English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 March 2022, 00:36   #1
zardoz
Zone Friend

PS5 vs PS4 Pro vs PS4 - GT 7

[ Show youtube player ]

So in ten years of video game hardware and software development we've got a big game launch that differs from the previous gen version in ways they have to stop the video for and show you the different lighting effects?

The point being, of course, the generation after the A1200 was psx / Saturn / N64. The retrogamer in me still wonders what new gaming frontiers the 3D consoles really brought.
Old 07 March 2022, 02:11   #2
NovaCoder

Yes amazing progress

Personally, I'm quite happy to play GT2 on my Mister
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gt 2b.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	628.8 KB
ID:	74988  

Last edited by NovaCoder; 07 March 2022 at 02:17.
Old 07 March 2022, 10:30   #3
dreadnought

It was somewhat easier to see progress back in the day because 3D was still in proto stages. Also, GT is not the best example because this game is a) cross-gen b) already close to photorealism (at least when it comes to cars) so any differences will be minor.
In some other type of game (eg open world) the leap could be more visible - but still not as pronounced as in the early days.

The worrying trend now is spending the GPU power on making games run in crazy resolutions (8K coming soon, yo) or negligible RTX effects instead of adding polygons and such, and making scenes more complex.
Old 07 March 2022, 11:51   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
The retrogamer in me still wonders what new gaming frontiers the 3D consoles really brought.
What they achieved was making it so gaming was no longer associated with computer nerds and kids.
Old 07 March 2022, 12:16   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
So in ten years of video game hardware and software development we've got a big game launch that differs from the previous gen version in ways they have to stop the video for and show you the different lighting effects?
I think this is just the game. It started out as a PS4 game and they couldn't change it too much.

As we start to see more games using UE5 the games will stand out as truly next-gen. Scenes that use Nanite and Lumin with Ray-Trace they look photo-realistic beyond anything you've seen before.

Pre-rendered cut-scenes on XBox One X & PS4 will be the standard in-game footage on PS5 and Xbox-Series X
Old 07 March 2022, 13:10   #6
Locutus

The playable Matrix demo shows quite well where things are going.
Old 07 March 2022, 13:45   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I remember many years ago reading here (or was it total-emu) about GT3 and how PS2 is almost photo realistic... I think Ian posted screenshots and we all were awed...

I don't have latest GT, but new Forza Horizon is both photo realistic and somewhat more open-world. It is also monster of a game, taking 103GB of space fully installed.

More games allowing you to stop the game and change into photo editor is nice addition and now I find it surprising if is not included in the game.

Last edited by Anubis; 07 March 2022 at 13:57.
Old 07 March 2022, 14:49   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Granted, GT3 was pretty amazing for its time. I remember being floored by it when I first saw it move. Proof that good art direction can hide technical limitations.

BUT... it never thrilled me as much as GT2 did for some reason.
Old 07 March 2022, 15:05   #9
clebin

The law of diminishing returns is in full swing with 3D and has been for many years. I feel I had 90% of what the newest generation of consoles offer on the Xbox 360 in 2005.

GT7 looks beautiful but I immediately went back to look at a video of Project Gotham Racing 3. Yes, it's clearly inferior but nowhere near what you might expect for a 17 year old game. Within a few minutes I'd pretty much forgotten what the higher fidelity of GT7 looked like and was absorbed in PGR3's world.

Don't get me wrong, I will upgrade at some point. I have a (surprisingly small) list of titles I really want to play and if a new Elder Scrolls appears I'll definitely take the plunge. Until then I'll look at yet another video of someone running around with a gun playing virtual paintball while pointing out slightly enhanced anti-aliased lighting effects, and slink back to my retro world...
Old 07 March 2022, 16:58   #10
kremiso

when your new TV no longer fits in your living room, that's when you'll finally start to see the small graphic differences
Old 08 March 2022, 10:04   #11
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
The law of diminishing returns is in full swing with 3D and has been for many years. I feel I had 90% of what the newest generation of consoles offer on the Xbox 360 in 2005.
Have to agree with you. I have been a PlayStation owner for every generation, but what Microsoft is doing with Gamepass and backwards compatibility does make me wanna look at the series X.
Old 08 March 2022, 11:51   #12
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

