English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 29 April 2023, 02:34   #1
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

AmigaOS 3.2 install modules post hd install

I have been using an FS-UAE environment with direct disk interface to partition an 8GB DoM and install AmigaOS 3.2.

To match my target A500+ hardware I first chose 3.1 KS ROM but FS-UAE insists on using A2000 Modules disk during install, which does seem to work but I'd rather get the matching A500 modules installed if possible (on the assumption if they were fully compatible, why are there separate disks?!).

Therefore, I repeated the install from scratch with a 3.2 KS ROM configured in the emulator which "skips" the modules step completely. Of course, when I reset with the KS ROM switched back to 3.1 it obviously complains about module versions as expected! Booting with the A500 Modules disk suffices to get to Workbench but the final step is unclear to me... how do I make it so I no longer require the disk?! i.e. repeat what the installer did when using a 3.1 KS ROM after the fact.

There is a SYStoInstallDisk tool but it's unclear if I should perhaps try assigning an alias for DH0: to pretend to be the Install3.2 volume or manually copy files and edit the startup sequence?
Old 29 April 2023, 04:31   #2
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

I think I figured it out, but wishing the top level Installer had an option to "Add Modules for (Amiga)"

I compared against my A500+ and cherry-picked and edited files as I saw fit.

Booting from the A500 modules disk:

Code:
makedir dh0:libs/A500
makedir dh0:libs/Modules
makedir dh0:libs/Resources
ModulesA500_3.2:
copy libs/A500 to dh0:libs/A500 clone
copy libs/Modules to dh0:libs/Modules clone
copy libs/Resources to dh0:libs/Resources clone
copy l/System-startup to dh0:l clone
copy l/Con-handler to dh0:l clone
copy l/Ram-handler to dh0:l clone
copy l/Shell-seg to dh0:l clone
copy l/Syslog to dh0:l clone
copy devs/(#?.device) to dh0:devs clone
copy libs/(#?.library) to dh0:libs clone
copy libs/Resources to dh0:libs clone
startup-sequence:

Code:
Version exec.library version 47 >NIL:
If Warn
  LoadModule L:System-Startup ROMUPDATE
Else
  Version strap version 47 >NIL:
Endif
SetPatch >NIL:
Old 29 April 2023, 07:48   #3
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

If you use the 3.2 ROM provided then the modules disk won't be needed as the required modules are already loaded via the ROM.
Old 29 April 2023, 08:43   #4
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

Yes, though my intention was to allow it to boot on my A500+ with KS 3.1 (I'm using FS-UAE just for convenience of install) so I needed the modules. I noticed also with almost all YouTube tutorials the first step was ROM burning or upgrade when this is not a requirement!

A little later I made the 3.2.2 update too and noticed it gave a selection for Amiga model to upgrade for A500 modules specifically so perhaps I missed something only available in Intermediate/Expert install for 3.2? If each install mode is documented as such I more than likely missed it too to be honest!

It does seem that I was on the right track with my hacking since HSTWB scripts do something similar (well, far more concise!) https://github.com/henrikstengaard/h...S/Amiga-OS-3.2
Old 29 April 2023, 10:12   #5
thomas

Do not use Novice mode. Never use Novice more. Never. For anything. Novice mode only works correctly on the author's machine, nowhere else.
Old 29 April 2023, 18:31   #6
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

Noted!!!