English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 February 2023, 13:15   #1001
spoUP

Great work bzr!
The song length spreadsheet is very useful.
Old 26 February 2023, 13:16   #1002
spoUP

Maybe it could be hosted somewhere for other players to use as well? https://hippoplayer.se surely would benefit from it.
Old 03 March 2023, 08:08   #1003
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitm4n View Post
A lot !! Must be 100+ i bet.

bLAZER. Since installing your latest version i can no longer just double a click a file and have it load and play. I've scooted through the options and can't see a "play on load" type control. Am i missing something. And is there a way to get a similar visual look of the old player?

Thanks.
You can't double click at the moment, that feature hasn't been implemented yet , still Alpha you know. No similar look as the old player. I guess you can close all windows you don't want and get a smaller player.
Old 03 March 2023, 08:09   #1004
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP View Post
Maybe it could be hosted somewhere for other players to use as well? https://hippoplayer.se surely would benefit from it.
Yes, when it's more complete it should probably be hosted somewhere more official. Nothing stops you from using it now though in other programs.
Old 05 March 2023, 22:30   #1005
Titler
Zone Friend

Got the old nostalgia itch today, and popped by WinUAE, noticed this fine player was still going so I thought I'd update it whilst here... there's a teensy, tiny bug that has always seemed to be there for me even since the decade now I first posted on this thread! When you have a playlist up and running, and pinned to the player, if you alt tab away and come back, the playlist window disappears, and you have to click PL twice to show it again.

Otherwise, still as wonderful as ever, thank you.
Old 06 March 2023, 20:01   #1006
hitm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLAZER View Post
You can't double click at the moment, that feature hasn't been implemented yet , still Alpha you know. No similar look as the old player. I guess you can close all windows you don't want and get a smaller player.
Hi, thanks for the info. Big fan of small and discrete, hence the questions about GUI layout etc. I will drop back to the previous version for now, that double click to play (default app option) is a must-have, but still very interested in the progress of this version. Particularly with all the enhancements and new player routines. Keep us informed
Old 10 March 2023, 12:56   #1007
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

Quote:
I will drop back to the previous version for now, that double click to play (default app option) is a must-have, but still very interested in the progress of this version.
Good news, that feature is now added!

BZR Player 2.0.44 Alpha Released!
Column widths are now saved, custom for every playlist
Drag-and-drop files to the currently selected playlist to add files to that playlist (#307)
Drag-and-drop a playlist to the playlists window to add a playlist (#215, #307)
You can add files/folders from command line, like so: BZRPlayer.exe file1.mp3 folder file2.mod (#286, #139)
You can open files in Windows Explorer (double click) to add and play them directly in BZR Player (#286, #139)
3727 entries/files now in UADE songlength database
https://easyupload.io/bofnm5
Old 10 March 2023, 18:07   #1008
hitm4n

Neat. Double click to play working well...
Some bugs i spotted.
1. Player showed 3 playlists, when i deleted one, it crashed the app. Upon reload that playlist was gone. Deleted the second one, it crashed. Upon reload it was gone again. I was then left with just the default playlists list. I then closed that window as i won't use it.
2. If using a regular playlist window, if i close the player and then double click a new file i would expect the playlist to be refreshed and new, but it still lists the mod last played. This playlist seems to accumulate to infinity if not cleared out manually.
3. I have closed all view windows, shrunk the play window down to its minimum size and condensed the playlist window. Its all nice and small. Then exit the app. Upon reload the player window is back to its large default size although only the 2 windows i left open are showing now, so it seems to be remembering my view options but not window sizes as yet.

Its close enough now i can stick with this version and won't be rolling back this time. Still keen for the updates and new features.

Final question, i know you teased scrolly text a while back, but i don't get anything in the visualisers window. Is this just not implemented yet? I used to like that bouncy pulsating cube
Cheers.
Old 16 March 2023, 09:31   #1009
spoUP

Blazer, we fetch your song lenght db daily now and it's being used at https://www.hippoplayer.se i just wanted to send a big thanks for your efforts!
Old 19 March 2023, 10:46   #1010
Tobibrocki

Ok, so I downloaded the player just minutes ago and have been loading the playlist from my other player and I'm positively surprised with it so far. Many things play out of the box that would have required a plugin in the other player. It's looking very promising.

