English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 23 June 2001, 18:00   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Willy Beamish

Hi,

I think the Internet version of this game was transferred from disks that were already (partly) broken. Like many of you might know, the game crashes at the early beginning when Willy tries to use the answering machine.
Now I finally took the time to figure out WHICH disk it is. (Usually, I would play such huge games from HD so I don't have to mess with disks.) It's disk #5 which apparently needs to be re-transferred from a working disk.

Last edited by andreas; 23 June 2001 at 18:40.
Old 23 June 2001, 18:26   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool Beamish

Does the disk suffer from a read-write error?
Old 23 June 2001, 18:40   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

No, that's the weird thing about it: the *disk* is O.K.!! The reason is different. This game is made by SIERRA (or by one of their affiliates), so it uses the same technique like the Larry series: there's only ONE file called 'resource.005' or 'willy.005', and the crucial thing is if you have a BROKEN one, the disk would copy and HD-install without problems (!!!) but the resource file would be broken from the inside -- the bad "surprise" would always come later in the game!
(Well I could almost write a book about this story - this was the problem on BTTR with Larry 3 until I finally retrieved a working disk (after mercilessly tracking down all versions) and sent it to BTTR.)

I could even *prove* that it was broken: copied both the "working" and the "non-working" resource.xxx to my Windows drive and did a binary compare. They had absolutely the same size to a hair, but they were different anyway! :P

Anyway, here's a disk 5 of Willy Beamish that will work when Willy listens to the answering machine!
Thanks a bunch again to the TOSEC guys - the working disk 5 is in fact taken from one of *their* sets!
[TOSEC Name: "Adventures of Willy Beamish (1992) [alt] (Disk 5 of 13).adf"]

Happy playing!

Last edited by andreas; 24 June 2001 at 12:37.
Old 23 June 2001, 20:55   #4
Amiga1992

Yep I know that problem. HOwever if you try to filecopy it to another disk or an HD, it should give you a bad checksum (or something liek that) error. At least it did give me this eror in my Amiga 600. Happened with a few Sierra games.
Old 23 June 2001, 21:04   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Not always. With Larry 3, it didn't work DESPITE there was NO checksum error on the disk (checked it twice). It definitely was the resource.003 on disk 3, which was same size, but not identical! Akira, if you happen to have LOADS of time once, I can send you two times "disk 3" of Larry 3, one working, the other not working. You can -- read! -- copy both resource.003 files without getting an error. But anyway, only one of the two files will work *in* the game later on. I still kept the save disk with the position saved where one of them would always crash.
Old 23 June 2001, 22:49   #6
MethodGit

Thumbs up And I thought this game would forever be bugged. Praise TOSEC for their efforts!

Yay! A working Disk 5 for this behemoth of a game *at last*. However, does this disk also fix the other major bug which actually prevents you from getting any further into the game? If you don't know what I'm talking about, let me explain:

You know when the whole family gather round to have dinner? Well, after all the events that happen there, you usually wait until 7:00pm, that's when you manage to escape the scene at last. But instead, when the game clock strikes 7pm (whether through waiting for real or using the fast forward option), the character sprites disappear, and the music keeps playing, and then you realise that the whole game has bloody *frozen/crashed* (delete where applicable ). This has happened in WinUAE, not sure about Fellow and/or WinFellow though...

So, does this fixed disk get rid of the problem? Hope so.
Old 24 June 2001, 01:26   #7
Amiga1992

Heh, I dont have such tie unluckily I'd like to read the file, check it out with a hex editor to see how it changed. You know, I tink you could run the two files thru a checksum program and it should bring two completely different checksums...
Old 24 June 2001, 12:32   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Marz,

YES I KNOW!! You're lucky! That took me ages to figure out which disk it is, well this episode is NOT on disk 5, but on DISK 9!! ("Meanwhile: " -- you see Leora and Louis together in the bathtub discuss about the future and their vicious plans...)

I've uploaded a working Disk 9 for you this way you will be able to continue the game now -- enjoy!
This Disk 9 definitely works 100%.

Last edited by andreas; 24 June 2001 at 14:23.
Old 24 June 2001, 14:20   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

There is one thing which is still left to mention about DISK 5: (found it out a bit later)
when Willy either takes his little sister Brianna to the swings OR mows his father's lawn after Day 1, the graphics are garbled at the lower part now...hmmm I'd say that's fate ... :P -- well the one would always crash if Willy was listening to the answering machine, the other wouldn't, but has garbled graphics in the garden - maybe someone else can help out here so I can remove the non-100% Disk 5 from above - thanks!

Last edited by andreas; 25 June 2001 at 20:43.
Old 27 July 2002, 17:33   #10
Maverick357

I need a full set of disks because there some bugs in the game

I have installed the full game on hd because when i play with the disks, they don't recognise the disk 8.

