English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 08 August 2019, 10:25   #1
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Mortal Kombat 3 for Amiga

I remember the announcements that this was in the works. And then that it was finished, but Acclaim decided not to publish it due to the crumbling Amiga market.

Apart from these rumors, does anyone have a light to shine on the subject?
Old 08 August 2019, 11:01   #2
Zener

I think it never happened: https://www.ppa.pl/gry/interview-wit...auntlet-2.html

But on youtube I've seen someone trying to develop it
Old 08 August 2019, 14:08   #3
Amigajay

Wow 125,000 copies of MK2 sold 6 months after Commodore went bust, just shows the market was still there if companies took risks getting big names.
Plus PR only selling 9K is more down to the original game being cack anyway, i’m sure a MK3 would have sold more than 9K even in 1995.

Not sure about his comments about the A1200 not being available in 1993 when MK came out, if it took 9-10 months and it came out Nov 93 it would have been started Jan/Feb 1993 - 4-5 months after the A1200 came out, so i don’t buy that was the reason, more likely the sales were with the A500 and why support another format with more development time pure and simple.

Last edited by Amigajay; 08 August 2019 at 14:14.
Old 08 August 2019, 18:30   #4
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

That interview is really curious, as he gives some info that's clearly wrong. Smoke is in Amiga MK2 as all the other secret characters, Shang Tsung's Kintaro Fatality is there too.

MK3 wouldn't work on Amiga because one simple problem: the 1 button controller. I really can't see how you could adapt the controllers of MK3 (which uses 6 buttons and lots of combinations for combos) to work with Amiga controllers.
Old 08 August 2019, 21:31   #5
daxb

You know that 6 button controllers for Amiga exists for a very long time now? I just bought (in the '90) a honeybee for Worms DC.
Old 08 August 2019, 23:35   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

MK & MK2 used 1 or 2 buttons and attacks were adapted. The problem in MK3 would be more memory & graphics than buttons. At least AGA would be required.
Old 09 August 2019, 18:00   #7
pipper

The MK3 source leaked some time ago...
Old 09 August 2019, 18:13   #8
daxb

That doesn't matter, because we have no 6 button controller, not enough memory, no hard disk, to slow CPU, maybe no AGA, no cheese and cake, and so on. :P
Old 09 August 2019, 18:51   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
That doesn't matter, because we have no 6 button controller, not enough memory, no hard disk, to slow CPU, maybe no AGA, no cheese and cake, and so on. :P
Spot on And you forgot the most important: We don't have a coder (or team) who will do it. It's all unuseful-but-fun thinking

I really think it's easier to cope with less memory, less colors and less animation than the lack of buttons.

It's just that... adapt the graphics, remove frames of animation, reduce colors and stuff will (probably) fit.

The problem with MK3 is that it has buttons for specific different stuff. You have a button for block, one for run and 4 for attacks. I can't figure out a way to make this work with the standard Amiga controller.

Of course you can say "oh you can use a CD32 controller". I don't own one. None of the (few) people I knew who had an amiga back at the day here owned one. How many amiga games were released that required one?

You could always use the keyboard also but, nah, that's now how Amiga games were made back at the day.
Old 09 August 2019, 20:26   #10
daxb

This: http://www.haku.co.uk/pics/AmigaCD32Joypads.jpg

You can use several controllers from different consoles for Amiga. Of course, if you don't want to buy and/or build an (cheap) adapter, then you have a problem.
Old 09 August 2019, 21:13   #11
Daedalus

Officially there have been 6-button controllers since the CD32 in 1994, and 2-button controllers since the birth of the Amiga. Unofficially, any Amiga could use any number of buttons, but no developers made use of it. In the '80s it was stuck with the silly single-button schemes of the 8-bits, which meant, like OCS/ECS and 1MB of RAM, developers only ever targeted that hardware.
Old 11 August 2019, 03:34   #12
Hewitson

Even in the 90's nothing changed. Amiga users were pressing up for jump/accelerate whilst everyone on a console was enjoying at least 2 buttons if not more.

You could argue that a NES or Master System is a better gaming system than the Amiga due to this.

Yeah the Amiga games usually look and sound better but they're not as playable.
Old 13 August 2024, 16:25   #13
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Officially there have been 6-button controllers since the CD32 in 1994, and 2-button controllers since the birth of the Amiga. Unofficially, any Amiga could use any number of buttons, but no developers made use of it. In the '80s it was stuck with the silly single-button schemes of the 8-bits, which meant, like OCS/ECS and 1MB of RAM, developers only ever targeted that hardware.
Guardian and Fightin' Spirit were the only AGA floppy titles I could name that supported CD32 pad controls. This should have been standard by the AGA release. The A500+ and A600 should have made 2-buttons standard at that time.