English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 March 2023, 11:16   #61
Daedalus

Is the whole point of your thread not to create an alternative Workbench setup that avoids copyright issues? What we're discussing is on-topic.
Old 15 March 2023, 11:21   #62
Retro1234
Phone Homer

The idea of OpenBench is something helpful. I'm not going to have stupid comments about bootblocks etc that are totally detrimental to the community and developers.
Old 15 March 2023, 11:25   #63
Daedalus

If you want your OpenBench to be bootable, you need a bootblock, and if you want to avoid copyright issues, it needs to not be the standard Amiga OS one produced by the Install command.

Get over yourself.
Old 15 March 2023, 11:28   #64
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I mean it, just stop! Have a day off will you. Obviously install is designed for end users to distribute public domain software.

You and you stupid comments putting future developers' software at risk. That is enough now!

Mods delete the necessary posts.
Old 15 March 2023, 11:48   #65
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Obviously install is designed for end users to distribute public domain software.
Where did you get that idea? The Commodore documentation certainly doesn't make any mention of using it for Public Domain software.

Look, you've started talking about a project to create a working Workbench environment that doesn't use copyrighted original code; the bootblock is explicitly called out on Cloanto's website, so how is it not helpful to your project to point that out?

Quote:
You and you stupid comments putting future developers' software at risk. That is enough now!
Eh... Wat? You're the one saying things like:

Quote:
I think in general if you're just making disk that's main purpose isn't "Workbench" you can include the nescacery Libs etc
and

Quote:
Obviously install is designed for end users to distribute public domain software.
which are demonstrably false, and could lead a developer into mistakenly believing they're not using any copyrighted system code in their project.

Quote:
I mean it stop now!
Calm down. You started a discussion in a public forum and now can't handle that others are continuing it. If you don't want people to join the discussion, create a blog post or something.
Old 15 March 2023, 11:51   #66
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Moving on.........
Old 15 March 2023, 12:08   #67
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Hyperion has the rights, not Cloanto. Plus, Commodore never claimed any kind of copyright on the bootblock, and even if they had, it would be covered by fair use, eg. see the Sega vs Accolade case.

Last edited by Minuous; 15 March 2023 at 12:13.
Old 15 March 2023, 12:25   #68
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Quote:
I think in general if you're just making disk that's main purpose isn't "Workbench" you can include the nescacery Libs etc much like coverdisks back on the day .
I was humoring you, being nice to you,. understand. Now I won't engage with you anymore.
Old 15 March 2023, 13:48   #69
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Hyperion has the rights, not Cloanto. Plus, Commodore never claimed any kind of copyright on the bootblock, and even if they had, it would be covered by fair use, eg. see the Sega vs Accolade case.
Well, whoever actually owns the rights is ultimately to be decided by the courts, but as things stand, Cloanto claim to have distribution rights up to and including 3.1, and behave as if that the case including filing lawsuits. As for the bootblock thing, it's news to me too that that's a potential issue, but Cloanto are claiming it as akin to the system files. I also suspect it would come under fair use, but who's gonna challenge that if threatened? Very few developers in the Amiga community would do anything other than pay the $99 or simply stop distributing their product.
Old 15 March 2023, 14:05   #70
Gorf

I mean, its not like there aren't any alternative Bootblocks out there:

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/BootWriter
http://aminet.net/package/dev/asm/FredoBBUtils
Old 15 March 2023, 14:11   #71
Daedalus

Yup, writing a bootblock is trivial, and that's a couple of good suggestions for Retro1234 to include instead of the Install command if desired.
Old 15 March 2023, 22:36   #72
oscar_ates

Who has the Amiga OS rights now?
Old 15 March 2023, 22:40   #73
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_ates View Post
Who has the Amiga OS rights now?
Cloperion
Old 15 March 2023, 23:13   #74
gulliver
BoingBagged

I had a similar idea long ago, I even posted it up on the web.

