English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 08 March 2011, 00:01   #101
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Is there a reason why this can't happen now (putting the obvious dispute with Horace aside) ?
There isn't and I already talked to Abaddon, he sent me his sources, I sent him mine and we'll use the best bits of both for the install package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
as stated, I never said that about you, although you've been quite happy to call me names by PM. You have your reasons for denying the release, I just dont understand them considering your lack of interest in the game.
First: It was you who posted here in this thread instead of doing it in private (do you enjoy the attention Mr. "I assume"? Thought so!), second, it was you who replied in an utter arrogant way to one of my PMs, not me! And that you don't understand my reasons is no wonder since apparently you don't understand a lot of things here.

And as for this "lack of interest in the game" nonsense, I have a patch in progress since 1997 and it still is not 100% finished, so according to your "logic" I don't have any interest in that game either, right? Too bad that it is one of my favorite Amiga games...

Quote:
so if i had asked you a week ago, it would have been ok, but because the author asked you instead, it's now a problem to let them release it? Am i missing something here? I thought your reasons were because of the time you spent on it, (have you done a lot on the slave over the last week?)
If you had asked me before asking Abaddon, there would have been no problems at all! But no, you just decided for yourself that I "lost interest" in the patch, I'll call you "Mr. assume" from now on! And I'll also assume a lot of things about your patches and then I'll decide on my own what's best for them since that is what I learnt from you.
How about applying for a job as clairvoyant btw? That seems to be the perfect job for you!

Quote:
except on those many occasions I asked you about it on IRC...
Do you want me to post logs? You should better keep your mouth shut Mr. "It's been 2 years that I heard something about it". It was in May 2010 that I last talked to you about the Wipe Out patch! But you probably forgot all that when I helped you with your patches and gave you lots of tips, time I apparently should have spent doing the Wipe Out slave. Which I only started because of your constant whining on IRC because no one else was interested in doing a patch. But that's just another "minor" detail and probably something you don't understand anyway.

Quote:
I find this one amusing, because I know the author of the slave PMed you and said :
Yeah, now even posting PM's here, way to go! Then again, I'm not surprised seeing how you behaved so far.

Quote:
"He (Horace) did mention in his original email that he had asked you quite some time ago. So, you do not need to be upset with him and I should have looked at the WHDLoad home page before starting it. I did actually find it interesting to do the islave as I never to use the blitter to decode the mfm data before, so it wasnt a total loss for me."
Good ol' Horace, just "forgot" to tell Abaddon that I was working on the patch. That's the way to go. And just for the record, I am not upset with Abaddon since it was not his fault. You knew about that patch, you knew I was working on it so you should have mentioned that in your mail to Abaddon. But yeah, that was not important enough to be mentioned, I know.

Quote:
So, you are just saying he wasted his time to make me look like some kind of villain here? OK, that's fine by me.
I have wasted my time because of you. But you don't understand that, not too surprising when I check this thread. Or wait, no, of course you did nothing wrong, it is totally OK what you did and I have absolutely no reason to be upset.

Quote:
This would imply it is no no longer the Author who should get in cotanct with the person who has the game on their WIP list. You forget, I am not the person who coded this other Wipe Out slave. If you were to "take over" mine, would I be blaming a third party, or you?
You can write as many words as you want, fact remains that it is entirely your fault that this happened. I don't blame Abaddon, I blame you! And how you act here in this thread speaks a language of its own!

And no, you are not the person who coded that other Wipe Out slave but you are reason that Abaddon coded it!

And if I would take over one of your patches without asking you before, you would be blaming me. And rightfully so!
And this is exactly what you did! You clearly ignored that I was working on the patch by asking someone else to do it. Thus I can ignore your WIP patches too and you have absolutely no reason to complain! That's what I learnt from you.

Quote:
I've made up nothing here.
Of course not, your memory is as bad as always so apparently you need some hints:

- "it has been 2 years since I received any kind of response suggesting that it was still being worked on"
- "Lack of interest in the game"
- "you continually ignored me asking"

These should do for a start!
But I forgot, all that is of course totally true and you indeed did not make anything up here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
I don't fully understand the argument here or why there is a need to go about this in public.

Take it to pm or discuss on irc etc.
I did it via PM first but Horace felt it necessary to post here in this thread for all to see that "bad StingRay denied release of the patch". That also speaks a language of its own.

Last edited by StingRay; 08 March 2011 at 00:07.
Old 08 March 2011, 00:05   #102
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
There isn't and I already talked to Abaddon, he sent me his sources, I sent him mine and we'll use the best bits of both for the install package.
Good to hear (well, read) that
Old 26 March 2011, 18:07   #103
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Good work on the patch guys. Good to see some progress, thanks all for spending the time and effort so far.
Old 05 March 2013, 23:44   #104
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Apologies to StingRay and Abaddon - I still believe there was misunderstanding, and clearly tempers flaired for whatever reasons. I will accept my part in what went on here before, but would, in good faith, like to see it all to be buried now.

