English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 April 2021, 08:23   #1
PoulpSquad

Scaling down RTG display and commands order with uae-configuration

Good morning all,

I find myself in need of advice about a couple of things.

I'll try to collect my thoughts and assemble them in coherent phrases, although it's 8:00 am and I haven't slept yet ^^

First item is about getting old and going blind.

I own an ultra-wide monitor capable of displaying 3440x1440 pixels, and when I'm using it with WinUAE with RTG enabled, I am unable to read text.

I'd like to have WinUAE use the monitor in its native resolution, but scale stuff down by a factor of 2 vertically, while keeping the same aspect ratio than the native display.

No matter what resolution I use, WinUAE scales the vertical resolution to fit the monitor, and if I alt-tab out and back again, the display gets stretched to fill the whole 3440x1440!

I tried setting the aspect ratio but it didn't work (anyway the aspect ratio of my monitor is 43:18, closest I found is 21:9, which is close but not an exact match).

Next question is about WHDLoad, ExecuteStartup, ExecuteCleanup and uae-configuration.

I am setting up a virtual Amiga 4000 to run a bunch of games with the help of WHDLoad.

I'd like to use uae-configure to alter the emulation behavior so that some games with issues can run better.

I have identified a bunch of commands I reckon will be most useful for my purpose, including but not limited to:

chipset
chipset_compatible
cpu_multiplier
cpu_speed (might be redundant with cpu_multiplier)
cpu_cycle_exact
cycle_exact
cpu_memory_cycle_exact
blitter_cycle_exact

and the all-time favorite,

cachesize

and assorted

comp_trustbyte

I understand whatever options I use in ExecuteStartup should be restored to its original value in reverse order in ExecuteCleanup.

But in what order should I set the commands in ExecuteStartup in the first place?

Please forgive this wall of text. I am ever grateful for the time you might spend reading my prose!

Last edited by PoulpSquad; 30 April 2021 at 08:36.
Old 30 April 2021, 09:13   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If setting aspect = automatic (in RTG panel) does not work, it is most likely your GPU doing the scaling. Check GPU control panel and make sure scaling is disabled and/or at least forces correct aspect.

(I have 5120x1440 monitor and I can get RTG screen that has correct aspect and lots of black in both left and right side)
Old 30 April 2021, 09:23   #3
PoulpSquad

That's the strange thing, scaling in the nvidia panel is disabled!

That's the first thing I checked, as I've had some trouble with it in DOSBox.

But if it were enabled, wouldn't it work as soon as Workbench is run?

I do have correct aspect and black bars left and right (but not top and bottom as I'd expect), but if I alt-tab, the display gets stretched out to 3440x1440.

P.S.: Enabling the setting "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" in the nvidia panel (Display/Adjust desktop size and position) fixes the stretching problem, but only in part.

Alt-tabbing in and out doesn't cause the display to be stretched, but it is still scaled vertically to the native vertical resolution.

Creating a new resolution of 900x720 pixels and setting Workbench to use that for RTG works pretty well, as it has the same aspect ratio as the high-res interlaced native display, is integer-scaled to 1440, and is low-res enough for me to use it comfortably.

Switching to fullscreen with ctrl-F-12 centers the display and shows black bars left/right and top/bottom, as I expected.

P.S. 2: Is it possible to add an item in the Settings/Hardware/RTG Board/Aspect Ratio for my weird 43:18 aspect ratio? 21:9 stretches the image vertically a bit. Maybe there is a way for users to add their own?

Last edited by PoulpSquad; 30 April 2021 at 12:16.