English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 June 2021, 11:27   #1
itsmedoofer

Potential Blizzard 1260 / OS3.2 Issues

Hi,

Recently had my A1200 (2B) re-capped, new PSU and OS3.2 ROMs fitted.

For the most part things seem to be working as they should, the 060 is performing as it should, all my memory is showing up, the ROM seems to be located in FastMem (512K missing) and it seems to be stable even under sustained heavy load, however...

I have tried to get blizkick to run, mainly to load modules like cardfix and bblank but it complains that the ROM has not been kicked.

The other thing I notice missing is the blizzard "rainbow" when powering on, the screen stays black until WB pops up. If I go into the early boot menu and just boot from there without changing anything I can get the "rainbow".

Is this to be expected with OS3.2, or am I seeing the beginnings of an issue ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23 June 2021, 13:08   #2
Jope
-

Blizkick doesn't support the 3.1.4 and 3.2 exec.libraries so you will get problems.

Unfortunately you will need to let blizkick go and find a way to load the modules separately. If they are not patch modules, they may be possible to load with loadmodule.
Old 23 June 2021, 13:58   #3
itsmedoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Blizkick doesn't support the 3.1.4 and 3.2 exec.libraries so you will get problems.

Unfortunately you will need to let blizkick go and find a way to load the modules separately. If they are not patch modules, they may be possible to load with loadmodule.
Thanks for the reply Jope, appreciated, doing some further reading I kinda came to that conclusion as well, exec library issues ?? There are stand alone patches I can use to do what I want, so that is not a big deal, my biggest concern is my lack of flashing rainbow at power up.

Regards,
Old 23 June 2021, 14:20   #4
Lisko

I used romsplit and remus to rebuild the rom and patch in the blizkick's modules I wanted. Then you can flash it to your eproms or, like me, use blizkick to rekick this rom. The boot will be even faster as blizkick hasn't have to patch the rom every time. Btw blizkick isn't incompatible with 3.2 roms by itself but you can't use the EXTRESBUF feature for overtaking the 512kb limit on ROM. If you still can't run blizkick be sure that the blizzard's maprom function is enabled (on my 1230-IV there is a jumper for, not sure for your).
Old 23 June 2021, 15:51   #5
crazyc

Blizkick works fine to boot the 3.2 ROM on its own as per the above. I have been doing this whilst waiting for my fastata to arrive and will have to take my checkmate case apart this weekend to fit it and the 3.2 roms.

I have yet to try 3.2 on my Blizzard 060 desktop however as I cannot yet face reinstalling the meditaor software etc - what is this Rainbow you are talking about?
Cheers
C
Old 23 June 2021, 15:59   #6
itsmedoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
If you still can't run blizkick be sure that the blizzard's maprom function is enabled (on my 1230-IV there is a jumper for, not sure for your).
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply, the jumper is removed, at was working great with my 3.1 setup. I may swap the ROMs back over as see what I get.
Old 23 June 2021, 16:04   #7
itsmedoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
what is this Rainbow you are talking about?
C
Hi, thanks for the reply, when you first power on the 1200, the blizzard displays some colourful bars on the screen, not really a rainbow as such..
Old 23 June 2021, 16:06   #8
crazyc

Ooh maybe I just haven't used my b1260 for a while, or just been really unobservant. I shall have a look later.
What does it mean?
Old 23 June 2021, 16:58   #9
itsmedoofer

It would make me feel a lot better if you didn't see it either ;-) I think it's just an indicator that the board is there and powered up, I couldn't see any reference to it in the manual..
Old 23 June 2021, 17:17   #10
zipper

Yes, typical Blizzard. On Blizzard 2060 coloured pattern, too. And the lower Blizzards - at least some of them - did show less coloured boot pattern.
Old 23 June 2021, 17:31   #11
Daedalus

Usually those colours have been and gone by the time my monitor syncs to my Amiga, so I only see them on a soft reboot. It's a nice touch to let you know the card's present and running, but I wouldn't worry about not seeing it unless it turned out to be an indication of a more serious problem.
Old 23 June 2021, 17:48   #12
itsmedoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
but I wouldn't worry about not seeing it unless it turned out to be an indication of a more serious problem.
Thanks for your time and reassurance Daedalus, apart from the rainbow, everything seems to be as should be, I'll try to stop obsessing and just get on with enjoying it: -)