English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 January 2019, 19:52   #1
Syntrax

Idea for the vampire owners - just an idea

please move if this is not the right forum.

I don't know whether the Vampire board has space left, but I suddenly realized that embedding logic for a C64 (or any 8 Bit machine) would be kick-ass. Your amiga could run C64 titles natively. The only thing needed would be software that captures amiga inputs (keyboard / mouse / joystick) and displays the C64's output (video/audio).

Anyone ever had such an idea?

Old 13 January 2019, 20:17   #2
TjLaZer

It has no space, that is why the Beta Gold 3 had to remove FPU functions or something for the beta tests...
Old 13 January 2019, 21:47   #3
grond

The Vampire can run a C=64 emulator just fine for all I know.
Old 14 January 2019, 00:53   #4
lesta_smsc

From what I can see... it makes the Amiga insanely fast and gives it certain capabilities it was not natively able to perform.

It can run SCUMMVM smoothly and that would require far more processing power than C64 lol.

I am not sure if there is a VM emulator but I suspect it could probably manage most emulators for retro consoles?
Old 15 January 2019, 10:14   #5
lord of time
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
It has no space, that is why the Beta Gold 3 had to remove FPU functions or something for the beta tests...
WRONG - it dosnt have FPU or RTG in Gold 3 as its Alpha and they only wanted to focus on testing the AGA impimentation. the vampire probably could do other cores c64, zx spectrum, sega master sytem, ect ect but i guess with the extra horse power it gives us as a CPU we may as well just stick to emulation.
Old 15 January 2019, 13:21   #6
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
WRONG - it dosnt have FPU or RTG in Gold 3 as its Alpha and they only wanted to focus on testing the AGA impimentation.

No, he is right: the V2 won't have enough space for both (S)AGA and hard-FPU. The V4 has enough room for the hard-FPU (with better precision than the V2 hard-FPU) and SAGA.
Old 15 January 2019, 13:53   #7
kriz

Try to compile vice for the vampire, or try the 68k version if is fast enough allready .. (http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/amigaos.html)
Old 15 January 2019, 16:03   #8
lord of time
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
No, he is right: the V2 won't have enough space for both (S)AGA and hard-FPU. The V4 has enough room for the hard-FPU (with better precision than the V2 hard-FPU) and SAGA.
your not understanding me - i read it as it cant do C64 ect becasue not enough space - there is plenty of space... and as it stands its a "Might not Fit" when it comes to gold... they may yet be able to optimize so its wait and see!
Old 17 January 2019, 21:39   #9
TjLaZer

Why bother when this card can run all a lot of Commodore 64 software perfectly fine and at full speed using the excellent Magic 64 emulator?
Old 18 January 2019, 07:08   #10
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Why bother when this card can run all a lot of Commodore 64 software perfectly fine and at full speed using the excellent Magic 64 emulator?
indeed.
Old 18 January 2019, 07:37   #11
Hewitson

Lol, excellent? Magic64 is buggy, inaccurate and very much outdated. Use VICE on a PC.

I just don't get why people are obsessed with running emulators and Quake/Doom/etc on Amigas. All these things run like shit even on a PPC. Just forget about it.
Old 18 January 2019, 08:27   #12
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I just don't get why people are obsessed with running emulators and Quake/Doom/etc on Amigas. All these things run like shit even on a PPC. Just forget about it.

Because Amiga is all about having a dumb framebuffer and running code on top of crufty wrapper libraries pretending to be BSD4.4-Lites.
Old 18 January 2019, 08:50   #13
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Because Amiga is all about having a dumb framebuffer and running code on top of crufty wrapper libraries pretending to be BSD4.4-Lites.
Old 18 January 2019, 09:21   #14
grond

Quote:
Lol, excellent? Magic64 is buggy, inaccurate and very much outdated. Use VICE on a PC.

Personally I don't use my PC for gaming even though there are some gaming options now for linux. Anyway, I like the idea of having one retro computer dedicated to all retro-gaming. In any case I also like to have the Amiga I would have dreamed of in the mid-90s. And that is what the Vampire is about. But let's not turn this into another pro and con Vampire thread...
Old 18 January 2019, 13:50   #15
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Personally I don't use my PC for gaming [...]
Except for some old games (type like : Tomb Raider, Descent, Lands of Lore), +1

Quote:
[...] In any case I also like to have the Amiga I would have dreamed of in the mid-90s. And that is what the Vampire is about. [...]
The Vampire is a really nice piece of work. Good idea, good result. I think that if my Amiga was still up and running, it would be with a Vampire in it .

Quote:
[...] Use VICE on a PC. [...]
Even if, on PC, VICE is to the C64 what WinUAE is to the Amiga, PC <> Amiga + Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntrax View Post
[...] I don't know whether the Vampire board has space left, but I suddenly realized that embedding logic for a C64 (or any 8 Bit machine) would be kick-ass. Your amiga could run C64 titles natively. The only thing needed would be software that captures amiga inputs (keyboard / mouse / joystick) and displays the C64's output (video/audio). [...]
Why not concerning the idea to embed the logic of a C64 in the Vampire. Just not sure about the added value (in term of maintenance I mean).
Old 18 January 2019, 14:27   #16
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
The Vampire can run a C=64 emulator just fine for all I know.
Do you have benchmarks of MagiC64 and ViCE (The latter being the better and more compatible emulator)?
Old 18 January 2019, 14:29   #17
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
MagiC64 is excellent emulator but it is not very compatible. I remember back in my A4000 times that many titles, especially disk loading games were not working. Tape games worked mostly fine though. ViCE is much better and up to date emulator of the C64.
Old 18 January 2019, 16:02   #18
ShK

Frodo works even with the real floppies
Old 19 January 2019, 13:08   #19
swinkamor12
Banned

C64 in vampire is big step back. It is waste of time, work and precious space in FPGA.
We Amiga users were always proud that we have better games than on c64.