English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 21 December 2012, 21:51   #1
elowan

Exclamation FS-UAE for G4 ppc OSX 10.5.8

hello,

at http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/download i´ve read about a possibility to compile this on mac ppc.

Did someone already done this and could provide a download, please?

I´d like to use it on my system (see title) and maybe some other ppc-macusers are interested in it.

I´ve found a ppc compiled version, here in "The Zone"... but this one keep on crashing right on start up... so.. need a working one

Best Regards,

ELO
Old 21 December 2012, 21:56   #2
nexusle
Banned

Look at "The Zone!". There is the latest PPC build (2.1.11) but I don't know, if it works on G4...
Old 21 December 2012, 22:01   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
Look at "The Zone!". There is the latest PPC build (2.1.11) but I don't know, if it works on G4...
Apparently, it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elowan View Post
I´ve found a ppc compiled version, here in "The Zone"... but this one keep on crashing right on start up... so.. need a working one
Old 21 December 2012, 22:35   #4
nexusle
Banned

Ah ok! I should read posts to end
Old 22 December 2012, 14:43   #5
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Sorry to hear it crashes on G4.

How does it crash? What Amiga software did you try - and what format: HDF, ADF, IPF?
Old 31 December 2012, 17:39   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

There is a fix for what's likely the problem causing the crash: See http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=858734 (fix will also be included in 2.1.13)
Old 31 December 2012, 18:27   #7
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I uploaded 2.1.14dev to the Zone, if elowan wants to test it.

Last edited by mr_a500; 02 January 2013 at 00:28.
Old 08 January 2013, 16:54   #8
elowan

Ok, i tested the new version (thank you for uploading and support), but still crashes on start:

Code:
Process:         fs-uae [120]
Path:            /Users/gforce2/Downloads/fs-uae-2.1.14dev-macosx/FS-UAE.app/Contents/MacOS/fs-uae
Identifier:      no.fengestad.fs-uae
Version:         ??? (???)
Code Type:       PPC (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [71]

Interval Since Last Report:          50 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           1
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  0 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   1

Date/Time:       2013-01-08 16:47:22.609 +0100
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version:  6
Anonymous UUID:  F2A0C525-71AB-4B29-838D-8B531134E5FD

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000008fe0105c
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/gforce2/Downloads/fs-uae-2.1.14dev-macosx/FS-UAE.app/Contents/MacOS/fs-uae
  Reason: image not found
I installed SDL Framework for mac (1.2.15 for 10.4 osx) - guess it won´t work under osx 10.5.8? Any clues?

greetings
Old 08 January 2013, 17:51   #9
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

The output is useful. It does not crash, but rather aborts because the SDL library is not found (and specifically, not found here: /opt/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib).

I would call this a packaging problem, the official Mac app bundle contains the SDL framework, and the FS-UAE executable is configured to use the bundled SDL.

In this case, the bundle tries to find SDL where it was installed on the packager's system (from the looks of it, SDL from MacPorts).

The best fix is that the bundle is recreated with the SDL framework bundled.

(Note: part of the FS-UAE build process for creating Mac app bundles is to run the included fix-app.py script, which copies required libraries to the bundle and updates the references in the executable. Perhaps this has not run properly when this app bundle was created).
Old 08 January 2013, 18:52   #10
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Yep, that looks like it's my problem. Sorry for the crap bundling.

It works on mine because I have that library in that location. The bundle does contain that library, but the executable must be looking for it in the other location. A quick test would be to copy the libSDL-1.2.0.dylib (in FS-UAE/Contents/Frameworks/) to /opt/local/lib/.

When I have time, I'll do it properly.
Old 08 January 2013, 21:27   #11
elowan

Thx, that would be nice

btw: is there a way to build a launcher for fs-uae? Or must configuration be done by hand?

I like to run AIAB with it, would it be a problem then? Where to put the config.uae file?
Could the config for win-uae or maxuae be used?

Got no opt/local/lib folder on my drive -does it come with Macports or Fink?

greetings

Last edited by elowan; 08 January 2013 at 21:33.
Old 09 January 2013, 12:39   #12
nexusle
Banned

Quote:
btw: is there a way to build a launcher for fs-uae
I don't know, if this exists (compiled) for PPC, but there exists a "FS-UAE Launcher" for a while...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64531
Old 09 January 2013, 17:28   #13
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Thx, that would be nice

btw: is there a way to build a launcher for fs-uae? Or must configuration be done by hand?
The build scripts included with the FS-UAE source code builds a FS-UAE Launcher.app for OS X. This is the one that's distributed on the official site. The launcher itself is written in pure Python code, but the app contains a complete copy of Python (and other dependencies).

So the launcher app must be built separately for PPC, and it should work provided that all dependencies are installed (Python, wxPython, py2app, pygame, ...) on the computer creating the bundle. I use the MacPorts versions when creating the official app bundles.

Quote:
I like to run AIAB with it, would it be a problem then? Where to put the config.uae file? Could the config for win-uae or maxuae be used?
Shouldn't be a problem, but you need to create a config file for it to set up the hard drives (etc) -it can't use the WinUAE/MaxUAE config files. You can save the config file (for example AIAB.fs-uae) wherever you want to -and you should be able to start FS-UAE with that config by double-clicking on it.

