English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 04 March 2023, 01:17   #1
amicat

AmigaDOS Lander type game/demo

I've been trawling through the internet for a few weeks now trying to find any mention of an old game that I used to play on the Amiga500 when I was young.

I have no idea what the name was or how I came to have it but my memory of it is that it was an AmigaDOS game. I think it came on a disk with other programs on it, maybe it was something that came with the Amiga when it was purchased.

The image in my head of the game itself is of a blue screen, possibly with the AmigaDOS border, and a word written in the middle of it with a large font size. That word might have said Amiga.

The idea of the game was to land a little white moon lander type craft on the word in the middle of screen. This would be achieved with 3 thrusters, a main one coming from the bottom of the craft, and 2 little ones on either side. Due to the physics of the game it was kind of difficult at first but after 15min or so it could usually be mastered.

The one thing I remember very clearly is that when you successfully landed you would the hear the recording of the actual Apollo 11 landing:

"Tranquillity base here. The Eagle has landed." "Roger, Tranquillity. We copy you down."

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I drew a little picture in Paint of what I think the craft looked like with burners activated.

Old 04 March 2023, 14:54   #2
Catflap

WB Lander

[ Show youtube player ]

Good picture you did from memory!
Old 05 March 2023, 06:21   #3
amicat

Yes! that is it, that is the one. Thank you so very much.

My memory wasn't too bad I guess but I still got a fair bit wrong. 30 years does that.

Now the next question is does anyone know which disk this was on? The description in the video mentions that it was on a magazine cover disk. I guess that is where I got it from too. I can't find anything on the youtubers website.
Old 05 March 2023, 07:26   #4
Zack

You can find it on Aminet
WB Lander
Old 05 March 2023, 07:35   #5
amicat

Thanks Zack,

I did a search on this forum and saw this thread

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...light=wblander

It lead me to the same link as yours. but that version is actually different from the one I had. The version I had is 2.1, I found it on Freds Fish Disk 114. I just played it and it was exactly how I remembered it, but, I forgot one thing. If you don't land quickly enough a flying saucer pops into the screen and tries to crash into you.

http://aminet.net/search?f=2&path=misc/fish&start=100
Old 06 March 2023, 21:07   #6
Catflap

Wow - never knew there was a version with a flying saucer in it. Guess I only had the older one.