English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 April 2010, 02:54   #1
jimmer78

issues cf ide pcmcia cfs fat95 x4 ide

Guys I'm having a nightmare. I got a CF to IDE convertor....(it's one several previous posters have used).... that I know works with amiga. I've also got a PCMCIA adaptor, I have various cards: 256mb lexar, 2gb DaneElec x133, 2gb Transcend x44, and a 8Gb Sandisk Extreme iV. NONE of these work in either the IDE or the PCMICIA - what do I do?

I have OS 3.9 - it was installed already on a1200 HD - I dont have the install CD - so wanting to swap HD for CF and copy everything over.

I've tried all the cards - amiga never boots with lexar card inserted? others only in pcmcia not ide... black screen....take card out leave adaptor plugged in it boots. This is on an eyetech x4 ide interface with cd-rom, internal 20gig 3.5 inch hd attached also.....I had the cf to ide on the channel 2 master....

I installed CDF with fat95 to try the pcmicia but keep getting "HDTOOLS cannot handle this type of media" errors when trying to format it in hdtoolbox and "write protected" or " unable to make changes" when using os3.9 prepcard?

I can see the cards in prepcard.

I've tried winuae with usb to cf and Ican't see the cf card on desktop (amiga)...works fine in pc........what am I doing wrong?

Wasted a whole day on this any ideas?

I have a 1200, apollo 1240, 32 mb ram, 20gb 3.5 HD

help me before i buy the cf hd card thing on ebay!!!

Cheers.
Old 27 April 2010, 03:33   #2
Cammy

I'm a little bit confused by what you're trying to do. Are you saying that you're trying to boot from a FAT formatted CF card, or that it won't format in the PCMCIA adapter? Because neither of those things will work. You can format it as FAT in the PCMCIA adapter, if you have compactflash.device and Fat95 installed, but then the card can only be used to transfer data between Amigas and PCs, it can't be used to install Workbench on (although you can still use it to back up your 3.9 setup. I recommend LHAing the whole lot rather than copying it file for file). If you want to prepare a CF card to be used as an internal, bootable drive on your IDE port, you will need to put it on the IDE port in the Amiga, prep and partition it with HDToolBox or HDInstTools, then format it as FFS, SFS or PFS3.

To do this, you must have a floppy disk with one of those filesystems installed in it, as well as the format or sfsformat command, and the HD prep program of your choice.
Old 27 April 2010, 11:27   #3
jimmer78

Trying to use one card as pcmcia, and another to replace internal hd,

The amiga will not recognize either properly! Nothing comes up on the work bench not even cf0 ndos??

I am running 3.9 already do should I be able to format card in hdtools from workbench when card is in ide adapter for the hd replacement? hdtools can see the card now that cfs is installed, but when i try format it just says "hdtools unable to handle this type of media"....

Prep card can "see" the pcmcia card cf, cannot prepare it though, says write protected, Nothing happens when I mount CFO (CFS).....

what do i do to have an internal hd through the ide and another for transfers to pc etc through pcmcia?

cheers.
Old 27 April 2010, 11:51   #4
Jope
-

For PCMCIA: format the cards on the PC, install fat95 and the stuff from cfd.lha onto your amiga, mount cf0:, insert the card into the adapter and plug the adapter into the pcmcia slot.
Old 27 April 2010, 14:16   #5
jimmer78

didn't work? prepcard sees the card but nothing come up on the workbench desktop....
Old 28 April 2010, 23:04   #6
jimmer78

OK I used WINUAE and got the dane-elec 2GB x133 card to work through CF reader USB and added as a hard drive - I partitioned into 100mb and 1.9 Gb, installed OS 3.9 and transfered to my A1200 - works like a dream!

The Lexar 256Mb, MyData 2GB & Sandisk Extreme IV 8GB do not work in Winuae or real A1200 - lock these systems....

None of the cards worked with PCMCIA either - even the dan-elec......prepcard can "see" it but nothing else. Maybe it's the converter - a compaq type 1 CF reader..???

Any way _ I wan't to now get another CF card that will definately work with PCMCIA - so what do you guys recommened? a 1 or 2 GB is fine!

Cheers,
Jim.
Old 28 April 2010, 23:09   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer78 View Post
Any way _ I wan't to now get another CF card that will definately work with PCMCIA - so what do you guys recommened? a 1 or 2 GB is fine!
SanDisk Ultra II or Extreme III up to 4GB (if you can still get them).
Old 28 April 2010, 23:19   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
SanDisk Ultra II or Extreme III up to 4GB (if you can still get them).
+1 for Sandisk, I've got two albeit older and smaller cards but they both work fine (256mb & 1gb)

Steve.
Old 29 April 2010, 00:11   #9
jimmer78

Cool - will go for a sandisk then.... seen this on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-Ultr...2492486&sr=1-7

- WOW with a saving of over £1.7 MILLION!!! ???
Old 29 April 2010, 00:15   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

I'm not sure about the 8GB capacity card, but the 4GB Ultra II works a treat!