Quote:
Got no /opt/local/lib folder on my drive -does it come with Macports or Fink?
MacPorts
Old 09 January 2013, 17:46   #14
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
The best fix is that the bundle is recreated with the SDL framework bundled.

(Note: part of the FS-UAE build process for creating Mac app bundles is to run the included fix-app.py script, which copies required libraries to the bundle and updates the references in the executable. Perhaps this has not run properly when this app bundle was created).
Now I remember why I did crap bundling - the build fails at this point:
Code:
cp: ../../out/libfs-capsimage.dylib: No such file or directory
gmake: *** [bundle] Error 1
I didn't realize the required capsimage source was in a separate download. The executable worked for me (and I didn't need IPF support), so I just manually created the .app bundles that I uploaded. (I'm fairly new to Macs, so I foolishly assumed it would work)

If I comment out that line in the makefile, it continues to this point:
Code:
install_name_tool: object: fs-uae.app/Contents/Frameworks/libglib-2.0.0.dylib malformed object (unknown load command 4)
If I take the (newer) libraries from /opt/local/lib/ instead of /usr/local/lib/, it builds without errors - but there's another problem: fix-app.py seems to be changing the path for other libraries that it doesn't actually copy to the Frameworks folder:

Code:
['install_name_tool', '-change', '/opt/local/lib/libXrandr.2.dylib', '@executable_path/../Frameworks/libXrandr.2.dylib', 'fs-uae.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib']
['install_name_tool', '-change', '/opt/local/lib/libXext.6.dylib', '@executable_path/../Frameworks/libXext.6.dylib', 'fs-uae.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib']
['install_name_tool', '-change', '/opt/local/lib/libXrender.1.dylib', '@executable_path/../Frameworks/libXrender.1.dylib', 'fs-uae.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib']
['install_name_tool', '-change', '/opt/local/lib/libX11.6.dylib', '@executable_path/../Frameworks/libX11.6.dylib', 'fs-uae.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib']
['install_name_tool', '-change', '/opt/local/lib/libxcb.1.dylib', '@executable_path/../Frameworks/libxcb.1.dylib', 'fs-uae.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib']
['install_name_tool', '-change', '/opt/local/lib/libXau.6.dylib', '@executable_path/../Frameworks/libXau.6.dylib', 'fs-uae.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib']
['install_name_tool', '-change', '/opt/local/lib/libXdmcp.6.dylib', '@executable_path/../Frameworks/libXdmcp.6.dylib', 'fs-uae.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib']
fixing fs-uae.app/Contents/Frameworks/libglib-2.0.0.dylib
This makes the executable fail because it can't find those libraries in the Frameworks folder. Why is it doing that?

Last edited by mr_a500; 09 January 2013 at 20:40.
Old 09 January 2013, 21:20   #15
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I manually copied those X11 libraries to the Frameworks folder after building and it runs. I put it in the zone if somebody wants to test it.
Old 09 January 2013, 21:50   #16
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

The app bundle packaging process is not "officially supported", it just contains the minimal amount of features to work on my systems. I include my packaging scripts only as a convenience for others -some modifications are to be expected unless your system is similarly set up .

The reason it looks in /usr/local/lib is because I put an custom version of a library there at one point, and it looks in /opt/local/lib for all the other libs because that's where all the other are on my system.

Note: I use the no_x11 flag/variant for my Macports installation, so the X libraries are not (unnecessarily) included.
Old 09 January 2013, 22:19   #17
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Note: I use the no_x11 flag/variant for my Macports installation, so the X libraries are not (unnecessarily) included.
Hmm... I suppose it's too late for me to do that unless I reinstall Macports?

I've been looking at the Launcher dependencies and saw that I need:
Quote:
wxPython, py2app, pygame, ...) on the computer creating the bundle.
... but there are many different Macports versions of wxPython (none of which are "wxPython28-unicode"). Can you tell me which one I should get? I tried installing "py-wxpython 2.8.12.1", but it failed.

Last edited by mr_a500; 10 January 2013 at 02:53. Reason: fixed quote
Old 10 January 2013, 00:23   #18
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
Hmm... I suppose it's too late for me to do that unless I reinstall Macports?
I think there was a way to change variant flags and rebuild all packages, don't remember the commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
I've been looking at the Launcher dependencies and saw that I need: [...] but there are many different Macports versions of wxPython (none of which are "wxPython28-unicode"). Can you tell me which one I should get? I tried installing "py-wxpython 2.8.12.1", but it failed.
I think you have looked at the dependencies for FreeBSD..

The Macports package I have installed is py27-wxpython.
Old 10 January 2013, 02:27   #19
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
The Macports package I have installed is py27-wxpython.
I tried to install it and got:
Code:
Error: org.macports.build for port py27-wxpython returned: command execution failed
How annoying. Now I have to debug a Macports problem. I think I might skip the Launcher. I don't need it.
Old 10 January 2013, 17:39   #20
elowan

Great, now it starts and - wow it looks like a very, very cool emulator (at least GUI-wise)

I´ll test a bit and try to install AIAB or ClassicWB with it.

Thank you very much for the support!