English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 June 2023, 08:52   #1
thegeps

Turrican for MSX new WIP

After the vicissitudes of which those of you who follow me on Facebook are aware, I finally managed to progress a bit with the development.
First of all I added the ability to bend over. The sprites were already there but I hadn't updated the code yet. This addition led to the code being changed to make the vertical firing position coincide with the height of the rifle. I designed and added gfx for the game info panel. The code already provides for its constant updating on the screen even if currently only the values ??of gems and (possibly) credits are changed (which are updated based on the number of gems collected, so it was all part of the same piece of code).
And that brings us to the latest addition, collectible gems. The latter, just like the destructible background elements, are managed in a precise way, differently from the game versions for C64 and Amiga (I don't know of others so I can't say about them). There are no gems or walls that disappear when "pushed" off the screen. All changes are calculated and stored in real time in the map. So if you leave a gem at the beginning of the level, wander far and wide and then come back you will find it there, where you left it. I intend, if possible, to do the same also for the enemies (whose sprites are already ready, at least in the temporary version designed by me). We will see.
Finally I fixed some minor bugs (among which the calculation of one of the possibilities of block destruction).
As always, set YouTube playback quality to 720p50 to avoid losing frames. Enjoy!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 June 2023, 10:03   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I mean, if I had this available back in the day I wouldn't have played much else.
Old 08 June 2023, 12:42   #3
DanyPPC

It's a MSX well exploited.
Old 08 June 2023, 12:55   #4
crabfists

Very nice! Good work
Old 08 June 2023, 15:56   #5
Aulapatchuc

It seems that is already in a very cool stag of development. I played some MSX games back in the day going to a friend's house and I'm with @gimbal in this one, I wouldn't have played much else.

Excellent work!
Old 08 June 2023, 17:50   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Don't agree with me too much, it causes disturbances in the force.
Old 08 June 2023, 19:01   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulapatchuc View Post
It seems that is already in a very cool stag of development. I played some MSX games back in the day going to a friend's house and I'm with @gimbal in this one, I wouldn't have played much else.

Excellent work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Don't agree with me too much, it causes disturbances in the force.

I still need a list of good worth playing MSX games. 2 that Gimbal suggested (King's Valley, Road Fighter) I completed.

This is something I would definitely try... I still play C64 version from time to time...
Old 08 June 2023, 20:01   #8
rothers

I love this. Amazing work.
Old 08 June 2023, 20:24   #9
Photon

Big thumbs and good luck! (It does change a bit when you add enemies and bosses.) But the beam impressed me, and the general playability already looks promising so far.
Old 14 July 2023, 23:29   #10
thegeps

Finally it's up to the enemies to make an appearance! It wasn't easy to add them into such a large map. For now, the code is simply concerned with locating them, identifying their type and showing them on the screen. As you will see from the video there are still some display bugs, but it depends on the fact that I haven't yet inserted a real slot system for the objects. Flickering is painful but necessary (MSX1 can only show 4 sprites on the same line at the same time). The next step will be to add physics and action patterns. Stay tuned!
(As always set YT playback to 720p50, or flickering will look worse XD)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 July 2023, 07:24   #11
DanyPPC

Really Good !
Old 15 July 2023, 12:19   #12
Factor5
Senior Game Dev

Impressive work so far. I love it!
Old 15 July 2023, 13:37   #13
DisasterIncarna

great job
Old 15 July 2023, 17:52   #14
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

This is indeed pretty awesome already. Well done!
Old 15 July 2023, 19:55   #15
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

For some enemies you should go the speccy route and use characters imo - or maybe software sprites
Old 16 July 2023, 22:01   #16
thegeps

Can't use characters, bevause they are all already in use. I'm thinking about using only one sprite for the walkers, because they are the ones that often could be on the same line, causing the 5th sprite condition and flickering. Other ones move vertically more often
Old 17 July 2023, 08:24   #17
thegeps

You can try yourself the current version online here:

Hhttps://www.file-hunter.com/Homebrew/?id=turrican&fbclid=IwAR0rrzS3V0CBGjtjl9XurdPMT2NCq8dHZeO8SpqpurMlOr3oYmt6220lMtQ
Old 17 July 2023, 18:04   #18
thegeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor5 View Post
Impressive work so far. I love it!
This means a lot! Much more, this means everything! <3
Old 18 July 2023, 12:48   #19
AestheticDebris

Very impressive looking so far. I couldn't try much out with that online version as it doesn't respond to the controls on my phone (I guess it need joystick support?) but watching the YouTube footage it certainly looks good so far. Having played the Speccy and CPC versions in the past, I don't think the character based scrolling should affecy gameplay too much either.
Old 20 July 2023, 14:45   #20
thegeps

Yep, webmsx has strange behavior on phones (often the sound is corrupted and/or slow) and the main character os conteolled indeed with cursor keys (I'll add joystick next time)