English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 April 2003, 21:23   #1
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Smile Old tv computer shows!

Hey guys! I decided to go thru all our old video tapes to see what could be re-used etc!

found loads of old stuff from the 90's... one tape contains a tv show i recorded off ITV! a show called Bad Influence!

it wasnt a brilliant show but alot better than whats was on at the time... it had a few amiga's on it! mainly the CD32 when it first came out along with the philips cdi and atari jag!
It also had ... Peecee's in it that were 386's lol! cutting edge at the time one machine had the first of the realmagic mpeg cards playing dragons lair

looking at pc's from that time they look so old lol! one episode featured a computer art special involving digital stuff and they made a poster for the new vuaxhall corsa! looking at the corsa you kinda realise how far computers have changed in a few short years!
ive been trying to find old ads for amigas and ataris! found some but they were the very early ones.. i want them from 1990 onwards!

Im also trying to remember if there were any other tv shows... i think there was one called gamesmaster? i sure i had an old tape of that but i cant find it!

*anyone have stuff on old tapes? might be good to get this stuff saved out as avi's!
Old 19 April 2003, 22:50   #2
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Bad Influence - that didnt have Andy bloody Crain and some punk haired dippy blonde beside him?
Old 19 April 2003, 23:08   #3
Djay
95th User

miss berlin..

remember when dexter fletcher took over from domink diamond, man, did gamesmaster go completely downhill at that stage
Old 19 April 2003, 23:13   #4
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Anyone remember 'micro live' from the early-mid 80's ?

It was the first time I saw an Amiga A1000, and when Fred Harris played 4 notes on the keyboard from a cream riff with a really heavy guitar sample - well I nearly had to change my underwear

iirc he also pointed out the new-fangled input device called a mouse, and the funny 3½" floppy disks it used and the huge 4096 colours

I was hooked, I bought one, I'm afraid it's deleveloped into a 15 hour+ a day habit. I'm just glad there arn't any Amiga De-Tox centres
Old 19 April 2003, 23:22   #5
ElectroBlaster

Any of you guys remeber a video magazine that was sold on vhs tape? it was stuck to a bit of card... was around £1.50 i think?

i cant remember the bloody name lol!

anywayz! im thinking about recording some of that old stuff and compressing it with divx to keep the file size down.

only problem im gonna have is i havent got any decent webspace

Last edited by ElectroBlaster; 19 April 2003 at 23:42.
Old 20 April 2003, 03:57   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I read about Bad Influence and Gamesmaster in The One. Dominik Diamond was mentioned a lot of times in The One. When they had the Sensible Soccer Fantasy League compo, he was one of the players.

I was always curious to know what his show was all about.
Old 21 April 2003, 04:55   #7
ElectroBlaster

Gamesmaster wasnt too bad! people from the audience would play head to head on a game!

one of the episodes i taped had Robocod running on an a1200 and they played the first level! also that guy who does a space program called "The Sky At night" helped out people who were stuck on games! what the hell is his name??? lol i cannot remember!

I also seem to remember that both Bad Influence and the Gamesmaster titles and credits were done on amiga's!

what happend to shows like this? i havent seen anything since except some cruddy thing called Cybernet!
Old 21 April 2003, 05:06   #8
Djay
95th User

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/s...ickmoore.shtml

you can order videos here..
http://www.jackmtempleton.supanet.com/

i thank you

p.s. did anyone else think that Dave Perry was a prick?
Old 21 April 2003, 05:21   #9
ElectroBlaster

Thanx for those links
Old 21 April 2003, 14:50   #10
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Thumbs up Games Master Ruled!

It was much better than Bad Influence. Here is a clip with an Amiga 500 and the Amos programming language. You have to write an Amiga game to win the competition. The closing date has now passed unfortunately. I wonder what the game was that won? Did it ever get released commercially?

http://www.jrtempleton.supanet.com/s2_reviews.rm
Old 21 April 2003, 14:54   #11
Calen

The latest Gamesmaster magazine (shite that it is) is giving away the last ever Gamesmaster episode on its DVD, not bad for a few quid i guess.
Old 21 April 2003, 15:00   #12
manicx

Well, one of the best shows I 've seen was the 1990's Computer Show in the ET 1 (That the Greek BBC1 for Brits) channel. That was a hell of a program. Reviews, previews, hardware reviews, live game competitions of Kick Off 2 and Lotus, interviews with computer artists, musicians etc... I do have most of the episodes videotaped but when I checked them 2-3 weeks ago, the picture was crap... VHS sucks!!!!
Old 21 April 2003, 17:49   #13
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroBlaster
Any of you guys remeber a video magazine that was sold on vhs tape? it was stuck to a bit of card... was around £1.50 i think?

i cant remember the bloody name lol!

Are you talking about Click? It was kind of set in an office right?

