English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 January 2010, 02:46   #161
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
A1000 in todays value would cost 2200 euro, so its going to be cheaper than 2200 euro, that we know
Actually it would cost 1800$ if inflation is taken into account. Plus you have to deduct the change in value of computers from it. That would be much less than 1500$
Old 09 January 2010, 03:18   #162
Mangar
Got the fever back

I think Hyperion is smart enough to not consider inflation when they made that comment.

Seriously.. No one in their right mind would pay 2000 dollars for this machine. Maybe back in 1996 but now is not the time to gouge the community.
Old 09 January 2010, 04:54   #163
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Actually it would cost 1800$ if inflation is taken into account. Plus you have to deduct the change in value of computers from it. That would be much less than 1500$
Hope it includes a monitor and a hard drive this time standard.
Old 09 January 2010, 11:59   #164
Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post

Yes, it is the true, AROS is already AmigaOS x86 and it should be praised as the true successor of Workbench, a true next-gen Amiga operating system for anyone who wants to run Amiga apps in 3GHz+.

First step, dont call it AROS, call it AmigaOS x86, the true AmigaOS.

Now I have a Amiga X86 Barebone with Icaros Distribution and it's true real amiga, just amazing
Old 09 January 2010, 12:22   #165
Mikey_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post

Now I have a Amiga X86 Barebone with Icaros Distribution and it's true real amiga, just amazing
No, that is not a true amiga, sorry, its Amiga like, but its not a True Amiga.
- But, if you want to delude yourself, please don't let me stop you.
Old 09 January 2010, 13:06   #166
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangar View Post
Dave is like anyone else in the amiga community. He feels skeptical at yet another 'announcement' regarding a new machine. At one time he was in favor of what Amiga Inc were trying to do but soon realized they were full of it. At least we can say Hyperion has released OS4. At least they participate in community discussion. Of course anything over a few hundred dollars is going to feel overpriced to anyone who is satisfied with his PC.

His comments are not damning. They are expected from a former Commodore engineer. His last comment is merely outlining that a new amiga with netbook performance is better than anything that came before so at least this new machine is a vast improvement.

Does this machine make the Amiga relevant again? Most likely not. Does it give the Amiga community the best option to run AmigaOS4? Yes it does. By a longshot. It could be a good start to become a niche market once again. It all depends if Hyperion has the resources or not. What they do after the X1000 is the big question. They won't have a faster PPC to turn to. They will need something else.

But really, everything is just speculation at this point. We don't even know the full details of the system. Let's all just wait and see what happens in the coming months. There are many projects out there to be excited about.

I'd just like to finish off with saying you dont go through a couple of years of court battles and huge lawyer fees for an OS with a userbase the size of the AmigaOS4 community. They had plans.
Dave Haynie pretty much sums the whole thing up in my eyes. Amusing thread to say the least.

AROS looks cool and is actually updated! They seem to have more get up and go compared to Hyperion who now have no money after the court case.
Old 09 January 2010, 14:45   #167
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_C View Post
No, that is not a true amiga, sorry, its Amiga like, but its not a True Amiga.
- But, if you want to delude yourself, please don't let me stop you.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. It's as much a real Amiga OS as MorphOS. Hell of a lot faster and more responsive than Amiga OS 4.x too. I saw it run on a SAM and was less than impressed. Workbench seemed snappier on my 030 at reading directory listings than os 4.x on the SAM.
Old 09 January 2010, 15:36   #168
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
No point arguing what is a real Amiga with 'Amiga users'. They are a bunch of loons! . Infact its safer these days to not discuss anything with 'Amiga users'
Old 09 January 2010, 15:52   #169
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
No point arguing what is a real Amiga with 'Amiga users'. They are a bunch of loons! . Infact its safer these days to not discuss anything with 'Amiga users'
Heh lets just define it as anything with an Escom or Commodore badge containing all the original chips, 68k or a minimig. Anything else is not a real Amiga. Minus points for re-badged stuff like the Teron.

Frank
Old 09 January 2010, 16:22   #170
Paul_s

Real Amiga - Anything 'classic' i.e. from the Commodore Era.

The Amiga name is about going beyond and above what was possible at the time. Give me a machine which can destroy Windows 7 or utilise a Quad Core to the point it runs like a dream and do amazing things that would only be possible on a piece of hardware 5x the price tag and you may just have people in awe/love again with a piece of technology.

