English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 February 2024, 00:24   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Robocop (AMIGA), a lazy ST Port Going Into The Vault of Shitness

Well I have to admit Robocop was one of my "sometimes" games to go back to when I had first bought my Amiga in the late 80's when I only had a few games but as soon as I played the 128k Spectrum version I very rarely played this version again.

I also could not get over the fact it was just a direct lazy Atari ST port with a huge border round a tiny play area and sported an extra £5 on the selling tag,...disgraceful.

With the above mentioned and now an AGA version in the works that looks just like the arcade version showing just how poor (for A500 standards) the original Ocean release was I had no option but to choose this version of Robocop into the "Shit Game Time" series and flush it down into the vault of shitness myself, yes this weeks edition has been picked by me, Damn you ST ports!

If you agree,...fine, if you don't,...fine

ROBOCOP (AMIGA A500) SGT VIDEO REVIEW: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by ZEUSDAZ; 24 March 2024 at 03:32.
Old 03 February 2024, 07:12   #2
Korban

I really enjoyed it.
Absolutely an ST port, but its a little improved and the ST game was decent to begin with.

Not the worlds greatest game, but it seems a bit of a stretch to put it into a "shit game" vault.
Old 03 February 2024, 09:32   #3
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I agree, it is a good game.

I've noticed coin-op conversions tend to be judged more harshly than they deserve; if it is not 100% the same it is hated because it is always compared to the original. It's not easy to make an exact reproduction of a game often on less-powerful hardware and without the source code nor graphics/sound assets.
Old 03 February 2024, 11:50   #4
petran

It was nice to add some extra modes not found in the arcade, like the face id match and shooting the lady kidnapper through her skirt
Old 03 February 2024, 12:19   #5
Seiya

Good game, enough close to original game as playability. This game you cannot put in shit games list.
Old 03 February 2024, 13:12   #6
Fiery Phoenix

I purchased it at the time and did like it... Hate when they have the big borders around games though. Yes the face ID puzzle and hostage sections (can't remember , can you shoot through the dress like the movie? Could you do it on the ZX?) were good plus the news break intro

Was it a licencing thing that they could not use a sample from the film for the directives? Without a doubt some English worker at Ocean reading them out, then adding a robotic tinny fx effect to make it sound like Robocop (it doesn't)
Old 03 February 2024, 13:14   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I find the game boring and thus in the category of shit because it pretends to be a platformer but has almost no platforming. It's essentially for the most part a very limited horizontal/vertical shoot em up where you are on rails.

That is one thing Robocop 2 did a little better... in the first level only. Robocop 1 gameplay with Robocop 2 level 1 level design and Robocop 2 gameplay speed, that is the perfect mix. As they are, both games are just not playable to me. After 5 minutes it's time to go outside and touch grass.
Old 03 February 2024, 13:38   #8
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
Good game, enough close to original game as playability. This game you cannot put in shit games list.
Agree. I had lots of fun with this back in the day as well. Also, comparing to the arcade version is just so mindless. You can bet that most people who played the Amiga version back then had no idea an arcade version even existed. It's always easy to do that in retrospective, but it's wrong to judge a game by this.

But I guess the whole point of his videos is to try to make some people upset for the clicks. Sadly, that more often works than not.

Last edited by derSammler; 03 February 2024 at 13:51.
Old 03 February 2024, 18:09   #9
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I find the game boring and thus in the category of shit because it pretends to be a platformer but has almost no platforming. It's essentially for the most part a very limited horizontal/vertical shoot em up where you are on rails.

Yep I removed my Amiga beer goggles off and reality hit me like a bucket of cold water in the face that I had to not lie to myself anymore,...It's a crap version for the A500, either way it felt good flushing it down the bog, now I'm gonna play the ZX and adn arcade version on MAME to get an actual joyful experience of playing Robocop
Old 03 February 2024, 19:22   #10
Adropac2
Zone Friend

yeah I think it's a game most people enjoyed despite how it could have been made better for Amiga. Pretty good job for ST though enough that people just enjoyed it regardless
Old 04 February 2024, 05:35   #11
PatmanQC

Amiga version was good aside from the British guy doing a Robocop impression
Old 04 February 2024, 08:34   #12
Korban

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
Yep I removed my Amiga beer goggles off and reality hit me like a bucket of cold water in the face that I had to not lie to myself anymore,...It's a crap version for the A500, either way it felt good flushing it down the bog, now I'm gonna play the ZX and adn arcade version on MAME to get an actual joyful experience of playing Robocop
I like the arcade version and speccy versions too. And the Amiga version.
There's no Amiga beer goggles involved. Im completely platform agnostic. I enjoy the Amiga, but I enjoy dozens of other machines too.
Simple fact of the matter is that its not a bad game and that appears to be the general consensus. Seems a little narcissistic to suggest that no other people who like the Amiga have the ability to judge a game on it's own merits and that they're all too blinded by Amiga goggles to form clear opinions.

To each their own though.
Old 04 February 2024, 09:07   #13
kremiso

very limited port imo, not a shit game but very few things to do, and almost on rails like gimbal said

for me it was a 6 out of 10 back in the day
5 out of 10 today