English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 September 2006, 02:42   #1
Ze_ro

Unresponsive Mouse Buttons?

I have several old Amiga 500 mice that work fine, except that the buttons are getting very unreliable... sometimes they work fine, other times, you have to almost sit on them before it'll register a click. It's especially frustrating holding down both buttons in order to switch my CD32 into PAL mode... What's the best way to go about cleaning these out? I opened up the mouse, but it doesn't seem like I can really get at anything. Should I just spray some WD-40 into them, or what?
Old 27 September 2006, 09:03   #2
Secret Vampire

The best solution is to get some new switches and break out the soldering iron, or, since the left buttons tend to go first, swap the right switch out of one mouse in place of the left switch from another.
Whoever built the mice for commodore (Mitsumi?) didn't use Microswitches, so they're already more prone to failure than most PC mice. A 3rd party mouse is also worth considering, I've had Golden Image, Naksha, and Logic 3, all of which are better and more comfortable mice than the standard A500 one.
Old 27 September 2006, 12:16   #3
DC33
Zone Friend

Just a thought....

As it is possible to mod certain disk drives to work with the Amiga 880k format, is it possible to mod a PC mouse to work on an Amiga ??? Is it as simple as re-wiring te connector ?

I would welcome your feedback...
Old 27 September 2006, 14:21   #4
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Vampire
The best solution is to get some new switches and break out the soldering iron, or, since the left buttons tend to go first, swap the right switch out of one mouse in place of the left switch from another.
Whoever built the mice for commodore (Mitsumi?) didn't use Microswitches, so they're already more prone to failure than most PC mice. A 3rd party mouse is also worth considering, I've had Golden Image, Naksha, and Logic 3, all of which are better and more comfortable mice than the standard A500 one.
I used to repair plenty of these a500 mice, I would source the pop-switches from anywhere I could, new or from dead equipment that didnt have mush use. Back along my parents gave me a dead stereo that had hundreds of these switches, because the whole thing could be controlled from a remote all the buttons on the hifi were still as new. The only thing I had to do was shave a small amount of plastic off the tops of each switch so they would fit in the a500 mouse perfectly
Old 27 September 2006, 14:43   #5
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Bah you dont need a mouse learn the Keyboard shortcuts !!!
Old 27 September 2006, 18:17   #6
Jope
-

The Amiga is unfortunately as keyboardable as it should.. :-(