Still, I would like to suggest some features (not sure if they are planned or already implemented):
- Manual sorting of individual playlist items (right click -> Move (maybe?))
- Right click menu entry for playlist item that opens a window to the containing file/folder

And some formats I noticed that don't seem to be supported yet:
- psf2 (Playstation 2)
- rsn (Super Nintendo)
- spc (Super Nintendo)
- miniusf (Nintendo 64)

Also, some soundtracks in .vgz format don't seem to play (for example: "Prop Cycle" from Namco) among several others, not sure if the vgz format has specific variants and that is why they don't work?)

Last edited by Tobibrocki; 19 March 2023 at 21:19.
Old 19 March 2023, 23:32   #1011
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

Quote:
Neat. Double click to play working well...
Some bugs i spotted.
1. Player showed 3 playlists, when i deleted one, it crashed the app. Upon reload that playlist was gone. Deleted the second one, it crashed. Upon reload it was gone again. I was then left with just the default playlists list. I then closed that window as i won't use it.
2. If using a regular playlist window, if i close the player and then double click a new file i would expect the playlist to be refreshed and new, but it still lists the mod last played. This playlist seems to accumulate to infinity if not cleared out manually.
3. I have closed all view windows, shrunk the play window down to its minimum size and condensed the playlist window. Its all nice and small. Then exit the app. Upon reload the player window is back to its large default size although only the 2 windows i left open are showing now, so it seems to be remembering my view options but not window sizes as yet.

Its close enough now i can stick with this version and won't be rolling back this time. Still keen for the updates and new features.

Final question, i know you teased scrolly text a while back, but i don't get anything in the visualisers window. Is this just not implemented yet? I used to like that bouncy pulsating cube
Cheers.
1. I forgot to get rid of some test playfiles before releasing. The crash has also been fixed.
2. Hm... I don't totally understand, canyou describe it more thoroughly?
3. It might be a problem with user rights etc. Did you try running from place whith no restrictions?

The scrolly stuff only works for libopenmpt, libxmp and HivelyTracker, so mod/it/s3m/xm etc. and ahx/hively
Old 19 March 2023, 23:33   #1012
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP View Post
Blazer, we fetch your song lenght db daily now and it's being used at https://www.hippoplayer.se i just wanted to send a big thanks for your efforts!
Great that someone else also has use for it!
Old 19 March 2023, 23:36   #1013
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobibrocki View Post
Ok, so I downloaded the player just minutes ago and have been loading the playlist from my other player and I'm positively surprised with it so far. Many things play out of the box that would have required a plugin in the other player. It's looking very promising.

Still, I would like to suggest some features (not sure if they are planned or already implemented):
- Manual sorting of individual playlist items (right click -> Move (maybe?))
- Right click menu entry for playlist item that opens a window to the containing file/folder

And some formats I noticed that don't seem to be supported yet:
- psf2 (Playstation 2)
- rsn (Super Nintendo)
- spc (Super Nintendo)
- miniusf (Nintendo 64)

Also, some soundtracks in .vgz format don't seem to play (for example: "Prop Cycle" from Namco) among several others, not sure if the vgz format has specific variants and that is why they don't work?)
Thanks for the feedback!

Right click playlist item has "show containing folder". Or do you mean for the playlist itself?
Sorting/moving etc. is planned but not implemented.
vgz has support for a lot of different systems so there might be cases when the play library hasn't implemented that. Can you give me some examples?
Old 20 March 2023, 08:47   #1014
Tobibrocki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLAZER View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

Right click playlist item has "show containing folder". Or do you mean for the playlist itself?
Sorting/moving etc. is planned but not implemented.
vgz has support for a lot of different systems so there might be cases when the play library hasn't implemented that. Can you give me some examples?
Hmm... I downloaded version 1.06, just to name the version I have.
I can't seem to find the "show containing folder" menu item. All I can see is "Clear playlist", "Remove selected files" and "Save playlist" when I right-click a item in the playlist.
Have I overlooked something?

About the vgz, I will send you a PM with the list.
Old 20 March 2023, 20:59   #1015
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

Oh, you're talking about the old 1.06 version. That's not in development any longer.