I, in fact, named it "FreeBench". So please be kind to use another name.
"OpenBench" seems nice.

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/FreeBench.htm

There is not a download on that page, but more of a short summary of what was my inital project and the results achieved.

I have the resulting adf image somewhere in an ancient backup. But to be honest, it would not be that useful anymore.

I am eager to help you, or anyone for that matter, or answer any related question to help you on your own journey if you wish to.

My adventure ended up in being caught too much into the inner workings of AmigaOS, and becoming part of the AmigaOS Team(68k) since 2017.

In any case, I always thought it would be attractive asking Hyperion for free redistribution permission of a basic set of AmigaOS system files for developers and users to enable everyone to offer their software creations in a bootable medium with some basic functionality (of course, not a complete OS).
Old 16 March 2023, 01:09   #75
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post

"OpenBench" seems nice.

There is not a download on that page, but more of a short summary of what was my inital project and the results achieved.

I have the resulting adf image somewhere in an ancient backup. But to be honest, it would not be that useful anymore.

I am eager to help you, or anyone for that matter, or answer any related question to help you on your own journey if you wish to.

My adventure ended up in being caught too much into the inner workings of AmigaOS, and becoming part of the AmigaOS Team(68k) since 2017.

In any case, I always thought it would be attractive asking Hyperion for free redistribution permission of a basic set of AmigaOS system files for developers and users to enable everyone to offer their software creations in a bootable medium with some basic functionality (of course, not a complete OS).
hehe did you see my post about calling it FreeBench that's so funny.
Please take a look its in the Zone, and if you feel like adding to it please do.
I do feel it maybe superseded by AROS completely one day but it's just a bit of fun.
Old 16 March 2023, 11:57   #76
OlafSch

Quote:

"OpenBench" seems nice.

what a sad end ending in amigaos team

what was included in your distribution? What were the differences/improvements compared to standard 3.1?

And yes AROS will propably never run sufficiently on standard amiga hardware. There are several reasons, most important certainly lack of skilled developers who want to do that. But with PiStorm and Apollo there are at least options today.
Old 17 March 2023, 00:31   #77
EctoOne

Interesting project.

The only thing I'm missing so far is lha and a file manager. For a different project I stumbled across http://aminet.net/package/util/dir/mtool22 which can read lha archives directly (if lha is available I believe) so maybe it might be worth adding.

One question, where exactly do these aros files come from? I tried different downloads from the aros homepage before and wasn't able to find them.

Edit: I also suggest http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/MyFormat1.28 instead of MFormat. It is newer and smaller. Without the Apps and Storage folders it almost fits on a disk.

Last edited by EctoOne; 17 March 2023 at 03:20.
Old 17 March 2023, 11:11   #78
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm happy to include your suggestions in the next update. I don't know when that will be. But if anyone wants to add them go ahead then I think it will truly deserve the name OpenBench.

The AROS stuff came from the nightly builds.
https://aros.sourceforge.io/nightly1.php
Old 17 March 2023, 13:37   #79
EctoOne

OK, thanks for the info. For some reason I can't properly read the iso file with uae4arm.
Old 17 March 2023, 17:19   #80
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Personally I am embracing the retro experience by 'pirating' everything in sight from that time, and I don't care if bloodsuckers like Cloanto theoretically have the rights to it. It they want people to buy their product they should consider giving their customers and all classic Amiga owners (who are still legitimate licensees of the OS that came with the machine) the right to distribute essential system files that they know we already have the rights to. This wouldn't hurt their sales at all, in fact it might even increase sales if buying their product gave you an automatic license.
Totally agree with this sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
If you are afraid that 'just doing it' is too risky then the next obvious solution is to write your own replacement code, which should be made free and open source so others can also use it without fear. That innovation is what copyright laws are supposed to promote! And if that results in Cloanto losing sales that's their fault for not being reasonable.
Good point as well.

Quote:

"OpenBench" seems nice.

Looks interesting.

Last edited by modrobert; 17 March 2023 at 17:24.