If you're just after the files you could remove hard drive and put in a SCSI adaptor and run on WinUAE to extract data.

I don't mind putting your drive in my HD+ to transfer data across to PC and send it to you by uploading it somewhere for you. Only issue is postage will be very expensive to the UK I presume but might be worth the trouble one way if you don't want drive back.

I'm reviving a very old thread but offer goes out to anyone in the same predicament