English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 May 2021, 23:40   #741
no9

Agree with every single opinion here on texture improvement - this rises it up to another league.
Old 02 May 2021, 23:53   #742
DJ METUNE

Hooooo

Wooow those graphics!!! Insanely incredible!!!!! I also love that new stereo positioned audio!! It really gives an amazing connection and presence to it all !!

It leaves no opportunity for any in-game music in that audio mode though. But I've never before played or seen anyone playing DOOM with in-game music, so I guess it's not so necessary anyways. Perhaps cool to have it as an extra option maybe.

Cheers!!

Last edited by DJ METUNE; 02 May 2021 at 23:56. Reason: Too many thoughs
Old 03 May 2021, 00:05   #743
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ METUNE View Post
Wooow those graphics!!! Insanely incredible!!!!! I also love that new stereo positioned audio!! It really gives an amazing connection and presence to it all !!

It leaves no opportunity for any in-game music in that audio mode though. But I've never before played or seen anyone playing DOOM with in-game music, so I guess it's not so necessary anyways. Perhaps cool to have it as an extra option maybe.

Cheers!!
I agree! The stereo sound fx adds so much to a 3D game like this. If you look the menu it can be changed to mono so it should be possible to have music and mono fx if you want. Doom got in-game music.
It does not matter much to me. I will for sure use stereo fx and if I like music I can use a little mixer and play some Pantera tunes from my cell phone together with the stereo fx
Old 03 May 2021, 04:49   #744
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@All : Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo79 View Post
maybe it's the time also for repainting a nicer HUD ? For example this style from the Doom wad "Back to Saturn" is not bad at all :--)
https://i.imgur.com/7ZHTekw.png
Nice! I like this. However I've already gone and revamped/cleaned up the HUD. Didn't went for a complete redesign but it looks decent enough for the demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ METUNE View Post
This setup is just temporary. Most probably the game will also feature in-game music or -at least- some sort of soundscape or ambience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ARA=- View Post
Looks totally amazing!
Is there going to be floor and ceiling textures as well?
That's the idea. And stairs and variable height as well. But KK needs to implement these first (it's planned after the demo). Remains to be seen how these features are gonna affect performance. KK is quite optimistic about this though

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Unusual?
You mean like... AB3D is 2x2, and Dread is 1x2 (or 2x1 )?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
When I compare the pictures it looks like Dread is in higher resolution?
Yup, that's right. Technically the engine still calculates in 2x2 but thanks to this new mode we've managed to double the horizontal resolution and detail, so the result is indeed like 1x2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
Actually, it's a little more complicated than that. The sprites of the player at the front of the screen are 2x2, while the background and objects makes use of vertical stretching at 2x4. Impressive widescreen resolution. Attached below is the images resized to their 1x1 perspective.

AB3D is 4x4 pixels on a 384 x 314 screen (effectively 96 x 157).
Fears is a whopping 6x4 pixels on a 552 x 382 screen and hence the narrow field of view (effectively 92 x 96).

Dread is using more screen space and at twice the detail.
More or less, yes
Here's a more accurate resolution comparison for the 3 games in 1x1:

-Alien Breed 3D: 96x78
-Fears: 92x128 (top HUD part was missing in my previous pic)
-Dread: 320x100

Old 03 May 2021, 12:49   #745
ESC
Bad Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
That's the idea. And stairs and variable height as well. But KK needs to implement these first (it's planned after the demo). Remains to be seen how these features are gonna affect performance. KK is quite optimistic about this though
Well if it impacts performance too much with floor textures I trust an option to turn them off will be implemented. But if KK can get variable heights to work without impacting performance too much on an A500+1MB I would be so amazed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
More or less, yes
Here's a more accurate resolution comparison for the 3 games in 1x1:

-Alien Breed 3D: 96x78
-Fears: 92x128 (top HUD part was missing in my previous pic)
-Dread: 320x100

Yeah, this is what I remember from fears, wow, that explains my nausea when playing that one.

I'm so impressed by what you guys are doing.
Old 03 May 2021, 13:59   #746
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

One of the things that make Fears look bad is that the perspective of the fixed shotgun barrels doesn't match the perspective of scene..
Old 03 May 2021, 19:00   #747
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Thanks a lot, it looks awesome, my hope in the future is that you get the green light from Romero to port in the engine the Doom I/II series !
You mean, green light from Bethesda, that bought Id with every IP and copyright they owned? Tough chance.

Romero no longer has a say in the matter.
In fact, he even uses FreeDoom IWADs on his own deathmatch server.

Quote:
And here's an interesting comparison: Alien Breed 3D vs Dread vs Fears. Notice anything unusual with Dread's resolution though?
That's a best roast ever.

Quote:
Is there going to be floor and ceiling textures as well?
Sorry, not for today.

Quote:
Those numbers are truly 2:1 resolution
Now imagine pixelling entire game with 1:2 pixel aspect ratio.
Because that's exactly what John and Dennis do right now.
Awesome, guys.

