English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 July 2021, 22:06   #1
guybrush

cannot mount both the HDF image as dh0 and my sd card

I am trying to restore the OS on a SD card; the card is formatted and has the OS on it; I just need to wipe that and put the working version of the os I have on a HDF file.

For some reason, UAE decided to not cooperate. I added the HDF first, as bootable and on channel ide 0; I named it explicitly DH0.

Then I added the SD card; it is loaded as RDB and everything seems fine; it is also attached to IDE but with the ID 1. I cannot change the settings for neither the boot flag nor for its explicit mountpoint.

When the emulator boot up; instead of loading the OS from the HDF file it load the one on the SD card; and I can see DH0 and DH0_0. So I formatted the workbench volume on the SD card, but that didn't solve the issue: now it still boot from the SD card instead of the HDF file, but since there is no workbench I get the 1> prompt.

What am I doing wrong? In the past I would have no issues; but it seems that the latest UAE is behaving quite weird.
Old 03 July 2021, 23:32   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Volume name inside the HDF also DH0 maybe and conflicts?
Old 04 July 2021, 01:10   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
What am I doing wrong? In the past I would have no issues; but it seems that the latest UAE is behaving quite weird.

There's nothing wrong and no, it has nothing to do with UAE version, it's always been like this.

AmigaDOS does not determine the boot device from the mount point as you call it, but from the boot priority of each partition. If the DH0 partition on the SD card has a higher boot priority then your HDF, then AmigsDOS will always boot from it.

For traditional big-floppy HDFs you can set the boot priority in WinUAE.

For partitioned HDFs you need to use HDToolbox as you do for real hard drives or SD cards.
Old 04 July 2021, 03:35   #4
guybrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Volume name inside the HDF also DH0 maybe and conflicts?

So the volume name matter when mounting? I thought that the option to use the name when loading a HDF file would work around that
Old 04 July 2021, 08:48   #5
Saghalie

without a config file it's hard to determine what's going on, but from what I can tell - you have both HD's set as bootable.

Set the one you want to boot from as bootable, the other uncheck it.
Old 04 July 2021, 09:40   #6
guybrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
There's nothing wrong and no, it has nothing to do with UAE version, it's always been like this.

AmigaDOS does not determine the boot device from the mount point as you call it, but from the boot priority of each partition. If the DH0 partition on the SD card has a higher boot priority then your HDF, then AmigsDOS will always boot from it.

For traditional big-floppy HDFs you can set the boot priority in WinUAE.

For partitioned HDFs you need to use HDToolbox as you do for real hard drives or SD cards.

I was under the impression that using MagicWB volume as HDF and my old CF card, I never had such issues.

For some reason I was under the impression that I could change the settings of my SD card, but it seems that I cannot. I can only change some parameters, like the ones related to the drive itself, but no way to modify the boot order and related parameters (like the mountpoint for example)

I guess I need to try to change volume names to start with; and move forward from there; thanks
Old 04 July 2021, 09:41   #7
guybrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saghalie View Post
without a config file it's hard to determine what's going on, but from what I can tell - you have both HD's set as bootable.

Set the one you want to boot from as bootable, the other uncheck it.

Agree, it seems to be the most likely issue here.

Although I cannot uncheck the bootable state on the SD card; when you mount a HDF file you get that option, but not when you load a physical RDB drive; unless I am missing something
Old 04 July 2021, 10:47   #8
Tomislav

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
So the volume name matter when mounting? I thought that the option to use the name when loading a HDF file would work around that
It's from Amiga side with RDB partitioned hdf images. Partition is defined as DH0 (you can change that in hdtoolbox). What you put in WinUAE is ignored. Only that that is hdf like one_big_floppy_disk (without RDB, just bootblock as one partition), then what you write in WinUAE is accepted (DH0 for example).