English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 05 March 2021, 15:30   #1
kipper2k

New A600 Cherry MX keyboard (Kit Form)

Hi All, here is something that i have been sitting on for a long time and i think its time to be pursued...

If you cant see above pic then go here...

https://imgur.com/gallery/iLIQsLP

also...

It is based on the a500/a1200 MX board but there is a big difference. I want this to be sold as a kit so there is no delays in getting your purchase.

The Kit should comprise of the PCB, PCB backplate connecting cable, Cherry MX switches, Amiga keycaps and stabilizer springs etc.

The board will not be USB compatible as the physical size prevents the necessary circuitry to be added (unless i created a small daughter board as a plug in.

The Keyboard is slightly different to the original A600 as the spacebar is the same size as the a1200 and the Alt and Amiga keys are slightly smaller than the a1200 keycaps. The reason for this is so existing moulds can be used from the A1200 keycap set If i went with original sizes then new moulds would need to be created and the price would obviously increase.

The keyboard will have a small circuit on it so you can use keyboard hot keys to select items through your Gotek.

The keyboard will also come with the 3 LED board for power etc. I want to have this released on a wide scale and made available to resellers worldwide so there is options available for the endusers.

Pricing, it will not be expensive as the parts exist already in this format so it should not be too bad and i think affordable by all.

I will pursue this based on interest from people, if i cannot garner enough support then it will not come to market. The reason for kit form is to ensure that there is no massive delays in getting your order.

Tell me your thoughts and lets keep it constructive. Time to get this to fruition if i continue is about 6 months

Last edited by kipper2k; 05 March 2021 at 17:52.
Old 05 March 2021, 16:01   #2
wiz12

Looks great kipper2k. The F key looks a bit misaligned in the picture though, will the final keycaps be fixed? also why is there a black esc key on the upper right and what type of Cherry MX switches are used?
Old 05 March 2021, 16:06   #3
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Looks great kipper2k. The F key looks a bit misaligned in the picture though, will the final keycaps be fixed? also why is there a black esc key on the upper right and what type of Cherry MX switches are used?
The Esc key needs to be replaced, I never soldered the switches so it may be a little crooked, you can use any 3 pin Cherry MX (or ebay knockoff switches).

If i replace the spacebar and Alt/Amiga keys with same size as original a600 keycaps then there will be an increased cost, is that what people would want ? I will put it in a case to show, it fits perfect

Last edited by kipper2k; 05 March 2021 at 16:12.
Old 05 March 2021, 16:12   #4
obitus1990

I'm definitely interested, ESPECIALLY since it's a kit. Builds like these are simple and instructive to those who are in the retro hobby and want to learn to solder, IMO. Any chance of the 1200 version being offered as a kit?
Old 05 March 2021, 16:16   #5
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_m View Post
I'm definitely interested, ESPECIALLY since it's a kit. Builds like these are simple and instructive to those who are in the retro hobby and want to learn to solder, IMO. Any chance of the 1200 version being offered as a kit?
The A1200 as a kit is out of my hands, I can sell the PCB etc but not the keycaps. i am hoping they will be made public once the builds are completed. The issue with the kit on the a1200 is the CPLD that needs to be soldered on the PCB, it is not really good for most hobbyists. The A600 would be fine
Old 05 March 2021, 16:23   #6
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
The Esc key needs to be replaced, I never soldered the switches so it may be a little crooked, you can use any 3 pin Cherry MX (or ebay knockoff switches).

If i replace the spacebar and Alt/Amiga keys with same size as original a600 keycaps then there will be an increased cost, is that what people would want ? I will put it in a case to show, it fits perfect

In my case I wouldn't mind paying extra to have the original size A600 keycaps but I guess it depends how much extra the increased price would be as not everyone would be willing to pay.

Do you plan on having any European resellers sell this kit?
Old 05 March 2021, 16:31   #7
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
In my case I wouldn't mind paying extra to have the original size A600 keycaps but I guess it depends how much extra the increased price would be as not everyone would be willing to pay.