That would be it yeah. It's not so much about technical progress anymore but more about the gaming "experience". I'm still quite into VR developments. If they ever make a Portal 3 VR... oof. I'll happily barf everytime I play.
Old 08 March 2022, 14:28   #13
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Have to agree with you. I have been a PlayStation owner for every generation, but what Microsoft is doing with Gamepass and backwards compatibility does make me wanna look at the series X.
First thing I got in USA when I moved here in beginning of 96 was PS, and since then I got nice little collection of games for every generation except PS5 - still did not manage to get one. First XBox I got very late, just after reading about soft modding and replacing HD here on forum, and using it to emulate Amiga and consoles, but since then we got xBox 360 with Kinetic and 2 xBox Ones and xBox Series S and X, all than ks to GamePass. I even purchased some games in MS store for my kids. We have PS4 VR, but very rarely we would use it, it sucks because of cables and needing to be very close to console in order to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
That would be it yeah. It's not so much about technical progress anymore but more about the gaming "experience". I'm still quite into VR developments. If they ever make a Portal 3 VR... oof. I'll happily barf everytime I play.
OQ2 is doing a lot of things right, but now that I think about it, I never tried it with racing games, I know few I have support VR. It might be interesting, specially when combined with wheel setup I have. I did use it with Elite Dangerous and that is all sort of new experiences... Especially if you have good flystick...
Old 08 March 2022, 14:49   #14
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]

The point being, of course, the generation after the A1200 was psx / Saturn / N64. The retrogamer in me still wonders what new gaming frontiers the 3D consoles really brought.

stop complaining: they added TREES and better GRASS. And the mirrors are anti-aliased when you zoom x50

What could you want more? A T-shirt?

I can't wait for GT8 on PS6 with insects flying around using an A.I. and crashing on the windscreen

plus when they posted the video on YouTube the encoding probably destroyed the slight differences even more. It's like watching a TV ad for a new TV on your old shitty TV

But to be honest, they're globally improving the rendering in the engines/graphic chipsets. Small improvements, but approaching real life perfection more and more year after year. Ok, playability isn't a factor here... but great for 3D movies. Look what they did with Martin Scorcese "The Irishman"

I'd like to see a new Schwarzenegger movie for instance

Okay, now back to Scramble

Last edited by jotd; 08 March 2022 at 15:00.
Old 08 March 2022, 15:21   #15
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
It doesn't look a whole lot better than GT Sport when played on PS5 but it's good to have the proper GT experience we never got on the PS4.

Riding the rails still works a treat too...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 March 2022, 15:45   #16
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
.. but great for 3D movies. Look what they did with Martin Scorcese "The Irishman"

Well, that was actually not great. Deepfake would be way more effective.

Here is a good video about that.

[ Show youtube player ]

and the comparison between CGI and deepfake

[ Show youtube player ]

No offence to anyone; love ya JODT ; and i dont want to go into that GT7 stuff. I mean, nowdays you need a magnifyingglass to see the difference. In my Days.. a half blind man could see the difference.

Whatever; i dont want to be a downer but most modern "tripple AAA games" are boring as ...... imho. Well, there are a few exeptions and the "INDIE Scene" of course !! Thanks for the Indies otherwise i would have stopped this hobby years ago or only play older stuff.

Anyway, Enjoy GT7 wherever you want to play it.

Greetings Torti
Old 08 March 2022, 16:05   #17
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
nowdays you need a magnifying glass to see the difference. In my Days.. a half blind man could see the difference.
This game is a terrible example. Just look at the PS5 realtime UE5 demo running nanite and lumen where movie assets (3D created for cinema films) have been used and compare to a normal PS4 game and it is night and day.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 March 2022, 16:05   #18
dreadnought

GT7 is not any more or less boring than Lotus. It's just, when you've been playing games for 3+ decades like most of us, boredom can certainly be a factor.

Last edited by dreadnought; 08 March 2022 at 16:17.
Old 08 March 2022, 17:05   #19
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
This game is a terrible example. Just look at the PS5 realtime UE5 demo running nanite and lumen where movie assets (3D created for cinema films) have been used and compare to a normal PS4 game and it is night and day.

[ Show youtube player ]
Yes, i know this promo video, and unreal can do amazing things, for sure.

But to see that in a real final game is another thing imho.

Ps5 for example struggles pretty good with the Matrix Demo already

GT7 already struggles to run smooth with a full pack of cars. So...

It makes sense to have "realistic as possible" graphics in a Sim game, but other than that i prefer my games as far out as they can be.

Unreal is a nice thing, sure Lets see what the future will bring.
Old 08 March 2022, 17:13   #20
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
GT7 is not any more or less boring than Lotus. It's just, when you've been playing games for 3+ decades like most of us, boredom can certainly be a factor.
GT can be great fun too.