English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 01 February 2020, 10:52   #1
jbilander

New product: Retrotink 2X-SCART

This, I think, will be an interesting product to try with the Amiga...

"Like the Pro, it offers smoothing and scan-line generation as well as a USB firmware upgrade capability."

"Note: the 2X-SCART does not have a pass-thru mode. All signals are line-doubled to 480p/576p to make the device as simple and plug-and-play as possible."

https://www.retrotink.com/blog/we-re...h-new-products

https://www.retrotink.com/product-pa...otink-2x-scart
Old 05 February 2020, 13:19   #2
zero

The site is a big vague... Does it support only 15KHz or other frequencies?

Sadly the Framemeister is discontinued now so decent alternatives would be nice.
Old 05 February 2020, 14:06   #3
jbilander

Yes, I think it takes: 240p/480i, 288p/576i, NTSC (60Hz) and PAL (50Hz) at 15kHz and Output: HDMI at 480p/576p (line-doubled mode). I think analog RGB internally is converted to YCbCr just like the RAD2x cable (probably same digitizer chip?).

Review by RetroRGB here:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 February 2020, 15:41   #4
dreadnought

OSSC is supposed to be a good alternative to Framemeister. A new, "Pro" version has been announced recently.
Old 05 February 2020, 17:59   #5
Bren McGuire

What is the difference here between Retrotink and OSSC? Retrotink does not take RGB as input? That's a big difference if that's what it is. I wouldn't get that for an Amiga.
Old 05 February 2020, 18:05   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Retrotink does not take RGB as input?

That's the old RetroTink. The new version has RGB input. I guess the community bugged Mike long enough for that update.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 05 February 2020 at 18:23.
Old 27 May 2020, 11:08   #7
npagonis73

Hi there

Has anyone tried this with an actual amiga? How does it compare to the cheap hdmi converter or the ossc? By the way I never managed to make my ossc work well. Can’t set it up properly and it doesn’t just work for me out of the box.
Old 27 May 2020, 11:28   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I’ve got a Rad2x connected to my N64. It’s ok, pretty decent. Lot better than any of the similar priced (£47) RGB2HDMI adapters. It’s only a third the price of an OSSC

You can get an RGB SCART version direct from RetroTink2x (that’s what’s inside the Rad2x)

I was considering taking apart my Rad2x and connecting it to an Amiga soon

Last edited by alexh; 27 May 2020 at 12:02.
Old 27 May 2020, 12:34   #9
lilwshu

I just bought a 2X-SCART and it is doing a great job on my consoles (PS1 at 50/60hz, Saturn at 60hz 240p/480i). No noticeable lag and a much cleaner picture than the RGB SCART input on the LCD display itself.

I will be testing it with my A1200 when it returns from its recap.
Old 27 May 2020, 14:08   #10
npagonis73

Great news, as soon as you try it on an Amiga please let me know so I can order one. I have got an A1200 just so you know.
Old 27 May 2020, 14:25   #11
jbilander

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
You can get an RGB SCART version direct from RetroTink2x (that’s what’s inside the Rad2x)
VGP (videogameperfection) has them for resell here in Europe as well, but €105 (incl. VAT) is a bit steep in my opinion. Difference to the RAD2x is the 2X-SCART has the artificial scanlines option that the RAD2x doesn't have as far as I know, but is it worth the 2x price difference?. I would like to see a review with the 2X-SCART hooked up to the Amiga.
Old 27 May 2020, 15:55   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, the Rad2x seems expensive if you have a lot of consoles. You need an extra cable for every one? Very silly concept.
Old 27 May 2020, 17:00   #13
dreadnought

There's no business like retro gaming video cable business. Just ask the Retrovision people

What always cracks me up is that actual CRT TV's price is usually 0$ or thereabouts
Old 28 May 2020, 00:15   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Well, the Rad2x seems expensive if you have a lot of consoles. Very silly concept.
It's not aimed at people with lots of consoles. It's aimed at higher volume Jo public who only had one console in their house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
What always cracks me up is that actual CRT TV's price is usually 0$ or thereabouts
And put it where? Most people don't have room for a spare 28" CRT
Old 28 May 2020, 02:20   #15
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
It's not aimed at people with lots of consoles. It's aimed at higher volume Jo public who only had one console in their house.
Those people with a nostalgia flash potentially buy a mini console.

The particular Rad2x devices are aimed for retro enthusiasts who want's a quality video image output (the average Joe doesn't care about it). And most of them have more than 2 different devices. Anyway, this 2X-Scart from RetroTink seems like a nice piece of homebrew hardware.

Quote:
Most people don't have room for a spare 28" CRT
They had the space back in the 80/90s. Even bigger ones (in different rooms). Do they live in hobbit houses these days? I don't get this "i have no place for CRTs anymore". It's more like the wifey tells them: "NO".

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 28 May 2020 at 02:30.
Old 28 May 2020, 09:36   #16
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
And put it where? Most people don't have room for a spare 28" CRT
Yep, because in space of little more than a decade people have started living in shoe boxes. Where there's a will, there's a way. It does not have to be 28" either.

That "I have no room!" is not a good excuse (in most cases), next to "but they're so heavy". The reasons which make much more sense go along the lines of "my gf'd hate it", "I want to play on big display" and so on.
Old 28 May 2020, 09:53   #17
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
That "I have no room!" is not a good excuse (in most cases)
It's as good an excuse as any. Just because you happen to have room for an additional screen, doesn't mean everyone else has.
Old 28 May 2020, 11:53   #18
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
It's as good an excuse as any. Just because you happen to have room for an additional screen, doesn't mean everyone else has.
Not everybody, no. Which is why I used the word "most". Because majority of people who say that, could make room if they really wanted to. They don't because of other reasons.
Old 28 May 2020, 12:16   #19
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Not necessarily lacking space. It's more of a 'using it better' case. Sure, most people could fit a CRT in their home. However, they can also fit a larger flat screen + extra something in that same space.

If one has a whole basement for oneself, or a man-cave, by all means go nuts.

That being said, even if I had all the space in the world, and I do understand that most of the retro stuff looks better on a CRT, I couldn't deal with the CRT flickering. It is a horrible thing of the past and I don't miss it one bit.
Old 28 May 2020, 12:57   #20
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Not necessarily lacking space. It's more of a 'using it better' case. Sure, most people could fit a CRT in their home. However, they can also fit a larger flat screen + extra something in that same space.
Sure, which classifies as "other reasons" I was talking about (same as flicker, which is perfectly understandable). But even so, it's often not even about utilizing the space better, but the simple fact that CRTs are out of fashion, don't fit in the modern scheme of things and are perceived as extremely inconvenient (hence the oft heard comments about their weight"- as if you had to hold one while playing, or "maintenance", as if they needed watering or something). Simply put, they have a bad rep and that's that.

It's similar to how all of a sudden physical media started being perceived as unwieldy and "taking space", even though not so long ago shelves filled with books or cd's were considered a pleasant fixture.

Anyway, sorry for the derail, it's a topic I find quite amusing though.