And while playing the game, after quitting the diner (at the begining of the game) the game start loading but freeze after 1 second.

Can somebody help me with uploading a full working version in the zone ?
Old 27 July 2002, 17:55   #11
Fissuras
Old Luny

The tosec set has 3 different versions. I am uploading one. See if it works.
Old 27 July 2002, 18:32   #12
Maverick357

This set does not work !

This set does not work ! I get the same error as in my set (or maybee the error is in disk 10 - 12) that you have not uploaded in the zone.

I got the same freezing.

When i use the phone answear machine i get a crash of the amiga (not the emulator !).
This first set of disks, you can delete it, erase it because it is unusable

Can you upload the next set please ?

Last edited by Maverick357; 27 July 2002 at 19:19.
Old 27 July 2002, 20:02   #13
Fissuras
Old Luny

There I go!
Old 27 July 2002, 22:24   #14
Maverick357

Same result than before with the other disks from set 1 !

The game disks set are bugged:

1) Using the answear machine crash the Amiga
2) After diner, exit the table and the game start loading for ever, you can push escape to try reload (work sometime) or else wait for listening the music with a black screen.

Here the saved game, so can you test it yoursel
Rename the file xxx.log to xxx.001

Please Fissuras, upload another set because this disks set is bad and bugged !
Attached Files
File Type: log scores.log (2.0 KB, 212 views)
Old 27 July 2002, 22:26   #15
andreas
Zone Friend

Hooooo OH WELL...

Why doesn't ANYONE read the whole thread carefully before posting whole sets?
@Fissuras: I don't think that I've told the matter more detailedly like I did it in this thread back in '01.
You have to MIX the sets, otherwise everything will fail again!

You need to use SET I from TOSEC (the Dynamix crack without the [a]) and replace Disk 5 and Disk 9 by the disks from SET II!
That's it ... I was able to play the game till the very end without problems, except the graphics problem when Willy takes his sister to the swings in the garden.
There's still no 100% version of Disk 5 available anywhere as far as I know, maybe in the 3rd set.
I'm still waiting for it. NEITHER "Disk 5" from the first two TOSEC sets is 100%. So please everyone, dive into the deepest depths of your dusty disk boxes. The one has the problem with the answering machine, the other has the gfx problem. But it's playable using the disk 5 from the 2nd set without a crash, at least an advantage.

Last edited by andreas; 27 July 2002 at 22:35.
Old 27 July 2002, 23:03   #16
Fissuras
Old Luny

me --> <--andreas

Silly me! Now I should be punished!

I played the game on my PC, so I never had any problem. So I just felt like uploading... if I only had payed more attention to the thread...

Just in case, I will upload the last set... hehehe just kidding, I'll put up the disk 05 from the third set only.

Last edited by Fissuras; 28 July 2002 at 00:30.
Old 27 July 2002, 23:57   #17
Maverick357

Thanks Fissuras and Andreas

With the Disk 5, the bug of the answear machine is ok, now if you can upload disk 9 too , i suppose it will be fine
Old 28 July 2002, 00:31   #18
Fissuras
Old Luny

DONE
Old 28 July 2002, 02:20   #19
Maverick357

Thousand time thank you Fissuras
Now it seem to be fully playable.

I have download from the underdogs the Pc version (with vga 256/soundblaster), the screen is just bigger and the whole game seem to be at 100 % identical (but MUST be played in 100 % pure dos other else the game crash after a while.

Seem to be a wonderfull good game (with dos version, i am fighting with the vampyre/baby-sitter), too bad there seem to be only one solution, if you get wrong move, you finish to the hospital or worst to milary school !

Personnaly, i prefer play it the Amiga version

Thanks again Fissuras
Old 30 August 2006, 15:18   #20
multi007

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Why doesn't ANYONE read the whole thread carefully before posting whole sets?
@Fissuras: I don't think that I've told the matter more detailedly like I did it in this thread back in '01.
You have to MIX the sets, otherwise everything will fail again!

You need to use SET I from TOSEC (the Dynamix crack without the [a]) and replace Disk 5 and Disk 9 by the disks from SET II!
That's it ... I was able to play the game till the very end without problems, except the graphics problem when Willy takes his sister to the swings in the garden.
There's still no 100% version of Disk 5 available anywhere as far as I know, maybe in the 3rd set.
I'm still waiting for it. NEITHER "Disk 5" from the first two TOSEC sets is 100%. So please everyone, dive into the deepest depths of your dusty disk boxes. The one has the problem with the answering machine, the other has the gfx problem. But it's playable using the disk 5 from the 2nd set without a crash, at least an advantage.
I know this is a dead thread but my question involves these files, so I'm resurrecting this thread.

I have set 1 mentioned above. But I dont have the TOSEC Adventures of Willy Beamish (1992) [alt] (Disk 5 of 13).adf"]

Can someone upload disk 5 and 9 to the Zone please? Thanks

Anthony