English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 March 2021, 16:12   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Mechwarrior on the Amiga!

I always wanted to play a 3D Mech game on the Amiga and some time back I managed to get the original Mechwarrior pc game working with PCTask on my 1200. If anybody fancies it, I've just put it in the Zone.

It runs fine on my 1260 50mhz, although I haven't got the mouse working yet. Give it a go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	71342  
Old 19 March 2021, 19:54   #2
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I always wanted to play a 3D Mech game on the Amiga and some time back I managed to get the original Mechwarrior pc game working with PCTask on my 1200. If anybody fancies it, I've just put it in the Zone.

It runs fine on my 1260 50mhz, although I haven't got the mouse working yet. Give it a go.
I hear your pain... Always wanted a proper 3D mech game on miggy and it's so sad we need an 060/50 to play a 286/EGA game, but I can live with that! Thanks for sharing!
Old 19 March 2021, 20:33   #3
redblade
Zone Friend

it seems there is a X68000 Version. It has nice graphics too.

I wonder how the japs coded their 3d games on 68k if they used pre calculated sine tables like the sceners did?
Old 20 March 2021, 17:37   #4
SSJTrunks69

Sounds pretty interesting, I should give this a go on my WinUAE
Old 20 March 2021, 17:56   #5
Valken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post

I would like to try it but I run it off WinUAE! So maybe a portable HDF file setup for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post

I wonder how the japs coded their 3d games on 68k if they used pre calculated sine tables like the sceners did?
I support all porting from the Sharp X68000 to the Amiga, but there would be issues of:
  1. localization (maybe can get away with an Amiga Japanese or Chinese Font) or dissemble, translate, reassemble the text.
  2. the UI from the Human68K which is going to be hard.
  3. and any custom graphics mode or chip access such as special music or even MIDI.

The Sharp X68000 looks WAY better than the PC counterpart though.

Last edited by Valken; 20 March 2021 at 18:05.
Old 21 March 2021, 22:46   #6
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Thanks for sharing!
No problem. Keen to hear how you all get on. :-)
Old 25 March 2021, 04:26   #7
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post

That was really the only way to do it as transcendentals were way too slow on any microprocessor of the day, even if you had an external FPU.

Quote:
localization (maybe can get away with an Amiga Japanese or Chinese Font) or dissemble, translate, reassemble the text.
the UI from the Human68K which is going to be hard.
and any custom graphics mode or chip access such as special music or even MIDI.
I don't know if there's any open-source text rendering solution for JIS on the Amiga, I think they were all closed source, but you could port one.
Human68k is not much of an issue as most software didn't use it for the UI. Human68k was a pretty crap OS with a rudimentary GUI. Somewhere between MS-DOS and early Atari TOS.
Custom chip access is the killer. The X68k's background planes are more numerous and deeper than what the Amiga can do, and it has tilemodes that the Amiga doesn't even have. The sprite engine is similar to AGA in terms of raw pixel data, but spread over many more, smaller sprites. This lets you create far more flexible shapes, or large numbers of independently moving objects. Most action games on the x68k heavily use this.
Music is a fairly solved problem and there are numerous approaches to porting from its built-in YM2151. The single PCM channel on the base x68k is actually far inferior to Paula.

Last edited by AmigaHope; 25 March 2021 at 04:38.
Old 26 March 2021, 17:01   #8
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
I don't know if there's any open-source text rendering solution for JIS on the Amiga, I think they were all closed source, but you could port one.
Human68k is not much of an issue as most software didn't use it for the UI. Human68k was a pretty crap OS with a rudimentary GUI. Somewhere between MS-DOS and early Atari TOS.
Interesting stuff. In terms of if they'd actually produced an Amiga specific version back then, I would have thought (with no actual technical knowledge!) That the game could have run splendidly on a 68000 Amiga, if you'd had somebody like Realtime (Carrier Command) doing the conversion. I'm sure it would have looked and sounded a lot better too.
Old 26 March 2021, 17:33   #9
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
I tried it on an emulator and thought: workbench is light years ahead of it! Any japanese coder that want to port AROS 68k on x68k? Should work decently in RTG mode

Last edited by saimon69; 26 March 2021 at 17:33. Reason: pointed the wrong version of aros:69k is the hentai one :P
Old 27 March 2021, 13:11   #10
Valken

X68000 with full AmigaOS is like a wet dream!