Do you plan on having any European resellers sell this kit?
I want it to be available to resellers everywhere if they are interested, and i would use some leverage to try and see this happen. I would keep control of the PCB as such so it can be made available, the keycaps are the only thing not owned by me as such. There are a few keycaps in the set that are custom made and the costs were covered by AOTL so technically they have control of the custom keycaps
Old 06 March 2021, 06:43   #8
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
New A600 Cherry MX keyboard (Kit Form)

Very interested but like any other projects, the capacity to have local layouts (for me French AZERTY) will be determining.
I get kinda mechanical keyboard’s feeling by replacing the springs by rubber cups taken from vintage PC keyboards and for now I’m happy with them.
But due to the longevity of a real mechanical keyboard I’ll be all in!
I’m working to renovate about 12x A600 although this is not a product for all of them, for sure...
Old 06 March 2021, 17:17   #9
Lemaru

If the price is right then I'd definitely be interested in one or two. Maybe even 3 if I decide against re-housing one of my machines.

Would there be an option for other keyboard layouts? Particularly UK? (Having the #, @ and " keys all swapped round isn't ideal).

Would be nice to have an option for just the board, keycaps, cable and springs, so that we can provide or own switch's. As there's many out there and may people have a preference on what colour/make etc they prefer. Would also cut the price a bit
Old 06 March 2021, 22:27   #10
aeberbach

As I made my own mechanical keyboards I would not want to buy any but if you are doing a kit with keycaps for under $200 it should be a huge success. Keycaps are the very hard part. Switches are very much personal preference so I hope you have an option to get the kit without switches and supply your own.
Old 07 March 2021, 13:25   #11
freon

Yes. I am interested for few units.

Is it possible to have it in Nordic layout?

I would love to have nordic keycaps addition in my A500 keybord if you ever ship it.
Old 08 March 2021, 10:00   #12
madmungo

I would be up for a couple sets of the keycaps if they are sold separately.
Old 08 March 2021, 10:26   #13
robinsonb5

I'm potentially interested too - would love to know more about exactly what's on offer, though - are we talking US layout only, or international variants available. As others have said, switch choice is very personal - not just which of the Cherry MX offerings, but which of the myriad compatible switches could be used - so again, if you're supplying those, which type are you planning to supply, or would you consider selling a version without the switches so we can supply our own?

(Flexibilty is the big problem with keyboard projects - I've seen many, many custom keyboards that have made me say "I like that - darn - ANSI only"!)
Old 08 March 2021, 13:19   #14
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
"I like that - darn - ANSI only"
I resemble this remark so much. ANSI with a keyboard layout that needs the extra key just sucks so much. Not to mention writing your native language with one of the "us international" layout variants. There's no winning there. :-)

Thankfully the pictures we saw here are ISO layout.
Old 08 March 2021, 13:31   #15
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Thankfully the pictures we saw here are ISO layout.

Indeed - which puts this project way ahead of 90% of keyboard projects, even if the keycap legends end up being "wrong" for a particular region!
Old 08 March 2021, 14:33   #16
kipper2k

There are so many different country layouts and it would be expensive to try to do all. I am thinking UK, US and German layout keys.and making the 1 set fit all so to speak... It is possible that the keys i am wanting to be done may be very similar to other manufacturers design and some custom keys may be replaced.

ATM i do not want to think about using different size shift/Alt keys etc as i know they would have to be a custom size and therefore moulds created, so for the time being i will continue with this layout and see what the base price will be. I have priced out my pcb/plate and they are not expensive. (the shipping costs are the annoying part due to the weight.
Old 08 March 2021, 16:39   #17
freon

Just happened to have three different layout A600's around, so here is layout of all four in one picture. Same amount of buttons, and same size, just few different functions. Is it really so expensive to make few extra keycaps?

Old 08 March 2021, 17:39   #18
katarakt

Oh great, german layout...i think there will be a higher demand for this
Old 09 March 2021, 06:01   #19
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by freon View Post
Just happened to have three different layout A600's around, so here is layout of all four in one picture. Same amount of buttons, and same size, just few different functions. Is it really so expensive to make few extra keycaps?
A slightly modified german layout would probably suffice for most se/fi users.

De does not have the usa keymap legends that are overlayed in se/fi. If you disregard those, se/fi is quite close to DE and even fewer fi/se specific caps have to be printed. :-)

That's five different keys: 3 ?+ å ^” *' and of course y/z is the same as usa. :-)
Old 09 March 2021, 08:38   #20
Heywood

Hey Kipper I am interested in this as well.