English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 05 May 2012, 20:24   #1
nexusle
Banned

FS-UAE - Support for initializing RDB hardfiles [Solved]

Hi Frode,

Your're right, FS-UAE supports RDB hardfiles. But in this case, the hardfile must setup before in WinUAE or other.

If I create a new hardfile and want to setup it in FS-UAE, I can't do this, because I get an error "drive doesn't support the SCSI inquery command" (or so). This means, I can't setup the hardfile in HDToolBox in FS-UAE.

I think FS-UAE can't detect this hardfile as RDB hardfile, because it have no RDB before setup in HDToolBox.

Please, can you make a solution?

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 04 November 2012 at 18:18. Reason: Added [Solved]
Old 05 May 2012, 22:08   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
Hi Frode,

Your're right, FS-UAE supports RDB hardfiles. But in this case, the hardfile must setup before in WinUAE or other.

If I create a new hardfile and want to setup it in FS-UAE, I can't do this, because I get an error "drive doesn't support the SCSI inquery command" (or so). This means, I can't setup the hardfile in HDToolBox in FS-UAE.

I think FS-UAE can't detect this hardfile as RDB hardfile, because it have no RDB before setup in HDToolBox.

Please, can you make a solution?
Aha, yes, to make the disk appear in HD toolbox (by default at least) it must use emulated ide or scsi controller, not "uae" controller. I'll check it out some more, but basically one solution is to let you specify hd controller.

I haven't tried this myself, but does it work if you start hdtoolbox like this?:
Code:
hdtoolbox uaehf.device
Old 05 May 2012, 22:35   #3
nexusle
Banned

Hi Frode,

I know the basics of HDToolBox and the interaction with "uaehf.device"

I get the error message if I want to read the drive geometrics IN HDToolBox.
Old 05 May 2012, 22:38   #4
nexusle
Banned

Another question: in WinUAE its possible to emulate the buildin IDE controller of Amiga 600/1200. In this case I can use scsi.device instead of uaehf.device. Why this isn't default in the config environment of "Model = A1200"?

In WinUAE this is part of the extended chipset configuration. You can choose the device (IDE) under harddisk options in WinUAE. Possible to implement this?
Old 05 May 2012, 22:44   #5
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Hi Frode,
I know the basics of HDToolBox and the interaction with "uaehf.device"
I get the error message if I want to read the drive geometrics IN HDToolBox.
OK -How do you create the RDF file, by the way? Have you created the RDF file with another UAE port (without creating partitions etc)? I'll try to do the same here...

Quote:
Another question: in WinUAE its possible to emulate the buildin IDE controller of Amiga 600/1200. In this case I can use scsi.device instead of uaehf.device. Why this isn't default in the config environment of "Model = A1200"?

In WinUAE this is part of the extended chipset configuration. You can choose the device (IDE) under harddisk options in WinUAE. Possible to implement this?
Yes it is, and yes, it is possible it should be the default for Amiga 600/1200... -does anyone know if using ide instead of uae hd controller (for 600/1200) has any drawbacks?
Old 05 May 2012, 22:48   #6
nexusle
Banned

I used HiToro on Mac to create an RDB hardfile and has setup it in E-UAE. This finished hardfile works with E-UAE, PUAE and FS-UAE of course...
Old 28 October 2012, 22:03   #7
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
In version 2.1.1 (not out yet), you can specify the HD controller, for example:
Code:
hard_drive_0_controller = ide0
Old 29 October 2012, 08:14   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Simple rule: Use IDE or SCSI only when you need to replicate real hardware configuration, for example when creating HD for your real hardware.

UAE is faster and supports all "modern" features that IDE lacks without patches (Most important feature is full 64-bit addressing support = >4G drives work without silent data loss due to 32-bit wraparound)

I think OPs problem is missing RDB mode detection without RDSK identifier at the beginning of the hardfile. Sectors == heads = 0 should enable RDB mode, with or without identifier. (I thought this code was in common filesystem part?)

Old style partition hardfiles don't allow Direct SCSI (that hdtoolbox uses) because it does not make any sense.

EDIT: There is also one another IDE "problem": There are many misnamed rom files and most AF roms are A4000-only or don't have scsi.device included at all = you will get bug reports because ROM does not match with hardware. (A1200 IDE only works with A1200 ROM and so on)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 29 October 2012 at 10:46.
Old 29 October 2012, 09:54   #9
nexusle
Banned

Yes!

This is what I mean. If we specify Amiga Model in config file:

"amiga_model = A1200"

than "IDE" should be the default HDD controller...

Quote:
I think OPs problem is missing RDB mode detection
Right!

I would have several partitions on one HDD. In FS-UAE it only works, if this HDD is setup in another UAE version before
Old 29 October 2012, 22:07   #10
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I think OPs problem is missing RDB mode detection without RDSK identifier at the beginning of the hardfile. Sectors == heads = 0 should enable RDB mode, with or without identifier. (I thought this code was in common filesystem part?)

Old style partition hardfiles don't allow Direct SCSI (that hdtoolbox uses) because it does not make any sense.
Yes, you're right! I tested with a HDF file in non-RDB-mode w/uaehf.device, and HDToolBox have the same error message as reported by nexusle. Partitioning with HDToolBox worked just fine with uaehf.device when using it with an RDB file (or forcing RDB mode), so the HDF file was probably just zeroes (or at least did not have the RDB header).

FS-UAE checks for the RDSK identifier and only sets RDB mode (Sectors == heads = 0) if this identifier is present. I have now added a way to force RDB mode:
Code:
hard_drive_0_type = rdb
There isn't any option to specify partition geometry yet actually, and no-one has requested it... -I assume then that most FS-UAE users either use RDB images, or small HDF partitions with default geometry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
EDIT: There is also one another IDE "problem": There are many misnamed rom files and most AF roms are A4000-only or don't have scsi.device included at all = you will get bug reports because ROM does not match with hardware. (A1200 IDE only works with A1200 ROM and so on)
Good point!

Quote:
Yes! This is what I mean. If we specify Amiga Model in config file:
"amiga_model = A1200"
than "IDE" should be the default HDD controller...
It sounds like using IDE by default would do more harm than good, and using "hard_drive_0_type = rdb" is probably preferred when you want to initialize a new blank drive image. When it is already partitioned, FS-UAE will auto-detect RDB mode as usual.

I will probably write some HD documentation for FS-UAE where I'll include this information for new users. -And the Launcher should get a tool to create new blank HDF files too

EDIT: new hard drive options added in FS-UAE 2.1.1

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 02 November 2012 at 00:08.