English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 26 March 2019, 17:55   #1
xboxown

How hard is it to port OpenMSX?

I do not know if this is post it before. How hard is it to port OpenMSX to Amiga RTG system?

https://github.com/openMSX/openMSX

Thanks in advance.
Old 26 March 2019, 20:06   #2
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quick scan of the source:

It's C++ which may be a problem for our lowly Amigas (not always). We have a modern C++ compiler with Beebo's GCC port but it looks to use the CLang compiler.

We have SDL for graphics.

I wouldn't attempt it. Use a PC.
Old 28 March 2019, 03:15   #3
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxown View Post
I do not know if this is post it before. How hard is it to port OpenMSX to Amiga RTG system?

https://github.com/openMSX/openMSX

Thanks in advance.

It would be hardness="4".

You're welcome, next question?
Old 28 March 2019, 04:57   #4
xboxown

hehehe

- hugs grelbfalrk - I missed you! - sigh - WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO JOIN US BACK IN THE APOLLO-TEAM CHANNEL!!??
Old 28 March 2019, 08:49   #5
Locutus

Even if you could port this, it takes 15% CPU time idling at the BIOS screen on a reasonably modern i5-6300U laptop.

So how do you expect to even use this?
Old 28 March 2019, 09:42   #6
Hewitson

6% CPU time on my i5 desktop. Still obviously unfeasible.
Old 28 March 2019, 21:21   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

Add SDL horrendous c2p/video refresh and get ready for 1 frame per second at best on a real amiga.
Old 03 April 2019, 00:54   #8
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Add SDL horrendous c2p/video refresh and get ready for 1 frame per second at best on a real amiga.
Cool, it will run about the same speed as my DOSBox port then
Old 05 April 2019, 03:57   #9
grelbfarlk

I took a brief stab at it, and it seems to require python to configure. Not insurmountable but I need to play with Python a bit first.
Old 05 April 2019, 11:06   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I always thought that AmiMSX emulator for Amiga was pretty damned good back in the day.
Old 05 April 2019, 15:18   #11
Photon

For 060, imagine a Pentium I driving an 800x600 resolution (assuming you want to run it in Workbench as you do on PC). The solution for PC in the year of the Pentium I was normally to run the games in 320x200. If you can switch to this kind of resolution and it's acceptable to you, the engine of the emu might run well. I don't know what the source looks like, if they've added features and compatibility fixes over the years the rest of it might make it grind to a halt. Probably emulation of the cartridge chips is very heavy, so that you can only run early MSX1 carts and tapes decently.
Old 08 April 2019, 20:39   #12
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I always thought that AmiMSX emulator for Amiga was pretty damned good back in the day.
It is good but not good enough. There are lots of games for MSX that are not compatible and will not work on AmiMSX. It needs to upgrade in emulation compatibility to be honest.
Old 08 April 2019, 20:51   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
It is good but not good enough. There are lots of games for MSX that are not compatible and will not work on AmiMSX. It needs to upgrade in emulation compatibility to be honest.
Didn't the original author release all his source for his emulators?

What sort of problems specifically?
Old 08 April 2019, 20:59   #14
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Which games doesn't work ?? I made it launches metal gear 2, it's already no too bad.
Old 08 April 2019, 21:37   #15
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Send a message via MSN to adonay
*MSX* woops get it

This made me feel nostalgic .

I remember trying to run the bleem emulator back in 2000. I had an athlon k6 550?mhz cpu and a riva tnt card. Well that emulator was probably not the most optimized but games would not run well and way bellow 30fps.

Cant see how this would run on 68k
*never mind*

Last edited by adonay; 08 April 2019 at 21:39. Reason: I am tired never mind
Old 09 April 2019, 00:12   #16
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
Which games doesn't work ?? I made it launches metal gear 2, it's already no too bad.
Valis - The Fantasm Soldier II

Is an example of one game that will not work.
Old 09 April 2019, 02:13   #17
James

Quote:
Valis - The Fantasm Soldier II

Is an example of one game that will not work.
I know you said said you hate fMSX, but this game works with it...
Old 09 April 2019, 19:01   #18
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I know you said said you hate fMSX, but this game works with it...
But I hate fMSX

OK...so I suppose if I combine AmiMSX and fMSX as together this could do it...

are there plan for future support and updates, bug fixes and better emulation perfection on fMSX or is it as dead as AmiMSX?
Old 09 April 2019, 20:12   #19
Syntrax

Issue with AMIMSX is for example in the sound system. You select either SCC XOR PSG. If you take the PSG, you will not hear the SCC chip in modern Konami's. If you take PSG, Konami's with the SCC chip will not make music. For a lot of Konami games you will only get 50% of the sound experience. There is also a timing issue where AMIMSX is simply to fast for a real MSX game. Music plays too fast.

FMsx is not dead yet, latest release (5.4) was in 2018 and the system supports a lot of hardware, MSX2+ etc. The latest version for amiga was left at 2.3, so thats dead. (See aminet). You can download the code for fmsx 5.4 its all C, so your milage may very: I don't know why the maintainer of amiga fmsx stopped.

OpenMSX supports lots of exotic hardware IDE controllers, V9990 video chips, FM-PAC, Music Modules etc. Some of it can easily be simulated on an amiga (IDE controller that uses a harddisk file as HD), others like the V9958 (used in MSX2+) create more colors than an amiga can show (19000+), the FM-PAC or Music Module have 5 of 7 audio channels with embedded patterns for instruments. This comes at a price: even a I7 with OpenMSX in stationary mode consumes 30%

So in general: Amiga is not capable of emulating the modern features of MSX, FMSX on Aminet emulates MSX as it was and needs no updates to play games.

Old 09 April 2019, 21:27   #20
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntrax View Post
Issue with AMIMSX is for example in the sound system. You select either SCC XOR PSG. If you take the PSG, you will not hear the SCC chip in modern Konami's. If you take PSG, Konami's with the SCC chip will not make music. For a lot of Konami games you will only get 50% of the sound experience. There is also a timing issue where AMIMSX is simply to fast for a real MSX game. Music plays too fast.

FMsx is not dead yet, latest release (5.4) was in 2018 and the system supports a lot of hardware, MSX2+ etc. The latest version for amiga was left at 2.3, so thats dead. (See aminet). You can download the code for fmsx 5.4 its all C, so your milage may very: I don't know why the maintainer of amiga fmsx stopped.

OpenMSX supports lots of exotic hardware IDE controllers, V9990 video chips, FM-PAC, Music Modules etc. Some of it can easily be simulated on an amiga (IDE controller that uses a harddisk file as HD), others like the V9958 (used in MSX2+) create more colors than an amiga can show (19000+), the FM-PAC or Music Module have 5 of 7 audio channels with embedded patterns for instruments. This comes at a price: even a I7 with OpenMSX in stationary mode consumes 30%

So in general: Amiga is not capable of emulating the modern features of MSX, FMSX on Aminet emulates MSX as it was and needs no updates to play games.
How hard is it to port the fMSX 5.4 C into Amiga? We have V2 and with V4 coming in the future we are more capable of running modern features of MSX on Amiga and enhance timing and compatibilities as well. You said FMSX currently emulates MSX as it was and does not need updates. May I say there is false on that. So many games are not emulated correctly, including graphic glitches, sprites not showing, etc. It need lot more update to make 3.4 or 3.5 for Amiga to become a useable source.