Quote:
I'm not optimistic about floor/ceiling texturing. These textures require 2D texture scanning (as opposed to 1D scaling of wall collumns), require tons of CPU power on Amiga, and special setup, that takes 64k of memory for one texture (so the 16-bit addressing does the wrapping).
Completely not worth the effort, and would most likely ruin the gameplay.

I'm positive about floor/ceiling height support, though.
Old 03 May 2021, 21:52   #748
nikosidis

I like the floor as is. Just with shadows from walls. Looks clean and nice
Old 04 May 2021, 09:24   #749
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK/Altair View Post
I'm not optimistic about floor/ceiling texturing. These textures require 2D texture scanning (as opposed to 1D scaling of wall collumns), require tons of CPU power on Amiga, and special setup, that takes 64k of memory for one texture (so the 16-bit addressing does the wrapping).
Completely not worth the effort, and would most likely ruin the gameplay.
Personally, I really like that shadow/light effect you already have, and would definitely choose it over the textures.
However, you might consider it (much, much) later for those people with faster Amiga's (ans it's not small numbers).
If you are worried that someone with A500 might try it, and ruin it's own experience, you can add a code that if game detects A500, to just restart the comp, and maybe (for the punishment) self destruct the game.

Quote:
I'm positive about floor/ceiling height support, though.
Old 04 May 2021, 13:18   #750
Konrad

The game will look great anyway, no matter if floor is textured or not, so I can live without it. But perhaps you can play a little with gradient to give the floor some depth ? Don't know how cpu consuming this would be. Something like the attached pic (although don't know how many "gradient colors" you could use.
Looks strange in the still picture, but saw it often enough in other games. Just took colors from the palette in the screenshot, don't know how flexible you would be in choosing colors, perhaps a more subtle gradient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gradient.png
Views:	271
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	71801  
Old 04 May 2021, 16:31   #751
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Lookup Operation Bodycount.

Everything that game does: don't do that So as an example a brown gradient for the floor: NO!
Old 04 May 2021, 19:15   #752
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
The game will look great anyway, no matter if floor is textured or not, so I can live without it. But perhaps you can play a little with gradient to give the floor some depth ? Don't know how cpu consuming this would be. Something like the attached pic (although don't know how many "gradient colors" you could use.
Looks strange in the still picture, but saw it often enough in other games. Just took colors from the palette in the screenshot, don't know how flexible you would be in choosing colors, perhaps a more subtle gradient.
Performance wise this is not a problem. However with 16 colors only we don't have a single color to spare (and we can't copperise a color that is used by anything else). Also a gradient on the floor can't work well as the game doesn't have dynamic lighting to dim wall colors as you move away from them. And to top it all, this also breaks KK's nice floor light & shadow maps.

Last edited by Tsak; 04 May 2021 at 19:27.
Old 04 May 2021, 21:13   #753
Havie

Looks good to me - I think you should just do what you want as you can end up being overwhelmed by requests! And frankly, we all agree that this looks astounding for an A500.
Old 05 May 2021, 02:18   #754
lmimmfn

Bigtime, keep the scope as is, it looks fantastic!
Old 05 May 2021, 08:21   #755
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Looks good to me - I think you should just do what you want as you can end up being overwhelmed by requests! And frankly, we all agree that this looks astounding for an A500.
Well, for original Amiga FPS game it looks, plays, sounds better than anything done before in my opinion.
I also rather play original Amiga titles on Amiga than anything else. If I see original Doom on Amiga ever again I'm going to puke
Old 05 May 2021, 14:32   #756
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
I also rather play original Amiga titles on Amiga than anything else. If I see original Doom on Amiga ever again I'm going to puke
Good, because I can't imagine myself putting effort into something that doesn't allow any creativity.
The "doom clone" was just a trigger clause that was meant to grab the interest and "it can't be done!" feeling.
But now, we are in for a completely new ride.
Old 05 May 2021, 14:37   #757
kriz

Amazing project, this new gfx really puts this engine to be the best ever done on the Amiga (and similar machines really).... Loving the great professional videos and all being done here... Keep on rocking!!
Old 06 May 2021, 01:26   #758
alpine9000

Every new update continues to (re)blow my mind - the positional sfx and new textures in particular had that extra mind blowing impact on me.
Old 06 May 2021, 11:22   #759
rothers

Quote:
Good, because I can't imagine myself putting effort into something that doesn't allow any creativity.
The "doom clone" was just a trigger clause that was meant to grab the interest and "it can't be done!" feeling.
But now, we are in for a completely new ride.

Do you think there is any more optimisation to be had, or is this the zenith in your opinion, the perfect Amiga raycaster? Or just the start of a new area of Amiga engines/games?
Old 06 May 2021, 17:35   #760
modrobert
old bearded fool

This is beyond impressive, pure innovation using classic hardware. Uncharted territory, "here be dragons" level of excitement.