English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 January 2021, 16:14   #101
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_W View Post
Having some problem with my amiga 500 1mb, 03a version, the guest are invisible but game behave like they are there. 04a version won't start and hangs right before title screen should appear.
04a is the only version i have tested on a1200 and there it works good.
The A500 will need 1mb Chip RAM, with the extra memory starting at address $80000. Not a Slow RAM expansion that has memory at $C00000. This probably is why you can't see any of the customers using 03a on that system.

B
Old 26 January 2021, 18:55   #102
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Okay, dudes.

I've uploaded a new test version that should fix the freezing control problem.

I've just spent an hour playing all the way through to round 40 and it seems to be sorted. If some of you lot could put some time into it to confirm the fix, or otherwise, it would be a big help.

B
Old 31 January 2021, 14:40   #103
Nightshft

To round 40 wow.
I agree that the customer "spawn rate" is quite high. Maybe add the possibility to select one of three levels that slightly affect spawn rate?
I played it up to level 9 and 166k points with no control freeze. (Winuae, A1200 profile)
Nice progress Bob!
Will you add the bonus game again?
Old 31 January 2021, 17:36   #104
skyzoo73

Today I had some free time, and I tested the latest version. It seems to work perfectly without any problems.

I've played several times, but i can't go beyond level 7, the number of people to serve is too high (at least for me).

Click image for larger version

Name:	tapper test.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	70701
Old 31 January 2021, 18:26   #105
skyzoo73

I tried the arcade game (retropie), and it's really harder. The beers can fall to the bottom of the counter, if customers arrive at the top of the banker without being served, they get angry and throw you away! When the music changes in the same level, dancers pop up. But this I think you know.
Old 31 January 2021, 20:24   #106
matt64

As someone who really loves the original Arcade tapper, great job on the port and thank you for bringing it to the Amiga. Here's my feedback after playing through it for a bit:

The sound is great, the sprites look great. It would be nice if it could fill a bit more of the screen, but maybe there is some technical reason for it. No freeze ups or glitching at all for me on a real PAL A1200, everything ran nice and smooth.

A few obvious things (that I'm sure you're aware of and just haven't fully implemented yet)
1) You can't serve too many beers, they don't fall off the end of the counter they just disappear and you don't lose a life
2) When a customer reaches the end they don't throw you down the bar.

A few less obvious tweaks/timing things I noticed:
1) The beer mug sprites are lower when they are sliding compared to when the customer picks them up. I close took a look back at the original running in MAME and while something does happen when the customer grabs the mug (different sprite, actually looks like a slightly different shape), it doesn't seem to move "up" as much. Maybe it does, but something with the resolution or the sprites makes it a less noticable "jump" up into the customer's hands.
2) The empty mugs being returned move a little too slowly. They need to slide faster
3) The bartender is able to run down the row too fast when retrieving mugs or tips. The original has the running speed just barely fast enough to make it in time. Being able to run quickly to retrieve mugs and tips lowers the difficulty significantly
4) On the punk bar (but maybe on others too) it seemed like the customers on the top row stood around for a long time before starting to move, not sure if they do this on the original or not though.
5) I have no way of measuring, but I think the time between when you press up/down, the bartender moves, and the time he can then pick up mugs is just a little too short (fast) on the Amiga. There is an ever so slight delay in the original that makes the mugs hit the floor if you are just a split second too late. I noticed I was able to jump between rows almost instantly and got the mugs every time. Maybe just slow that down a touch.

Great work so far, and I look forward to the finished version!
Old 31 January 2021, 22:07   #107
Nightshft

Although matt for sure is correct with this comparison, I want to renew my vote for not making it harder but maybe implementing a couple of difficulty levels. I must say I really liked the game for being just a little less hard than the arcade. IMHO it makes it more enjoyable.
Old 01 February 2021, 06:09   #108
TjLaZer

Yeah we are not all gaming experts, not too hard please. It's perfect as it sits right now. Just finish it up.
Old 01 February 2021, 06:11   #109
Valken

I wonder can we load a "mod" to make this into Rootbeer tapper? or the home versions with other graphics like Mountain Dew or Pepsi? It is basically the same game but with swapped graphics for "kids".
Old 01 February 2021, 08:25   #110
Daishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
I wonder can we load a "mod" to make this into Rootbeer tapper? or the home versions with other graphics like Mountain Dew or Pepsi? It is basically the same game but with swapped graphics for "kids".
It's Budweiser so it's kids beer ;-)
Old 01 February 2021, 19:35   #111
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
Exactly
Old 02 February 2021, 15:15   #112
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Sorry, dudes. Didn't notice that some of you had posted in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzoo73 View Post
Today I had some free time, and I tested the latest version. It seems to work perfectly without any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
I played it up to level 9 and 166k points with no control freeze. (Winuae, A1200 profile)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt64 View Post
No freeze ups or glitching at all for me on a real PAL A1200, everything ran nice and smooth.
This is good news. I'm fairly sure that bug has been successfully eliminated.