I hope that enough time has passed now (2 years since the patch was completed) and would like to ask that Abaddon be permitted to release his patch and source for all.
Old 06 March 2013, 22:50   #105
prowler
Global Moderator

^ That's a valiant attempt by Horace to make peace and let bygones be bygones.

How about giving it some consideration, guys?
Old 07 March 2013, 22:44   #106
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

We are, all cool, and Sting and I have discussed this. The idea to create one "all of the best bits" install package will be the way forward when the guys have the chance to dig everything out and assemble/coordinate it all.
Old 07 March 2013, 23:13   #107
prowler
Global Moderator

That's great news, thanks!
Old 06 June 2014, 21:47   #108
stevedh

Sorry for resurrecting, But I just spotted this and thought I'd mention that I was the programmer on this game many years ago. (the logo is rather an embarrassing mug of me).

I kind of wish I hadn't use that custom format on the floppy as it would have been nice to get a version that worked properly on an emulator, however the whole league disk idea seemed like a good one at the time at the time

Steve

Old 06 June 2014, 21:54   #109
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedh View Post
Sorry for resurrecting, But I just spotted this and thought I'd mention that I was the programmer on this game many years ago. (the logo is rather an embarrassing mug of me).

I kind of wish I hadn't use that custom format on the floppy as it would have been nice to get a version that worked properly on an emulator, however the whole league disk idea seemed like a good one at the time at the time

Steve
To be fair chap, the disk format isn't much of an issue. There are those that are....how shall we put this? Adept at removing such obstacles

I think the main issue is the ingame bugs that are the bigger difficulty to fix that the guys are working on.
Old 07 June 2014, 10:04   #110
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Hi stevedh ....

Love the game, so thank you for the hours of fun. "Cult classic not best seller" - I was always surprised there weren't more attempts in this era of 3d tron like games!

To be fair, the fix to make it more emulator friendly already exists in the unreleased whdload patch - if StingRay gives the ok and is no longer wanting to add anything to it, I can speak to Abaddon about releasing the current patch.

I guess the odds you still have the source code are slim!!
Old 07 June 2014, 13:47   #111
stevedh

Quote:
I guess the odds you still have the source code are slim!!
fraid so, I don't think I even managed to take a copy of the source when I left Gonzo, although I must try and see if can find my box of old floppies just to check.

I can tell you it was written in 68k assembler using PDS, but I know that's not particularly helpful.

But I look forward to seeing the patch when it becomes available, and if anyone wants to ask any questions feel free.

Steve

Old 07 June 2014, 13:56   #112
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Steve - did you create any other games on the Amiga?
Old 07 June 2014, 14:06   #113
stevedh

Nothing that was any good, just street hockey (although interestingly it sold more copies then wipe out), by which time the debts and stress had got too much and I left to try and get a 'proper' job, but without a degree no one wanted to know so ended up back in games again .

Old 07 June 2014, 14:43   #114
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Remove the hockey section from Street Hockey and you've almost got Grand Theft Auto!

I've created a map of the city (click for the full-sized version):

Old 07 June 2014, 16:44   #115
stevedh

thanks, that brings back some memories

Old 17 June 2016, 00:23   #116
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Now 5 years since the WHD patch for this game was completed, and 2 years from the last discussion.

I hope all is now well forgiven/forgotten... we are all getting far too old for it all now, and any quarrels are certainly well past from my side.

Perhaps, if StingRay is cool with it, the working patch could be publicly released? I still have a copy of the working install package sent to me.
Old 30 October 2020, 12:03   #117
stevedh

Resurrecting an old thread and not sure if anyone will spot this, but I found the source code for this, including I think potentially everything needed to build it.
It was buried at the back of our very damp shed, which is not exactly the best place to store old floppies. I am not saying how it ended up there but I am looking for a divorce lawyer
I also almost had a heart attack when I 1st tried to read the disk and got loads of read errors, but luckily they vanished the 2nd time I gave it a go.
This year is the 30th anniversary of Wipe Out being released and I am currently working on a PC version, so I am taking finding of the disk as a sign. It is very slow going though as I can only do it in my spare time.

Anyway if anyone fancies a copy of the source PM me. Please be gentle with me when you rip the code to shreds as it was my 1st go at 68k coding.
Steve
Old 22 January 2021, 23:18   #118
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Wow, just spotted this, Steve. Nice one. :-)

Horace, StingRay, everybody else - hope you're all safe and well? Group hug?
Old 13 February 2021, 15:59   #119
stevedh

Old 13 February 2021, 16:35   #120
capehorn

Hi Steve - loved the game's playability, despite the bugs. Looking forward to the PC version