English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 April 2011, 21:51   #1
Astyanax

Questions about installation of NetBSD in WinUAE

Hello!

I use WinUAE 2.3.1 and want to install NetBSD on it. I managed to start the installation process and have two questions.

1. What ifconfig parameters do I need to set on host and guest operating system to make network running? (I think this question concerns to Linux as well)

In Vmware-like virtual machines I usually set IP address, netmask and DNS on the host and on the guest machines and have a working network.
As I can see, in WinUAE AmigaOS uses virtual network card that "attaches" to host network interface and captures and sends packets through it. But what IP address receives guest operating system? How can I establish a telnet or ssh session to it from host machine?
I have several network cards in my Windows 7 host. USB-network card - is the main gateway to Internet (and has an ip 10.1.1.2). I also have MS Loopback device, VirtNet, VMware VMnet8 - they always have "connected" state. I choose MS Loopback device (10.1.7.1) device in WinUAE "A2065 Z2" (all other devices are off in "Expansions" section), launch installation, NetBSD finds le0 interface, I issue the following commands:
Code:
ifconfig le0 10.1.7.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default 10.1.7.1
and add "nameserver 208.67.222.222" (this is OpenDNS one) to /etc/resolv.conf
Wireshark shows me only ARP to this interface. When I issue
Code:
ping 10.1.7.1
from WinUAE, wireshark displays "Broadcast ARP Who has 10.1.7.1? Tell 10.1.7.2"
and NetBSD writes "The host is down" message. The same thing happens, when I try to ping 10.1.7.2 from the host.
VirtNet is the network adapter like MS Loopback Device, works in Windows 7. It also emulates physical network card. It is freeware and can be obtained here: http://www.ntkernel.com/w&p.php?id=32
When I attach WinUAE to disconnected physical adapter (nVidia network card) no packets is received or sent.

2. How to see all the SCSI hard drives?

When I do an installation, NetBSD sees only first attached adrive (hardfile attached to SCSI0) and does not sees all others attached to SCSI1, SCSI2 etc. I don't know why other drives are invisible, probably I need to remake all devs after installation, but AmigaOS 3.1 sees everything from installation disk.

Old 17 April 2011, 10:59   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

WinPCap most likely requires real network adapter.
Only way to make it work without strange side-effects is to have separate physical network adapter that is only used by WinUAE.

This won't change until there is easy to use, freely usable virtual network driver available.
Old 17 April 2011, 12:52   #3
Astyanax

I have a real network adapter on my motherboard, but it is always "disconnected". When I tried it, no packets was sent or received.

Quote:
Only way to make it work without strange side-effects is to have separate physical network adapter that is only used by WinUAE.
Does it mean that to use network on Amiga, I have to get cable internet connection (to make physical adapter looks "connected") and attach WinUAE to it?

I have read "WinUAE 2.3.0 + NetBSD 5.0.2 No go." thread several times (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55564), but didn't find how they have done the network setup inside WinUAE. Link to amiga hard drive image is dead.

Old 18 April 2011, 09:05   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astyanax View Post
Does it mean that to use network on Amiga, I have to get cable internet connection (to make physical adapter looks "connected") and attach WinUAE to it?
Yes. You need physical adapter that has cable (if wired) connected to router. Best compatible choice (until there is real virtual adapter): 2 network adapters, both connected to router and second one reserved for WinUAE (make sure Windows does not use it by unticking all ipv4/ipv6 and other network services from it)

Use IDE emulation, it is more compatible.