I've never felt the same kind of feeling as in 1990 with my 500. I'm sure a lot of people will know what I mean.
Old 09 January 2010, 18:11   #171
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Real Amiga - Anything 'classic' i.e. from the Commodore Era.

The Amiga name is about going beyond and above what was possible at the time. Give me a machine which can destroy Windows 7 or utilise a Quad Core to the point it runs like a dream and do amazing things that would only be possible on a piece of hardware 5x the price tag and you may just have people in awe/love again with a piece of technology.

I've never felt the same kind of feeling as in 1990 with my 500. I'm sure a lot of people will know what I mean.
Yup. 5x the price and 20% of the speed doesn't cut it. I'd rather remember the Amiga as it was and not as a sad parody
Old 09 January 2010, 18:21   #172
Mangar
Got the fever back

The 25th anniversary of the launch of the Amiga 1000 is coming up soon. It should be an exciting year for all of the different amiga camps. The OS4 guys have a new machine coming, an updated OS, various other projects. Aros and MorphOS will get one step closer to their goals. Classic Amiga fans may get a new documentary featuring the commodore engineers. Lots of oldschool projects going on as well.

Let's just enjoy the inspiration created by a wonderful machine built by a great group of people that has the most loyal and creative userbase ever.
Old 09 January 2010, 18:28   #173
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
loyal yes, but I wouldn't say Amiga users now are any more creative than users of other platforms (at least not anymore). Infact there is more "creativity" happening on the Commodore 64 scene.

Last edited by BuZz; 09 January 2010 at 18:36.
Old 09 January 2010, 19:20   #174
frank_b

Quote:
The 25th anniversary of the launch of the Amiga 1000 is coming up soon. It should be an exciting year for all of the different amiga camps. The OS4 guys have a new machine coming, an updated OS, various other projects. Aros and MorphOS will get one step closer to their goals. Classic Amiga fans may get a new documentary featuring the commodore engineers. Lots of oldschool projects going on as well.

Let's just enjoy the inspiration created by a wonderful machine built by a great group of people that has the most loyal and creative userbase ever.
A new documentary with the engineers sounds interesting. Can you provide more details? I think there should be something special to mark the 25th birthday of the a1k.
Old 09 January 2010, 19:44   #175
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

From my perspective, all A-Eon are selling are rose-tinted Amiga glasses. It's like beer goggle surgery for nerds and the numbers of the falling over themselves for the hype on other forums has amazed me.

Last edited by Merlin; 09 January 2010 at 20:42.
Old 09 January 2010, 20:23   #176
gilgamesh
Linux snob

One might argue that there was no real Amiga since the A1000.

The name should'nt really be a concern here. Maybe the X1000 is well engineered, maybe not. Maybe it is overpriced, maybe not. (Apple computers definitely are.)

The Hyperion guys built a computer despite A Inc's duck and cover policy. I think they deserve an unbiased test, at least.
Old 09 January 2010, 20:37   #177
Mangar
Got the fever back

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_b View Post
A new documentary with the engineers sounds interesting. Can you provide more details? I think there should be something special to mark the 25th birthday of the a1k.
A documentary team has contacted some of the Amiga engineers regarding their plans to film a documentary starting early 2010. If there is a commodore reunion I'm sure someone like Dave Haynie will film that as well.

Sent you a PM as well.
Old 09 January 2010, 20:38   #178
Mangar
Got the fever back

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
One might argue that there was no real Amiga since the A1000.

The name should'nt really be a concern here. Maybe the X1000 is well engineered, maybe not. Maybe it is overpriced, maybe not. (Apple computers definitely are.)

The Hyperion guys built a computer despite A Inc's duck and cover policy. I think they deserve an unbiased test, at least.
That's how I feel. I'm willing to give them a shot, but that's it. If this amounts to nothing. Well, I still have my A1200.
Old 09 January 2010, 21:00   #179
frank_b

Quote:
A documentary team has contacted some of the Amiga engineers regarding their plans to film a documentary starting early 2010. If there is a commodore reunion I'm sure someone like Dave Haynie will film that as well.

Sent you a PM as well.
Got it cheers I was somewhat saddened nothing happened on the 20th anniversary. Lets hope there's some way of celebrating the 25th birthday.

Frank
Old 09 January 2010, 23:02   #180
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Real Amiga - Anything 'classic' i.e. from the Commodore Era. .
a 'real' amiga is a system than can run the 'real' AmigaOS NATIVELY and NOT EMULATED.....this is the only logical answer