English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 18 October 2001, 23:25   #1
Drake1009

Time for a virus hunt?

Ok I've just downloaded and tried to test out the games Cody were so nice as to upload on my A1200. Problem is that none of them worked. Well first I tried Yogi's great escape. On the 3.1(I think that's it) ROM it would just load and then stop. I tried kicking up with TUDE using a kickstart from a relokick disk. That just brought up a Guru. I tried moving a copy of the 1.3 kickstart I use on emulators over too to see if that helped. It didn't. Still gurus.

I shrugged and tried to run the greed monster. That one has some sort of boot option. It showed up with a blue background, no viruses found. I left clicked and it gurued on me. The same when I tried kicking the Amiga into 1.3 mode. I thought of trying the relokick rom again since it's smaller and thus faster to load, so I replaced the file on the hd with the one from relokick again and tried booting up. This time something different happened though. The background turned red and it reported that it had found a virus. This was strange. I tried booting from the relokick disk instead (after having had the system powered down for a while) still a virus had been found. Luckily I had an alternate relokick disk which I had used once and only once. It did the exact same thing. Something's bad wrong here.

Now I would like to know. Could it be because of the smaller kick.rom that the intro seemingly locates a virus when it goes clear through with the other rom? Could it be something in my system which just gets overwritten with the new large rom but which is still there because the smaller rom does not take up the same amount of space? Is there a way I can find out?
Old 19 October 2001, 10:31   #2
Paul
RIP Friends

Just checked all 3 disks with VirusExecutor and no virus was reported.

I do remember when I used to use my A600HD I installed a virus checker which checks the memory during startup. When I used skick to boot up from 2.1 in 3.0 the virus checker reported a virus in memory and floppy boot virus checkers did also. When looking at the memory hex printout [I think its called that] it had skick and rom 3.0 in the title.

Anyway Yogi'sBigCleanUp was the only one I got to run in winuae but was too fast.
Old 19 October 2001, 10:48   #3
Drake1009

I just thought it was strange. One second it didn't report a virus. 1 filecopy later and a reboot it did.

Last time I scanned my system, the scan did find a virus, the virus was in a HD version of Bubble bobble I had just downloaded (I think from spookyz site, not sure) which was strange because it was lying dormant on my HD. I played it once and never touched the game again. When it reported a virus(actually 2) I just deleted the game.
Old 19 October 2001, 11:14   #4
Paul
RIP Friends

Sorry I did not read you first post fully.

When you powered down and restarted was a virus still found before the kick rom replacement was applied?

If so it sounds like a real virus but VirusExecutor did not find any. It could be because I am using an emulator and it only affects the real machine. Plus VirusExecutor may also not run correctly with emulators.

Someone else will have to solve this problem as I have exceded my knowledge, which is small.

This is as far as I get with Yogi's great escape in winfellow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled1.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1052  
Old 19 October 2001, 11:20   #5
Drake1009

No it didn't find a virus when I powered up normally. Only when kicking up with the relokick disk. I just tried replacing the relokick rom file with the full one used in emulation again, and then no viruses were detected.

But I think it might be because the relokick rom might be better at finding viruses. It somehow seems there's a primitive virusguard in the image. Back before I found a replacement for Hudson hawk I kicked up using relokick and a red box much like the guru box just larger appeared with a lot of code in it telling me this might be something from a virus. It never did that with my A500 while I still had the monitor.

When just plain booting up on the disk it doesn't show any viruses.

I'm just plain confused.

I just tried loading up workbench and running a couple of things and then using the Amiga-Amiga-CTRL combination to reboot and then have the disk in the drive which would mean that if there were a virus it should find it, which it didn't.
Old 19 October 2001, 11:23   #6
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
I'm just plain confused.
So am I
Old 19 October 2001, 12:23   #7
Drake1009

Well I think maybe it's the smaller kick.rom which springs a couple of alerts on some virus scanners. I'm going with that until someone else can say that it isn't the problem. I just scanned the entire system without finding one trace of a virus.

As for yogi in the greed monster. Well I got it sort of working. Bad graphics errors, but if I use tude to degrade the system (still in 3.1 mode) and then run the file from the disk in workbench it runs fine except the previously mentioned graphics errors which might be related to the AGA chipset.

It doesn't seem like my A1200 wants to run WB1.3 though. I tried degrading with tude to a 1.3 rom and then load WB1.3 from disk. I just get gurus.
Old 19 October 2001, 14:20   #8
Paul
RIP Friends

Got Yogi's great escape, Retroman version, to work in Winuae 14r1 using kick1.2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55.png
Views:	423
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1056  
Old 19 October 2001, 14:22   #9
Paul
RIP Friends

Here is the config. May work with kick1.3 but I used kick1.2.
Attached Files
File Type: uae kick1.2.uae (1.9 KB, 296 views)
Old 19 October 2001, 14:49   #10
Drake1009

yeah I just tried Retroman's version on my A1200 where it works fine when degrading with Tude to 1.3 kickstart.

Strange thing is that Retroman and Cody's versions both seem to be Scoopex versions (Or is that my memory failing me?)
Old 19 October 2001, 18:06   #11
Amiga1992

Drake, afaik, the only thing you can't do with Relokick's ROM image is loading Workbench stuff. As soon as you try opening a window (or double-clicking an icon, can't remember), it will freeze the meega (no Guru).

When I dont need Workbench stuff I always use Relokick;'s image, for it is smaller
Old 19 October 2001, 18:25   #12
Drake1009

For me it gurus before it gets to showing the workbench. But I think I've managed to start 1.3 games which were to be launched from (a scraped version of) WB which came on the disk, like SimCity.
Old 19 October 2001, 19:55   #13
RetroMan

Hmmm, did someone allready compared my and Cody´s version ?? I didn´t download yet, no spare time to do, but I never had any problems with my version !!
Old 19 October 2001, 20:45   #14
Drake1009

Well you could say compare in a way. When Cody's version refused to work I tried your version which worked.
Old 19 October 2001, 20:59   #15
RetroMan