English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 June 2022, 20:21   #1
bernd roesch

long filenames not work with hardfiles

Hello

Can this in winuae fix or need i use other filesystem. i use golded with long filenames enabled. it bring no error message and there is no file create om hardfile

i want remove the developer warning requester at start in YAM. I see in snoopdos there is a get Var I_KNOW_YAM_IS_UNDER_DEVELOPMENT check. I create a folder YAM and file in envarc:YAM/I_KNOW_YAM_IS_UNDER_DEVELOPMENT

I use winuae hardfile very old. with this long filename I_KNOW_YAM_IS_UNDER_DEVELOPMENT

to save. it does not create a file. it also not work when i use directory filesysten. have somebody get it working with such long filenames ?
Old 02 June 2022, 08:41   #2
thomas

Your main issue is Ram-Handler which cannot store variables with such long names in ENV.

You could assign ENV: to a partition with long file name support or update Ram-Hander to 3.9 or 3.2.
Old 02 June 2022, 11:54   #3
bernd roesch

I check to write I_KNOW_YAM_IS_UNDER_DEVELOPMENT file in golded to dh0: hardfile partition does not work.

the longest file that work is I_KNOW_YAM_IS_UNDER_DEVELOPME

I use c:env-handler
seem not easy to solve then. so i change with fileeditor the hex value on letter M to hex code 0 in YAM binary then it is I_KNOW_YAM_IS_UNDER_DEVELOP then it work ok.

Last edited by bernd roesch; 02 June 2022 at 13:57.
Old 02 June 2022, 14:19   #4
daxb

For OS >= 3.0 you can also try http://aminet.net/package/util/sys/AmberRAM I'm using it under OS3.1 and it works.
Old 02 June 2022, 17:19   #5
AmiClassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernd roesch View Post
...I check to write I_KNOW_YAM_IS_UNDER_DEVELOPMENT file in golded to dh0: hardfile partition does not work.

the longest file that work is I_KNOW_YAM_IS_UNDER_DEVELOPME
Maybe try to use thomas program: WBNameLength
Example:
Old 02 June 2022, 18:26   #6
Velociraptor5

@bernd roesch

Probably my note is outdated, because I was writing it about noon and moreover you have here more advisors.
So, shortly my opinion

You forgot to say the main thing, what system you use. It depends, what WB version you use. Until WB 3.1, It's impossible, what you want (in a standard way). There is system restriction 25 characters (extension exluded). If you use other file system like for an example SFS, you can display more than 25 characters, so there is no problem here (limit is max 97 or 102 or 109, i already don't remember exactly, but that's not important)... but there is still the same problem later, because there is no possibility how to save this file. The saving doesn't work with files longer than 25 characters. For an example you are not able to save data "window size" or "window position" to folder icon, if the name is longer than 25 characters.
Absolutely the same case is also another file system PFS. You can also display more than 25 characters, but again, the saving doesn't work with files longer than 25 characters.
Before time I lost lot of time with this problem, but in the end I adapted to 25 character limit, because it's better than making up nonsense.
I have heard somewhere in EAB, that "standard work" with filenames longer than 25 characters is possible in latest OS3.2 (or maybe OS3.5 or OS3.9), but I can't confirm it, because I am not interested in "new special systems" designed for dead platforms.
As I say, when nostalgia, so only with software from those times...
Old 02 June 2022, 19:12   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't think this has anything to do with WinUAE. It can't "fix" AmigaOS side limits.
Old 02 June 2022, 19:46   #8
Thomas Richter

Err, confusion.... How long a file name can be is a matter of the file system, mostly. Under Os 3.1.4 and above, the RAM-Handler and the ROM file system clearly allow longer names, below not.

Thus, not related to WinUAE at all, and related to the Os version. Thus, if you want longer file names in RAM, upgrade the Os.
Old 03 June 2022, 00:55   #9
Velociraptor5

@bernd roesch
@Thomas Richter

one note yet...
there is simple test, if the longer file names work in your system.... Try to create a new drawer and give it a name longer than 25 characters...
and now my experiences, if I remember correctly...

