English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 June 2020, 04:49   #1
videofx

A1200 and PCI Mediator

Just got my Elbox Blackbox case with Mediator and ATI Radeon 512k PCI video ca

When using the ATI video card VGA will the 1200 switch modes automatically or do I need to use the 23 pin video out on the 1200 motherboard?

Is there a best practices resolution and video drivers? ie Cybervision vs Picasso96?

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have never used mediator before!

Thanks!
Old 09 June 2020, 07:59   #2
DanyPPC

You have to use a scandoubler and a switcher for the PAL and VGA Card output, if you use a Monitor, or simply use a TV/Monitor with Scart Input and switch through TV commands.

You have to use Picasso with the Radeon installed on a Mediator busboard.
Old 09 June 2020, 10:15   #3
TheMrKocour

Code:
Just got my Elbox Blackbox case with Mediator and ATI Radeon 512k PCI video ca

By Radeon 512K you mean what? Radeon 9200 have 128 or 256 MB RAM. Only supported cards are: S3 Virge, S3 Trio, Voodoo3/Benchee, Radeon 9200.

Code:
When using the ATI video card VGA will the 1200 switch modes automatically or do I need to use the 23 pin video out on the 1200 motherboard?

Mediator will not pass Amiga video. When you launch some game (whdload etc) video will go out from 23 PIN RGB. So you need Ratte Monitor Switch + Scandoubler or display with 15khz support.

Code:
Is there a best practices resolution and video drivers? ie Cybervision vs Picasso96?

Unfortunately Mediator doesnt support CyberGrapX from Phase5, only Picasso96

Code:
Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have never used mediator before!
Best practice https://mediators.github.io/
Old 09 June 2020, 10:19   #4
TheMrKocour

I really recommend you do clean install of 3.1.4 and then add Mediator drivers etc.If you don't fully know how to use workbench you will have hard times. Also what turbocard do you have?If you have 030 you will be disappointed. Mediator is great with 040+ or PPC at the best :-)
Old 09 June 2020, 12:46   #5
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Send a message via MSN to adonay
There is a way to display all on the same screen. Route the Amiga video out into a tv card in the mediator. You Will have to time it to get fullscreen just before a whdload game runs.
Old 09 June 2020, 13:14   #6
Daedalus

Yeah, I had a setup like that, where I had an icon in Amidock onto which you could just drop a WHDLoad slave, and it would open the TV card on the composite channel and then launch the slave. Worked pretty well!
Old 09 June 2020, 13:40   #7
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I had it setup where whdload itself would open SuperTV on composite channel fullscreen and then close once the game is exited via the whdload.prefs scripts as well as toggling MiamiDX Offline/Online.
Old 09 June 2020, 13:57   #8
crazyc

I have a somewhat long winded setup where I have a monitor that natively accepts the amiga signal over vga. I therefore have the amiga rgb and the output from my voodoo card both going into a ratte switch that automatically chooses the input and then outputs over vga to the monitor.
Old 09 June 2020, 13:59   #9
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I still use an LCD TV with RGB Scart, it's only a minor annoyance to have to change the channel. Another solution if you use a Radeon is a Monitor with DVI/VGA which is auto switching, unless your Monitor supports 15khz you'll need a scan doubler but it's a nice solution.

The other thing is I rarely use non RTG modes on my A1200T, most of the software I run on the setup is RTG, for WHDLoad and such I use other machines like my CD32/TF330.
Old 09 June 2020, 14:46   #10
videofx

Wow such great help!

I have a Sony Multisync I use sometimes, but most of the time I use my OSSC with SCART and my LCD.

If I use RTG will Apps work at RTG so I can do like fitzsteve suggested and use my 1200 for RTG and my CD32/TF330 for WHDLOAD?

Also is it worth buying Amigakits Picasso96 new version or can I use the aminet version?