As for games shows in general, I think they suck BIG TIME!
I always watch them all because they are about my No1 hobby but they seriously make me cringe and make me embarrassed to be counted among these total muppets! They always try to be funny and fail spectacularly, have minimal actual games footage and are always hosted by complete biffs!

Did anyone see the first games awards ceremony on ITV (UK) on the 20.4.03? It was called Game stars. I had high hopes for this but once again it turned out to be crap. They attempted to find the UKs best gamer by pitting the best gamers from certain citys against each other in random challenges. When the last 2 gamers remained, how did they decide which was the better?
ONE ROUND OF TEKKEN!!!! Whay kind of test is that?

The only games progs I think have been reasonably good are:

Cybernet - no dickhead presenters failing to be funny, just games
Gamepad - Violet Berlin presenting with loadsa games clips (hooray) currently on Bravo channel (I think)
Old 21 April 2003, 18:01   #14
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Did anyone see the first games awards ceremony on ITV (UK) on the 20.4.03? It was called Game stars. I had high hopes for this but once again it turned out to be crap. They attempted to find the UKs best gamer by pitting the best gamers from certain citys against each other in random challenges. When the last 2 gamers remained, how did they decide which was the better?
ONE ROUND OF TEKKEN!!!! Whay kind of test is that?
Yes I saw that program yesterday afternoon. Yes it was crap. Especially the annoying git of a presenter whatever his name was. Burnout 2 best driving game?? WTF! Where was Gran Turismo 3? The best gamer compo was well lame. Not bad prizes though. The only highlight in the entire show was Johnny Vegas. He's a right laugh.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Gamepad - Violet Berlin presenting with loadsa games clips (hooray) currently on Bravo channel (I think)
Hmmm. Violet Berlin has definitely got a lot, erm, bigger since Bad Influence.
Old 21 April 2003, 19:28   #15
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Hmmm. Violet Berlin has definitely got a lot, erm, bigger since Bad Influence.
Yeah I noticed that myself.......been noticing ever since
Old 21 April 2003, 21:15   #16
ElectroBlaster

I havent seen Violet since the old stuff? you say she's got bigger? in all the right places i hope

@Dastardly!

yeh thats the one... but i cannot remember what it was like lol!

@Calen

The latest gamesmater mag you say what piccy is on the cover? im going to get it just for the dvd episode!

as for computer shows of today! they just dont seem to hold that old magic from the old days
When it was Amiga Vs Atari... then it started going down hill and watching and hoping for a scrap of amiga info amongst the console stuff!

@manicx

VHS does suck! BIG TIME! all those years ago when i taped stuff i thought i had all the time in the world but i was so wrong
the tapes are really showing there age!
Old 22 April 2003, 08:38   #17
manicx

You are right. You see, back then I was working for a TV station and was using cool video recorders to tape stuff. I did think that I had history in video tapes, but as I said I realised that this wonderful computer show only shows in Black and White with shite sound. Time to buy a Pinnacle srudio card and start cinverting everything into DVDs...
Old 18 May 2003, 21:13   #18
andyr

Anyone remember Games World on Sky one?

I used to love watching this while eating my tea after school. It was 5 days a week with Monday, Wednesdays and Friday dedicated to a games competition between 5(?) people using various systems (Snes, Megadrive etc...) with the decider being the axe throwing bit from the Amiga game heimdall.

Tuesday's featured big boy barry and Leslie basically reviewing games, hardware and with features as well and thursdays had a more serious kind of programme (can't remember what!)

Fridays always features the videators with the 2 contestants who won the Monday and Wednesday editions battling it out with them.

Extremely low budget, made by the same people who made gamesmaster, this was arguably the best of it's kind of programme around in the early(ish) 90's.

As a matter of interest, did anyone ever record and read the data-burst thing at the end of each bad influence?

Also, Violet Berlin is hosting the programme Gamepad on Bravo at the moment (various days/times) - she's even bigger now (cough!) and it's actually quite a decent little programme considering the (lack of) budget. No crap, just straight to the point reviews and features.
Old 22 October 2004, 14:13   #19
tokalash

Sweden had the Bit För Bit ("Bit By Bit") show broadcast in 89/90. I think they even ran a demo compo, but i ain't sure about that. However, they showed RSI Megademo and some short Subway screen (from Rebels Megademo?). You could use your phone and play California Games (the BMX stage) to win prizes. They also showed some technical stuff about computers. I don't recall any game reviews but I guess they must have been there. Maybe some other Swede(s) remember this show?
Old 22 October 2004, 19:53   #20
plasmatron
Zone Friend

On german TV we had a show called "COMPUTER ZEIT".
In the mid 80`s there was also a show named "COMPUTER CORNER" with a female moderator named Birgit Lechtermann. This is nearly 20 years ago now.