English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 May 2021, 19:22   #1
stylon

Digital Audio Player (DAPlayer) & CDDA

Think I might be missing something here but is DAPlayer supposed to be able to play CD's? I just cannot get it to do anything when a CD is inserted. I have set the Device and Unit number of my CD drive in the Tooltypes to no avail.

I know my drive works as I can get other players like 'Compact' and 'ACDPlay' to play CD's fine, but I really wanted the CDDB feature of DAPlayer to get track names etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04 May 2021, 08:26   #2
crazyc

How are you outputting the audio? Some ayers process the sound via the ide output, other just tell the cd drive to play and sound is over the cdda output from the cd drive. If you don't have that connected then you won't hear anything.
I think daplayer is hardcoded to the old cddb database anyway? There are a few workarounds and in fact I think I have a thread on here with the same questions and answers.
Old 04 May 2021, 08:31   #3
crazyc

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

See if the above link works. If not its a thread I started in nov 2020
Old 04 May 2021, 09:48   #4
stylon

Thanks for that. So basically the main reason I wanted DAPlayer (the CDDB feature) doesn't even work so I may as well give up now.

My setup is slightly different anyway... I'm using an old external SCSI CD player that has a bunch of analogue RCA sockets on the back. This allows me to mix computer and CD audio and like Thomas described in that thread, the audio plays with no overhead on my Amiga.

I guess I'll have to stick with 'Compact' (http://aminet.net/package/disk/cdrom/Compact) as this allows you to create your own database which I don't mind doing as I'll probably play a limited bunch of my favourite CD's anyway.

Although that has it's own problem - it stops working after 15 minutes until you register which is most likely impossible now!
Old 04 May 2021, 09:57   #5
crazyc

Not necessarily.

FreeDB can be set to the new server and does fine looking things up and listing contents but has rubbish play controls. If it had a simple front end with play and skip buttons etc this would be my 1st choice.

I personally use ACDB to look up CDs and update the local database from the revised online one and then ACDPlay to play them (as it looks up the CD's on the local database).
Old 04 May 2021, 10:15   #6
stylon

Ooh FreeDB sounds interesting, so it's a player and not just a CD database app then? If there's no transport controls how do you play your CD's though? (I'm at work so I can't try anything out until tonight).

Not sure how ACDB and ACDPlay work together? I've been using ACDPlay to play my discs quite a bit already... is it able to talk to ACDB to display track names?

Last edited by stylon; 04 May 2021 at 10:28.
Old 04 May 2021, 10:28   #7
crazyc

There is a 'player' menu.

But I would have liked a simpler interface with just play, stop next, previous, buttons say down the left where there is a gap.
Old 04 May 2021, 10:42   #8
stylon

Awesome, I'll give that a try tonight. I'll look into ACDB and ACDPlay as well if they can communicate with each other.
Old 04 May 2021, 10:47   #9
crazyc

The advantage of freedb is its all in one app.
The acd stuff means running the downloader once for each new cd. You just set them to both save and lookup in the same folders. If you have any trouble I can check my setup later.
Old 04 May 2021, 11:00   #10
crazyc

On acdplay just set the diskpath tool type to wherever acdb saves the disks, so for me it's dh0rograms/acdb/disks

On acdb set the host tooltype to
gnudb.gnudb.org and port=80
Old 04 May 2021, 11:17   #11
stylon

Thanks crazyc, that's really helpful. Looking forward to messing around with this tonight.
Old 04 May 2021, 18:42   #12
crazyc

Same cd as previous pic but using acdplay. Click on the T after the track name to get the track details window.
Old 04 May 2021, 18:51   #13
stylon

Having a bit of an issue with freedb - not letting me add/edit the hostnames? Or rather it does but the changes aren't able to be applied or saved.

Have got ACDB and ACDPlay working though but I think I'd prefer to get FreeDB working as it looks to be a slicker overall experience.

Last edited by stylon; 05 May 2021 at 09:14. Reason: Remove Tapatalk sig.
Old 04 May 2021, 19:03   #14
crazyc

Is it the old " remember to hit enter" issue?
Old 04 May 2021, 19:27   #15
crazyc

These are the settings I added.
Have now swapped my cf card too many times (I switch between a 3.1.4 based system and a 3.9 based system, only the latter has freedb on it) and broken a pin on the cf to ide port. Dammit.
Replacement ordered and I am using an old adapter currently but have to keep the case open etc to use it.

I seem to remember having problems at the start with this as well, but somehow got through it. You only need the last host of course.
Old 04 May 2021, 23:13   #16
stylon

Well that was a bit of a fail on my part... just needed to press enter, what a dope! lol.

Working great now, definitely a shame there's no transport buttons but it's easy enough to double-click any track I want to go straight to. Just have to remember to go into the menu to stop or pause.

Got a few CD's that it hasn't recognised so far but majority get matched which is awesome!

Anyway, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Last edited by stylon; 05 May 2021 at 09:15. Reason: Remove Tapatalk sig.