Also my accelerator is 030/55mhz 128mb ram.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09 June 2020, 15:07   #11
videofx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrKocour View Post
I really recommend you do clean install of 3.1.4 and then add Mediator drivers etc.If you don't fully know how to use workbench you will have hard times. Also what turbocard do you have?If you have 030 you will be disappointed. Mediator is great with 040+ or PPC at the best :-)
I can do clean install of 3.1.4

I have ACA1233n-55 for my accelerator
Old 09 June 2020, 15:07   #12
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I'm using the Picasso 96, 2.1b is that the current Aminet release? Works all fine for me so not seen a reason to buy the new version.

There's not a massive amount of RTG software that runs on an 030 well so it would be useful to have a solution that you can still use the Native output.

If eventually you can get an 060/PPC you'll get a little more out of it. That said I enjoyed my A1200T with an 030 and 040 before upgrading. Some software I recommend to you:

Shapeshifter (Mac Emulatior) RTG massively transforms this into a really useful emulatior for playing Mac Games like Theme Park and Sim City 2000 that look way better than the Amiga AGA versions.

ASP. Spectrum emulator that has RTG and AHI support, love this on my RTG setups

Genetic Species. FPS, supports RTG

ADoom. Fully supports RTG, make sure you adjust the tool types, I recommend running 320x240

If I think of others I'll add them

Last edited by fitzsteve; 09 June 2020 at 15:13.
Old 09 June 2020, 15:26   #13
trixster
Guru Meditating

If you have an Ossc then just feed Amiga 23 pin video out into that, have that output the scandoubled picture into a vga switch box (through an hdmi to vga adapter), feed the vga Out from the Radeon Into the switch box, and then just manually toggle between rtg/Ossc when you run a game.

A ratte switch is a great way to do this switching automatically but it requires a scandoubler such as an Indivision AGA or a cleverly adapted input cable (not seen this done)
Old 09 June 2020, 15:29   #14
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

^^^^

Seems like a sensible solution
Old 09 June 2020, 15:44   #15
videofx

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
If you have an Ossc then just feed Amiga 23 pin video out into that, have that output the scandoubled picture into a vga switch box (through an hdmi to vga adapter), feed the vga Out from the Radeon Into the switch box, and then just manually toggle between rtg/Ossc when you run a game.

A ratte switch is a great way to do this switching automatically but it requires a scandoubler such as an Indivision AGA or a cleverly adapted input cable (not seen this done)
Thanks! I will connect VGA and SCART to the OSSC.

I have WHDLOAD and 3.14 working.

Do I have to redo it for the mediator or just in stall drivers and picasso96?
Old 09 June 2020, 16:10   #16
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I think trickster is suggesting use a VGA switch box, you'll have to see if the OSSC likes the Redeon input, I know a friend had issues with cyber vision through his OSSC.

You are correct you install the mediator drivers and picasso 96, then create edit the monitor file and create some screen modes, follow one of the guides on here or Amibay if you get stuck, it's a bit tricky the first time.
Old 09 June 2020, 16:49   #17
videofx

Don't need VGA switch box. Connect 23 pin video out to SCART on OSSC and then VGA from Radeon to OSSC and just switch inputs on the OSSC
Old 09 June 2020, 16:50   #18
trixster
Guru Meditating

VGA output from Radeon goes into port 1 of a VGA switchbox
Amiga 23pin to scart cable goes into scart input on OSSC. OSSC hdmi output goes into an HDMI to VGA convertor and then that VGA cable goes into port 2 of VGA switchbox

VGA switchbox output then goes into monitor.

When Amiga plays a game, use swtichbox 1 button
When Amiga is outputting RTG, use switchbox 2 button

The ossc will probably not like the output of a Radeon's 800x600 31khz or whatever signal!

So in summary - the OSSC handles the 15khz NTSC/PAL signal from the amiga (which is what all games use). The switchbox just allows you to toggle between RTG and Amiga videomodes.

What I'm describing is precisely the setup I used with my AA3000+ before I wired up it's internal Ratte Switch.
Old 09 June 2020, 20:06   #19
videofx

I have the Radeon 9250 with 256mb. My accelerator has 128mb. Should I even bother to use any of the 256mb from the Radeon?
Old 09 June 2020, 20:19   #20
trixster
Guru Meditating

No, as zorro3 ram provided by the Radeon is even slower than motherboard ram which in itself is about a quarter of the speed of the accelerator ram