English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 22 February 2022, 16:11   #41
gralco

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
Yeah, it would be fine if they had compression but they don't seem to. Useless for the stuff I am working on like USB (12MHz). I find that even 2x the signal frequency is unreliable, e.g. I have a 24MHz USB LA but it can rarely decode USB packets and most USB peripherals use a 48MHz sample clock.
In the case of the SDS2000X Plus you could still measure those faster clocks with its LA but you'd have to narrow the horizontal window.
Old 22 February 2022, 20:18   #42
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
I find that even 2x the signal frequency is unreliable, e.g. I have a 24MHz USB LA but it can rarely decode USB packets and most USB peripherals use a 48MHz sample clock.
Your sampling rate has to be much higher than whatever you're trying to measure, especially if your LA isn't synchronised with the source clock. A 24MHz sampling rate simply isn't enough to accurately capture a 12MHz signal. An absolute bare minimum would be about 1:4 just to be able to capture each transition, so you really need a minimum of 50MHz sample rate to deal with a 12MHz signal. DSLogic recommend a 1:10 ratio, so 120MHz sampling rate for a 12MHz signal.
Old 23 February 2022, 15:42   #43
zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Your sampling rate has to be much higher than whatever you're trying to measure, especially if your LA isn't synchronised with the source clock. A 24MHz sampling rate simply isn't enough to accurately capture a 12MHz signal. An absolute bare minimum would be about 1:4 just to be able to capture each transition, so you really need a minimum of 50MHz sample rate to deal with a 12MHz signal. DSLogic recommend a 1:10 ratio, so 120MHz sampling rate for a 12MHz signal.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Fortunately the USB protocol decoder in Sigrok is very forgiving and will cope just fine at 50MHz, and can even decode a lot of it at 24MHz.

Another reason why I like USB LAs, the protocol decoding tends to be better and you can always hack it or write your own.