WB 3.0/3.1

Usual Fast File System FFS
-----------------------------
If your file name is longer than 25 characters... The drawer is created, but the file name is automatically cropped to 25 characters.

Smart file system SFS / Profesional File system PFS
---------------------------------------------------
If your file name is longer than 25 characters... The drawer is created and file name is complete.
As I wrote in last post, these 2 systems support file names longer than 25 characters, there is limit around 100 characters for the file names (I already don't remember exactly).

!!!!But....
It's nice, we can create longer file names, but also as I wrote in last post, unfortunately, the saving doesn't work with files longer than 25 characters in WB 3.0/3.1. For an example again, you are not able to save data "window size" or "window position" to folder icon, if the name is longer than 25 characters.
That means only one thing, file names longer than 25 characters are unusable in WB 3.0/3.1 with any file system.

My opinion... probably the programmers in the date of the WB3.1 launch didn't take into account, that sometime in a later future some SFS system will be created... That's why it works as it works....

I really don't know how your OS 3.1.4 or latest 3.2 works, but in my opinion, on 99,9% you should use SFS or PFS file system on your hard drive, the first step to make the file names longer than 25 characters working "correctly"...

Last edited by Velociraptor5; 03 June 2022 at 01:57.
Old 03 June 2022, 09:23   #10
thomas

@Velociraptor5 you are still confusing components.

The 25 character limit is in Workbench. The file system limit is 30 characters.

The 25 character limit is there for safety. Because if you save a file with 30 characters or more and then create an icon for it, the file system will cut the file names after 30 characters. This means .info is gone and the file names are equal so that the icon overwrites the original file. That's something you want to avoid by all means.

For drawers it's less dangerous because you cannot overwrite an existing drawer with a file of the same name. But as you recognised, the icon cannot be saved if the drawer has a name with more than 25 characters. Just because 26 or more characters plus .info does not fit in 30 characters.
Old 03 June 2022, 15:34   #11
Velociraptor5

@thomas

Of course, when I am speaking about 25 characters, so I mean 25+5 for extension, that's clear to everyone.
You still explain how it works, or maybe better to say how it doesn't work in standard workbenches. Sorry, but in my opinion, you are out of discussion, but mainly, it is absolutely irrelevant, what you are speaking about.
The discussion is not about 25 characters or 30 characters or 25characters+5 extension.

Bernd roesch wanted to know, if it is possible to display somehow longer file names (than 25 characters...)

I say of course, it is possible

in WB3.0/3.1
with SFS or PFS file system you can display almost all what you want. Drawer name can be... for an example 60 characters long if you want and also files (+extension if you want). No name is ever cropped, you can work with files and drawes without fear. There is no problem here. But, the only one problem (but quite important) is the saving and this saving doesn't crop any name (it can be any length up to SFS or PFS limit). The saving is just... out of order. That means this solution works halfway only.

But as I heard somewhere, WB3.2 supports already this (maybe). That's why, I gave him an advice, if you want fully working file names longer than 25 characters (that means you can create, display them and the saving works), so on first place use SFS or PFS file system and if this latest WB is really missing character restriction, so you are the winner and you have fully working support for file names longer than 25 characters.
That's all
Old 03 June 2022, 17:34   #12
Velociraptor5

maybe important to say...
the problem was mainly about icons at me as I wrote above. When I was using file names longer than 25 characters before long time, so the icon problem was soluable. When I wanted to change window position or size, so I had to change the name of drawer under 25 characters (or exactly 25), then I did wanted changes with window, then I saved window and then I changed the name of drawer back to original, for an example 35 characters...
Quite difficult and uncomfortable... Although working
But as I wrote above, in the end I adapted to 25 character limit, because It's WB standard and because it's better than making up nonsense.