Good news is BZR Player 2 has both "Show containing folder" and also all those vgz plays fine.
Old 20 March 2023, 21:33   #1016
Tobibrocki

Just now noticed the text on the website talking about the rewrite of the player.
I just assumed that the version available on the site is always the latest and went straight to the download.
My bad. ^.^;
Old 24 March 2023, 14:13   #1017
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

BZR Player 2.0.47 Alpha Released!
[New] Can now play SunVox songs (https://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/)
[New] Can now play MIDI (.mid) songs (#29)
[New] Seeking in mods/xm/it etc. with libopenmpt will play currently playing samples and not have to wait for the next note
[New] Option for just enqueuing a file without playing it directly when double clicking it in explorer (#286)
[Bug] Default path for songlength file for sid and uade didn't show in settings if there was no .cfg files in plugin/config dir (#158)
[Bug] Crashed when pressing a key in fullscreen tracker or visualizer. Now spacebar/escape/enter/return key works again to exit fullscreen (#346)
[Bug] If launching BZR Player through double clicking a file, no visualizer fonts where shown in the browser window in settings (#351)
[Bug] Default visualizer font "Angels" wasn't loaded when launching BZR Player through double clicking a file (#352)
[Bug] Most SC68 files was silent when opened through double clicking a file (#344)
[Bug] Icon for Windows Tiles was missing (#350)
[Bug] Fixed memory leak in sc68 plugin
[Bug] Forgot to add latest libopenmpt plugin, so stereo separation setting didn't work
[Bug] Browse visualizer font button was missing the icon (#353)
[Other] Upgraded to vgmstream r1831
[Other] 3822 entries/files now in UADE songlength database
https://easyupload.io/jesmka
Old 29 March 2023, 19:44   #1018
meynaf
son of 68k

Just tried the new version. There were some good surprises (general midi, sndh, better protracker support).
But unfortunately, there is still no single software that will play everything I throw at it...

So here are the file types I have tried and did not work. Not sure what is supposed to be supported and what's not.

Not recognised :
(Amiga formats) (shouldn't UADE plugin be able to play these ?)
Hippel-COSO (normal and 7v)
Sonic Arranger
DT custom modules
Digital mugician
Maxtrax
P41/P61 (odd, as P60 are played)
Vectordean (aka Richard Joseph)

(Atari ST formats)
TCB tracker
Quartet ST
SoundFX ST

(PC formats)
Opus (both as straight opus and inside webm)
MP4 (with AAC inside)
Extended Midi (XMI) (okay, nobody plays that...)

Incomplete/incorrect support :
(Amiga formats)
MED (most are ok ; old MMD0 from push over does not play correctly)
(Atari ST formats)
Jochen Hippel ST (some ok, some not recognised, some mismatched with TFMX-Pro-TFHD)
(PC formats)
straight AAC (one played incorrect, one was not recognised)

I can provide files if needed. PM me in that case.
Old 29 March 2023, 23:30   #1019
hitm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
But unfortunately, there is still no single software that will play everything I throw at it...
I would add...

FaceTheMusic (FTM) Nothing can play these yet that i know of
MDAT mods (with seperate .smpl files)
TFX mods (with seperate .sam files)
HIPC - Crashes the player
HIP - uade - Some do some don't
FRED - Some do some don't
PT3 - Not working

FLS, FXM (both chip tune AY style mods - seem to be not supported)

FTC, STC, VTX, PSC, PT1, PT2, ASC, GTR, PSM
(All these formats use the ZXTune player)
Some will play, some crash, some do nothing. If i reload a tune sometimes it will play. If i play one tune using the ZXTune player, then try another it crashes. Play that crashed tune again and it plays. I would suggest theres a bug with loading this ZXTune routine, or the mod formats that utilise it. Stability in this player routine would add a great deal of format support.

SQT, STP - These load in uade player, seem to load and play, but no sound comes out? Length not calculated.

BZR is slowly becoming a one-stop player for all mod/chip/exotic formats, i really like the advancements with each test release Still, need the player window to remember the size i reduce it to though, so its nice and small

Last edited by hitm4n; 29 March 2023 at 23:31. Reason: formatting
Old 30 March 2023, 08:10   #1020
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
FaceTheMusic (FTM) Nothing can play these yet that i know of
Amiga Delitracker2 should be able to play them.

Quote:
MDAT mods (with seperate .smpl files)
Depends what they are. I could play TFMX Pro, f.e. loading mdat.turrican gets smpl.turrican correctly and plays just fine.

Which brings another issue : we don't know how to name mods with separate samples so that the player will fetch them. Apparently it fails silently if the file is not found. Perhaps the player should display what it tries to load, the "log messages" area seems suited for this.
It is even possible some single-file mods fail to load because they have unexpected/missing prefix/suffix. How can we know ?