Quote:
I've played several times, but i can't go beyond level 7, the number of people to serve is too high (at least for me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Yeah we are not all gaming experts, not too hard please.
Quote:
Maybe add the possibility to select one of three levels that slightly affect spawn rate?
I've been thinking about this myself and it shouldn't be too much work to include it.

Quote:
Will you add the bonus game again?
Yes, this will be included.

Quote:
It would be nice if it could fill a bit more of the screen, but maybe there is some technical reason for it.
The screen is the same 256x240 pixels as the background assets from the original game. I did experiment with a full 320 pixel width screen in early test programs but eventually decided against it. It helps performance a little with the screen a bit narrower.

Quote:
I tried the arcade game (retropie), and it's really harder. The beers can fall to the bottom of the counter, if customers arrive at the top of the banker without being served, they get angry and throw you away!
Quote:
1) You can't serve too many beers, they don't fall off the end of the counter they just disappear and you don't lose a life
2) When a customer reaches the end they don't throw you down the bar.
The code for those two player death scenarios hasn't been written yet, but will be in the next test version.

Quote:
1) The beer mug sprites are lower when they are sliding compared to when the customer picks them up. I close took a look back at the original running in MAME and while something does happen when the customer grabs the mug (different sprite, actually looks like a slightly different shape), it doesn't seem to move "up" as much. Maybe it does, but something with the resolution or the sprites makes it a less noticable "jump" up into the customer's hands.
This is by design.

Quote:
2) The empty mugs being returned move a little too slowly. They need to slide faster
This may end up being part of the difficulty setting mentioned above.

Quote:
4) On the punk bar (but maybe on others too) it seemed like the customers on the top row stood around for a long time before starting to move, not sure if they do this on the original or not though.
This is the same for all the rounds and is how the original game works.

Quote:
3) The bartender is able to run down the row too fast when retrieving mugs or tips. The original has the running speed just barely fast enough to make it in time. Being able to run quickly to retrieve mugs and tips lowers the difficulty significantly

5) I have no way of measuring, but I think the time between when you press up/down, the bartender moves, and the time he can then pick up mugs is just a little too short (fast) on the Amiga. There is an ever so slight delay in the original that makes the mugs hit the floor if you are just a split second too late. I noticed I was able to jump between rows almost instantly and got the mugs every time. Maybe just slow that down a touch.
This is also by design. One thing that bugs me when I play the game in MAME is how sluggish the control for the player character is. I want my game to be a touch faster overall and generally more responsive to player input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
Surely Budweiser is the "King of Beers"? At least, it says so on the can...

B

Last edited by Old_Bob; 02 February 2021 at 15:33.
Old 25 May 2021, 19:31   #113
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Sorry for the delay, dudes.

I've finally picked this up again after a little break and have a new version for testing.

I've added a little menu on game start that adds a handicap value to the spawn time for the customers. Have a play around with the options and see if you think it feels about right. You will now also die when one of your beers goes over the end of the bar. So, no more indiscriminate beer flinging from now on...

ADF is in The Zone.

B
Old 25 May 2021, 22:46   #114
zzbylu
Saberman

Gameplay: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 May 2021, 13:41   #115
nikosidis

Great to see the project alive Old_Bob
Just played it on my A1200 and is working very nice.
If there is one little complaint it is that the sound quality can be a little noisy or low quality at times.

Keep on the great work.
Old 27 May 2021, 06:12   #116
TjLaZer

Very nice progress!
Old 27 May 2021, 08:17   #117
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Cool that you can progress on it. Keep the good work
Old 28 May 2021, 04:47   #118
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

I love the way he almost teleports between taps. Very cartoon like. Cool
Old 28 May 2021, 12:31   #119
Nightshft

Nice work, please continue!
Old 28 May 2021, 13:33   #120
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Have you all tried the different difficulty settings? If so, what did you think?

Too easy? Too hard? Hmm???

B